“Impossible For Pakistan Team To Win World Cup” - Sarfraz Nawaz

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Jan 27, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    [​IMG]ISLAMABAD – Known for his sarcastic style and allegations, former fast bowler Sarfaraz Nawaz says that national team is facing extreme division.

“The national cricket team is divided and it just an unbalanced team for World Cup 2015,” he said.
    He uttered these words in a time when Pakistan senior players have already refused to sign temporary contracts offered by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). Misbah ul Haq, Shahid Afridi, Younis Khan and others have refused to sign a 3-month contract.

The issue emerges just before the team left for New Zealand for a series.

On the other hand, PCB was of the view that senior players would be retired after the world cup and three months contract was devised given this future scenario.

“Pakistan team will qualify for the quarter finals of the mega event, but it would be difficult for them to advance further,” Sarfaraz said.

Putting aside the possible that Pakistan team could win the tournament, he advised that Moin Khan should return immediately to remove internal fissures in the team.

Moin Khan is the chief selector of the team and is with the team till the end of the world cup.

The world cup will be starting from next month in Australia and New Zealand with India to defend its title.

http://www.pakistantribe.com/story/30326/impossible-for-pakistan-team-to-win-world-cup/

2. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    THIS is exactly what the kind of backing the team needed, brilliant. :clap

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  3. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    Who cares about what Sarfraz Nawaz says? Total loser himself.. So what if our team is unbalanced? Giving these stupid conferences in public is showing how much he respects his country. These former-cricketers speak too much crap.

4. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Sarfaraz crying again.

5. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    There isn't a day when Qadir and him don't wake up cranky.

• List
  6. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Here are top 5 reasons Pakistan will not win the world cup:

1. Misbah
    2. Younis
    3. Hafeez
    4. Shehzad
    5. Ghost

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  7. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Shehzad?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  8. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Where did he say impossible?

9. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    I wonder if Sarfaraz was ever a positive guy ? I mean I have never heard him say anything positive about a player, Pakistan cricket or cricket in general. Forget positive I have never heard him say anything neutral.
    I wonder what happened and how it happened ? You cant be this negative and just be purely full of hate for no dam reason.
    And most times he doesn't even make sense he would say just the most asinine things out of pure hate. Imran fixed matches, all the players were drunk when they played that game, Malik mafia is ruining the team etc etc. Then he goes and joins MQM in Punjab. I mean why would you do that unless you just like to piss people off. Its like his whole purpose of existence is to piss people off for no reason whatsoever.

• List
  10. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    They need to write his comments on the walls of their dressing room.

11. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    I don't recall Sarfraz Nawaz ever saying anything positive about Pakistan cricket- even back in 2005/6 when we were playing well and got ourselves up to number 2 in the test rankings and number 3 in the ODI rankings- he was still barking his nonsense.

I stopped taking him seriously a long time ago!

12. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Never liked Sarfraz Nawaz. Had he lived in a country with a good, functional judicial system and defamation law then he would have been broke and on the streets.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  13. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    He just wants attention and this is the best way to get it. What a loser, I pay no attention to him.

• List
  14. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Most of the time he speaks crap but at least this time he is stating the obvious.

My biggest issue with him was/is that he always said he had proofs that players were involved in fixing but he NEVER presented them and NEVER will.

15. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Not like he's saying something that most of us aren't already expecting.

16. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    You need to back a team if it got capable players. Pakistan got nothing to intimidate opponents. Even Irish will ride Pak pacers.

17. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    You got to back them no matter what. In the end they are representing your country.

18. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Since 1999 when exactly have we ever played well? There have been three world cups since and our results have been as follows:
    2003 - First round exit
    2007 - First round exit
    2011 - We reached semi finals but the tournament was tailor made for subcontinent teams and of the three subcontinent teams we were the worst (not counting Bangladesh here)

So yes, Sarfaraz has been overly critical of Pakistan team for past 10 to 15 years and rightly so too. We have moved no where over this period and if anything have become worse. Rather than putting up a false positive face we should accept that our team is crap and start criticizing it for what it is.

19. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    That would be the snail at the top with strike rate lower than that of Hafeez, Younis and Misbah. Only the ghost has a worse strike rate than Shehzad.

20. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Dude, he's the only consistent opener we've had in years. And as long as he sticks out at the top by playing slowly, I think I'm okay. Who would you even replace him with?

• List
  21. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Just because there's no better replacement doesn't mean he's not the slowest batsman in the team, slowest ODI opener we've had since 80s, and slowest current opener in the world. He's allegedly 25 and still slower than the slow geezers in the team. Our top 4 is the top 4 reasons why we won't win the world cup.

22. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    In 2006 we were world number 2 in the test rankings and world number 3 in the ODI rankings.

23. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I understand what you're saying but he also opens the innings, which requires him to play slowly. He's still finding his feet. Would you rather someone got out for 7 off 19? Or 12 from 33? Or would you rather someone get 52 from 84. Or 126 from 128 was it?

24. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Yeah but other countries cheat with their Gayles, Warners, Amlas, McCullums, Sharmas etc. Don't they know that openers are required to play slowly?

