1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

12 best cricketers of all time in order of merit combining tests and ODIS equally?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Jul 18, 2020.

Who was the best cricketer of all combining test matches and ODIS?

1. Viv Richards

25.0%
  2. Sachin Tendulkar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Brian Lara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ricky Ponting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Imran Khan

75.0%
  6. Kapil Dev

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Wasim Akram

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Waqar Younus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Malcolm Marshall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Glen Mcgrath

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Greg Chappell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Javed Miandad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Dennis Lillee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Dale Steyn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Richard Hadlee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Muralitharan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011
    My 12 best cricketers of all combining test matches and ODI's equally. Excludes any great cricketer who has not played ODI cricket or not more than 12 games .Equal emphasis given on tests and ODIS.

1.Viv Richards-Decimated or intimidated opposition more than anyone and best match-winner.At top because he was also an all-time great captain unlike Sachin.Best of all ODI batsmen who championed finals in tournaments.Never lost a test series as a skipper from 1985-91.In peak period in combined cricket best of all batsmen.No cricketer delivered a greater death blow.His batting average in world cups speaks for itself ,as well as in 1977-78 in WSC supertests and when averaging over 118 in 4 tests in England in 1976 or 96.50 in Australia in 1979-80.Great cricketers have read Viv as more daunting than even Sachin or Lara,including those from later eras.

2.Sachin Tendulkar-The most complete of all batsmen whose staggering figures of 100 centuries is a yardstick for everyone.Not the greatest match-winner but for longevity the ultimate champion.Mastered any kind of conditions with consistency unmatched.Still did not win as many games as he could have lanking consistency in delivering a knockout punch.

3.Wasim Akram-Endowed with genius which arguably no pace bowler ever posessed with his magical variations.Even if Mcgrath had better stats it was Wasim who was morally the more impactful in all types of conditions.Best ever ODI bowler.For a period also a very successful test and ODI captain.Rated high also because he won more man of the match awards than any fast bowler of his time.

4.Shane Warne-The best match-wining cricketer of his day and leg-spinner ever who gave the art of leg spin a new definition.Above all played the biggest role in Australia's rise to an almost invincible cricketing power.

5.Imran Khan-Arguably the most charismatic cricketer ever who shaped his nation's destiny as none ever did.As a skipper took hi steam to reach the pedestal of joint unofficial world test champion sin 1988 in West Indies and official world ODI champion sin the 1992 world cup.From 1981-87 the best all-rounder in the world and at his peak close to the bets ever bowler .Although not attacking,Imran played some of the most defining innings in tests and ODI's ,becoming a great batsman towards the end of his career.I can never forget his bowling spells v India at Karchi and Hyderabad in 1982-83,at Leeds in 1987,at Trinidada and Georgetown in 1988 and earlier at Sydney in 1976-77.Close to the greatest of match-winners and all-time great captains.

6.Jacques Kallis-In terms of figures the best cricketer ever and arguably the 2nd best all-rounder of all time,if not the best.A model of consistency who at his peak also championed cause with the ball.However often did not step the gas to the extent required and scored bulk of runs against weaker opposition.To bat for your life he was the best of all all-rounders and also had some big scores versus Australia.Not great with both bat and ball at same time like Sobers.

7.Virat Kohli-Figures speak for themselves and he is the only one likey to emulate Sachin Tendulkar.Possesses match-winning killer instinct more than any batsmen today being a master in manouvering matches around him.

8.Brian Lara-No batsmen was blessed with more creative genius or natural talent or who could single-handedly win games for his team.At his best a better match-winner than even Tendulkar.

9.Richard Hadlee-The best ever bowler on green tops with a staggering haul of scalps as well as 5 and 10 wicket hauls,inspite of spearheading bowling attack of such a weak team.The most clinical pacemen of his day with more control than Lillee and Roberts.Also a more than useful batsmen.

10.Glen Mcgrath- Statistically the best ever bowler ,posessing more control and more relentless than anyone.-,with possible exception of Garner,Ambrose and Hadlee.Won 84 test matches for his country

11.Javed Miandad-Not the most elegant or technically correct but a master craftsman and ultimate one to niggle opponents or be a scourge in their eyes.Manipulated a cricket ball with great precision and imagination to be the biggest thorn in the flesh to opposition in a crisis.The one I would wish to have most in the climax of an ODI run chase,to steer a side across the line.

