1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

100th ODI win for Dhoni as captain!

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by TM Riddle, Mar 19, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. TM Riddle

TM Riddle Smooth Operator

Feb 2, 2013
    Congratulations to him.Easily the greatest ODI captain from subcontinent ever.

2. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
  3. TM Riddle

Feb 2, 2013
    Expected.
    Next please

4. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    He is even not the greatest Indian Captain let alone from Subcontinent.

5. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    congratulations to dhoni.

excellent captain.. considering he has to keep wickets, lead in all formats + lead in IPL and is one of their main batsman..

above all he has to face the most emotional fans in the world....but i wont say he is the greatest from subcontinent.. everyone has his opinion TM Riddle

6. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    He's built on tremendously well on the platform set by Ganguly.

Definitely one of the best captains to come out of the subcontinent.

7. TM Riddle

Feb 2, 2013
    1 ODI wc, champions trophy, 1 t20 wc, No 1 test team for a while.
    Need I say more?

8. TM Riddle

Feb 2, 2013
    And I respect that but do take a look at the second post in the thread and you will understand why I replied that way.

9. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    congrats to a great odi captain and great odi player. Agree with desi ghee he built upon the foundation laid by another of my favourite indians, apu from the simpsons Saurav Ganguly

one of my all time favourite indians pipped to the post by dharmendra, mitun chakaborty with an honourable mention to Katrina Kaif

10. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    The guy has won everything in limited overs cricket. If hes not the best limited overs skipper he is definitley a contendor.

11. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    When Dhoni took over, I said that he would be the best Indian captain after Ganguly and that his Indian team would be the best Indian team of all time. Both those things have happened but he's also nearly surpassed Ganguly as a captain as well.

He's definitely a great captain but I think if Ganguly had been the Indian captain in a batsman friendly era with flat tracks worldwide, restrictive fielding rules and two new balls from each end then his record would have been as good if not better than Dhoni's

Plus Dhoni has had real wicket taking options whilst Ganguly had Prasad, Srinath, Agarkar, Nehra, etc. Other than Zaheer he didnt have any real wicket taking pacers.

Ganguly has the better Test record even with far fewer resources both financially and talent wise. Ganguly did more with what he had. Dhoni did well with a very strong side but he has had a side which should have done a lot better, especially in the Test arena.

If Ganguly had been in Dhoni's place this Indian team could have been head and shoulders the most dominant team of this era. They have arguably the best batting in the world (not individuals but as a unit) and they take wickets regularly because of the pressure created by the ability of their batsmen. Even if India are batting second, opposition teams crumble under the pressure of Indian runs before they've even been scored. Because they know the Indian team will chase down anything below 300 with ease and even 300 isn't that big a deal for them.

So overall I'd still put Dhoni behind Ganguly but in limited overs he is the most successful Indian captain.