• List
  25. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    And the very next year we were booted out of world cup in first round. Decent performances for a year or two doesn't mean your team is good. It could just mean that couple of your key players are performing at their peak (Yousaf, Akhter etc) or you are not playing cricket in testing conditions.

26. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Decent is a total under-statement. We had been consistently performing in ODIs for a good three years (hence pur world ranking of 3) and in tests too (hence our world ranking of 2- the second best test team in the entire universe, ranked behind only Australia).

I wasn't talking about the world cup only but our overall performance In that period which as the rankings show we were playing superb cricket yet Sarfraz was still barking. So the performance of the team has no influence on Sarfraz, he will bark regardless of the team's performance, hence I stopped taking him seriously ages ago

27. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Pakistan’s poor show against local team bad signal: Sarfraz

[​IMG]
    ISLAMABAD - Former Test cricketer Sarfraz Nawaz Tuesday said Pakistan's consecutive defeats against New Zealand's Board President XI team was a bad signal for the green-shirts to win the World Cup.

The team's mediocre performance even against locals showed that the players lacked the passion and aggression, he said while talking to APP.

The team lost the first one day international (ODI) against Board President by six wickets and the second by one wicket.

It may be mentioned that Pakistan will play two ODIs against the New Zealand team on January 31 and February 3.

Sarfraz advised the team management to boost players' confidence to avoid total collapse in the mega event, where they would have to fight their nerves against world's best competitors.

He said both Moin Khan and Waqar Younis should play their due role being seniors, who had faced such situations in the past.

He said the team's morale had already shaken due to the absence of main bowlers Saeed Ajmal and Junaid Khan.

M Hafeez would also not be able to bowl.

He said the selected bowlers would have to deliver, otherwise, it would cost the team.

Sohail Tanvir should have been included in the squad as being an all-rounder he could help the team with his bowling and batting.

Praising Misbah-ul-Haq and Umar Akmal, Sarfraz said the Pakistan captain had proved his class that he was still a mainstay for the team as a batsman.

"Rumours were spread before team's announcement for the World Cup that Misbah would be dropped from the World Cup squad because of his hamstring injury.

Misbah proved his critics wrong through his performance.
    "
    Misbah had scored 107 and 88 not out while Umar made 68 and 77, respectively in the first and second ODIs against Board President XI.

Sarfraz said same was the case for Umar, who also proved his selection right.

He urged the Pakistan Cricket (PCB) to solve the central contracts issue so that players could play the World Cup with peace of mind.

"The PCB should give importance to the players' performance before taking any decision," he concluded.

http://nation.com.pk/sports/28-Jan-2015/pakistan-s-poor-show-against-local-team-bad-signal-sarfraz

28. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    He's got it right for a change!

29. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    He is stating obvious.. only way we will win worldcup will be down to some miracle

30. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Not just that, unlike those openers, Shahzad played most of cricket on roads of dubai.. hardly any movement for fast bowlers..

31. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Sarfaraz the joker as usual will be proven wrong Insha'Allah.

• List
  32. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    How many ICC tournaments or any major titles did we win during this time? Please give me examples of this superb cricket we were playing?

33. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Lol

Nauman you can go to cricinfo and look at the archives. The facts are the facts- we were WORLD NUMBER 2 in test rankings and WORLD NUMBER 3 in ODI rankings.

We didn't get there with just a few matches here and there.

My point remains- that even when we are playing good cricket, one thing you can guarantee is that Mr Sarfraz Baqwaas will be bhonking like a chow chow.

His comments and his opinion, therefore, mean absolutely nothing to me. They belong in the gutter. I never take anything he says seriously and never will.

34. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    So Sarfraz think we don't have any chance because we're not good enough/have an unbalanced squad, but then he want to include Sohail Tanvir?

• List
  35. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Are you Sarfaraz's son by any chance?

36. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    So I did look up the archives, lets have a look at our ODI record from 1 January 2004 to 31 December 2006. It is decent at best.

Around 50% win ratio against England, a little over 50% against India and an okayish record against West Indies and Sri Lanka. Point is we were hardly setting the world on fire. Fact that we were number 3 just shows how poor other teams were.
    Pakistan 2004 - 2006.png

My honest opinion is that Sarfraz is right on money when he criticizes Pakistan, its just that we are too deluded to see the truth.

37. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    But we were still ranked number 2 in tests and 3 IN ODIs :)

So we were officially the 2nd and 3rd best team in the world at the time. Sarfraz has never stopped barking and he never will.

38. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Well, me memory may be failing me but I don't recall us being #2 in tests. We were good in ODIs.
    Can you give any reference/link for those rankings?

or even sometime frame for which we were good in tests?

Below are Tests W/L from 2004-2006.

1-28-2015 7-44-17 AM.jpg

P.S. I am not disputing Sarfraz bad mouthing the players and the team all the time - except when he is employed by PCB.

39. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I think we moved to no. 2 for a very very very brief period. That time period was so brief that we should not even be celebrating that fact.

40. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    This is Pakistan. The whole team is playing slowly.

And I honestly think Shehzad will be the last reason we'll lose the world cup. If he gets us solid starts and you don't have a replacement even for the 2nd opener, let alone Shehzad, then you have little to complain or blame it on him.

Maybe add some bowlers to your list.

• List