12.Ricky Ponting-One of the best players of genuine pace,front foot batsman and best exponents of the pull and hook shot ever.One of the architects in building the Australian cricketing empire taking his nation to the top of the pedestal in both forms of the game,as a player and captain.Arguably after Bradman no Australian batsman dominated bowling to the degree of Ricky,who looked like an ultimate batting machine.At one stage looked likely to rival Tendulkar ,but then declined after 2007.Not outstanding against spin or on turning surfaces .He also had an advantage of representing a champion side,thus not ranked with Tendulkar or Lara.

2. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    This one is easy for me, Imran Khan as combined Best Test and ODI player. You get one of the best all rounder cricket world has ever produced. You also get a leader who could inspire the team with bat and ball.

3. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
  4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    when you talk about a "cricketer" then you will need to expand your vision and go beyond the numbers and statistics.

In my personal belief, all the "cricketers" that were ever born, and all the "cricketers" that will be ever born, have one grand daddy of them all, and this is no other than Imran Khan.

He is like a sky on top of inhabitants of the planet earth. You can't surpass him no matter who you are and how good you are.

I also do not agree with Tendulkar being the world's number to 2 "cricketer". He was a great, perhaps greatest of them all, "BATSMAN" who was hungry for personal runs. And he did a pretty darn good job for it; however, that pushes him way down the list of world's top "cricketers". I will probably rate Dravid, higher than Tendulkar as Dravid played for the team, and not personal records.
    Number 2 in my opinion is Steve Waugh. Now, THAT'S what you call a "cricketer".

5. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
  6. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
  7. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    I completely agree with what @ShokoTolo_LoloMoto said. However, I think Sachin is atleast no. 3 despite all these factors. I also rate Wasim Akram very highly.

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    This is one reason why I rate Misbah so highly too... he took all the pain on himself like Sachin but built a team during his tenure... Sachin despite all his ills is still a great legend cricketer but cant surpass Imran Khan or Steve Waugh in terms of greatness as they defined what leaders ought to be... they led from the front and won their teams world cups. Imran Khan ne aisi team build karke di thi ke next 2-3 World Cups mein se atleast 1 World Cup to jeetna chahye tha but they squandered that opportunity due to Wasim Waqar rivalry and infightings within the team itself. Steve Waugh ne team build karke di Ricky Ponting ne us team se faida uthaya aur 2003 aur 2007 ka World Cup jeeta diya Australia ko...

9. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Cronje and Azhar and Saleem Malik were great leaders too but they all got involved in match fixing..

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Ranatunga and Aravinda for Sri Lanka they were class in 96, totally unstoppable at that time. Jayasurya and Kalu at top and Shahid Afridi and Saeed Anwar introduced a totally new brand of cricket.

11. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    It is very funny how Indians over the last decade suddenly love combining Tests and ODIs. Why? 3 reasons

Tendulkar
    Tendulkar
    Tendulkar

They spent 20 years shouting he’s the greatest cricketer, batsman etc ever. They were making out he is so good, it’s not even an argument - like Bradman in his era. Bradman statistically was incomparable. His average was ridiculously better than his peers.

However, tendulkar was clearly not clearly better than his peers in either Tests alone or either ODIs alone. His average is not the best in tests, his average + strike rate combo is not the best in ODIs.

So now this new criteria comes in about Tests and ODIs combined - bringing the well marketed 100 100s rubbish - a lot of which came in meaningless ODIs that no one even remembers.

Nice touch by Harsh here to put Viv ahead of him in this list to show some apparent impartiality, but this is mainly to keep Tendulkar in the argument.

Because in reality Tendulkar as a “cricketer” wouldn’t even make the top 10 when you consider the likes of Imran, Sobers, Kallis, even begrudgingly Botham etc, but they can be discounted because of the combination of tests and odis and all of those guys excelled in tests and ODIs were a side show then and didn’t exist in Sobers’ time.

12. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
  13. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010

I totally agree with these sentiments.
    Indians can't get their head out of Tendulkar's a$$. It now really has becoming boring and yawn worthy.

And seriously, Tendulkar doesn't even have that charm which makes him a likable or attractive person.

Just imagine.
    There is a Bollywood movie in making where Shahid Afridi is playing the hero role against Ashwariya Rai. The movie has lots of hot love scenes between the two.
    Who fits the perfect role of a villain in this movie? With his squeaky voice and evil hairstyle, obviously Tendulkar.

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
  15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    1. Imran Khan - best ever cricketer

2. Glenn McGrath

3. Jacques Kallis

16. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    1. Imran Khan
    2. Steve Waugh
    3. Sachin Tendulkar
    4. Wasim Akram
    5. Cronje / Inzamam / Misbah

17. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    No Gary Sobers here-arguably best of all-rounders who was a greater match-winner than Imran or Kallis?Why no Tendulkar also?

18. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Why Steve Waugh ahead of Tendulkar who has much better record?

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    I haven’t watched Gary Sobers play, and also his stats are only Test cricket. I prefer combined stats. Sachin at 4th most likely for me, as he was a pure batsman. Glenn McGrath mainly because of his unparalleled achievements. Imran and Kallis were complete cricketers, all-rounders, hence in top 3.

20. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    For the reason @ShokoTolo_LoloMoto pointed out..

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I would place Shane Warne and Brian Lara at No. 6..

22. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    since i started following cricket (98/99 onward)

1. Sachin Tendulkar
    2. Wasim Akram
    3. Jacques Kallis
    4. Glen MCgrath
    5. Muralitharan
    6. Shan Warne
    7. Kumar Sangakara
    8. Ricky Ponting
    9. Glen Mcgrath
    10. Virat Kohli

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

23. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Wah never knew there were two Mcgraths playing in those time.

24. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Sangakara legend hai aur Saeed Anwar aur Inzamam legends nahi hein? What about Mohd Yousuf?

Even though Tendulkar was better than Wasim overall but I would back Wasim to get Sachin out atleast 6 times out of 10.

[email protected] Kohli legend? Saeed Anwar legend nahi aur Kohli legend hai thats funny sorry to be too harsh..

1. Imran Khan
    2. Steve Waugh
    3. Sachin
    4. Wasim Akram
    5. Cronje / Inzamam
    6. Saeed Anwar
    7. Shane Warne
    8. Misbah
    9. Mohd Yousuf / Mark Waugh
    10. Saqlain Mushtaq / Shahid Afridi / Shoaib Akhtar / Mohd Asif / Mohd Amir / Saeed Ajmal

As a player Wasim Akram se bara player Imran Khan bhi nahi tha but issue yeh hai ke Imran Khan ki captaincy and other factors made him bigger player than anybody on this planet could ever dream to be..

Jehan tak talent ka taluq hai Wasim Akram jaisa eik player bhi nahi puri list mein,... Wasim was that much talented... Wasim Akram jaisa talent cricket ki history mein koi nahi aaya...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2020
  25. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Players I had pleasure to watch

Viv Richards
    Martin Crowe
    Imran Khan
    Javed Miandad
    Waqar Younis
    Shane Warne
    Ricky Ponting
    Inzamam ul Haq
    Curtly Ambrose
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Adam Gilchrist
    Jacques Kallis
    Brian Lara

26. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Better batsman maybe but better cricketer? Tendulkar should not even be in the argument for best cricketer.

He was only a batsman that bowled some lollipops that sometimes fluked a few wickets here n there.

27. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Imran and Viv I'd probably put on the same page even though one was an all rounder the other a batsman.

Sachin Tendulkar
    Wasim Akram
    Waqar Younis

I'm just going with 5 here for now.

28. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Completely agree, he is great if not one of the greatest batsman but complete package he was not.

29. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

30. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Waqar was my favourite bowler ever, but Tendulkar and Waqar should not be in the list as they were exclusively only greats in their speciality.

Even without the batting for Waqar and the bowling bowling for Tendulkar, if either of them were world class fielders or great captains then there’s an argument to put them in there. Unfortunately both were poor captains and nothing stands out in their fielding either.

31. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    So who's yours then if these 2 shouldn't be in anyone's list