12 best Pakistani batsmen of all

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Oct 13, 2012.

Who was the best Pakistan batsman ever?

1. Javed Miandad

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Inzamam -Ul-Haq

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Hanif Mohammad

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Saed Anwar

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. Zaheer Abbas

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Mohammad Yousuf

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011
    This is my list of top 10 Pakistan batsman in order of merit.Hanif Mohammad's superb record against great bowling overseas places him 2nd.Zaheer Abbas's brilliance in English first -class cricket and great double-hundreds in England gave him the edge over Inzamam,while Majid Khan was much better than his 39.8 average suggested.At his best Salim Malik was close to Javed Miandad.

1.Javed Miandad

The best batsman to bat for your life posessed some subtle strokes of his own and was capable of demoralising an opposition's bowling attack.A master at the pull shot who displayed great skill in test matches one day internationals.No Pak batsman irritated the opposition more.Scored runs allover the world from the turning sub-continent pitches,the seaming English tracks to the bouncy Wst Indian and Australian wickets.In the late 1980’s the first batsman to de-throne Viv Richards from the no 1 spot.In a crisis the best batsman of his time with great match-winning talent than Alan Border.Posesed a subtle element of genius and orinality in his batting.

He scored 8832 runs at 52.57 with 23 centuries which is remarkable He averaged about 45 overseas .However it was his defiance which will be remembered.He was a scourge in the eyes of great bowlers who prized his wicket.Ina crisis he was the best batsman of his era.He is the greatest ever Pakistani batsman ,even though he was not as technically sound as Hanif Mohammad,graceful as Zaheer Abbas or a match-winner like Inzamam.None of them performed as well on broken wickets or against such great pace bowling.Infact Javed's batting posessed a subtle genius of it's own,particularly his pull and chip shots.To me he was amongst the top 5 one day batsman of all who mastered improvisation and brilliantly manipulated bowling attacks,particularly in run chases.He would build his innings stealthily till he launched his blitzkreig.Hid 1986 Sharjah knock is amongst the 3 best one day knopcks ever.He is also a strong contender for the best ever batsman in a crisis as well as for a place amongst the top dozen batsman of all time.To me Javed makes it into the all time one day 11.Denis Lillee rates him the 6th best batsman he has bowled to while Sir Richard Hadlee call Javed 'one of the most complete batsman of modern times,who adapted superbly in all conditions,against all types of bowling'..True,he had a far higher average in Pakistan,but remember he also excelled when the chips were down in Australia ,England and the West Indies.

2..Hanif Mohammad-Technically on par with Sunil Gavaskar and Len Hutton who literally looked like a programmed batting machine.Batting's equivalent of a marathon runner.Reminded you ofa surgeon performing an operation with clinical precision.At his best when scoring 337 in 970 mins v.West Indies in 1957-58 at Barbados.

3.Zaheer Abbas

Equivalent of a musical composer to batting who carried his bat like a wand.No batsman posessed Zaheer's artistic touch and he reminded you of a painter making curves on the board.A master of improvisation as he showed in one day Internationals.At his best when scoring 274 at Edgbaston in 1971 and 240 at the Oval in 1974.On slow wickets an Asian Bradman.Master of the extra -cover drive.One of the best one day International batsman of all with great ability to improvise.On slow,batting wickets the best batsman in the orld.Batted in Bradmanesque fashion in English first –class cricket and in successive home series versus India.
    Would Zaheer Abbas rank amongst the all time great batsmen like Jack Hobbs,Sunil Gavaskar,Sachin Tendulkar,Viv Richards and Brian Lara? In first class Cricket statistically he can compare with the best.Zaheer compiled 34843 run swith 108 centuries in first class games at an average of 51.54 (Better than Viv Richards )He is the only batsmen ever to score centuries in both innings of first class match 8 times and score a double hundred and a hundred in the same match on 4 occasions.He scored 100 Centuries in only 658 innings.Only Don Bradman,Dennis Compton,Len Hutton and Geoff Boycott scored them in fewer Innings.He was faster than Walter Hammond and Viv Richards!In test matches he scored 5062 run sat 44.79.However Zaheer in test matches scored half his centuries versus India and did not have a great average aganist fast bowling...One criticism of Zaheer is that he was not as effective in a crisis as Majid Khan,Javed Miandad. or Asif Iqbal and often failed against genuine quick bowling.(averaged 0nly 17 versus the WEst Indies).He also did not have a great overseas test record.Many critiques feel these factors went against him being classed with all time greats like Viv Richards or Sunil GavaskarTo me however only a great batsmen could score 274 and 240 against an English attack comprising John Snow,Derek Underwood ,Tony Greig Etc,even if the pitches were placid.On occasions he handled the likes of Lillee Etcsuperby,but was rattled by bouncers.Ultimately that is a moot point.Michael Holding,the fastest WEs Indian bolwer of all rates Zaheer 'a truly great batsmen.'For sheer grace and emotion only Vishwanath,David Gower and Rohan Kanhai have equalled him.Amongts Pakistani batsmen only Hanif Mohammad,Javed Miandad and Inzamam Ul Haq rate above him..However Ravi Shastri and Javed Miandad rate him as the best ever Pakisatni batsmen .Javed places Zaheer in his all time team at one down postion!To me ,in the late 1970's he was the closest rival to the trio of Viv Ricahrds,Greg Chappell and Sunil Gavaskar.His strike rate was remarkable.On slow wickets and against spin bowling he is the best batsmen I have ever seen. It is significant that Sir Garfield Sobers,the greatest cricketer ever rated Zaheer Abass as the 6th best batsman in the world in 1979 ,behind Viv and Barry Richards,the Chappell brothers and Sunil Gavaskar.

4.Inzamam Ul-Haq

Greatest match-winner ever for Pakistan and the most skilled pakistan batsman ever against pace bowling.Possesed a huge range of strokes and could bisect impregnable fields..Posessed the eye and reflexes of Viv Richards.Brilliant when scoring a match-winning 60 in the 1992 world cup semi final.A greater match-winner than Lara or Tendulkar .
    Inzy possessed more skill against sheer pace than Tendulkar or Lara.Inzamam was the greatest match-winning batsman of his era and eclipsed Tendulkar,Lara and at one time even Ricky Ponting in that respect.Morally he may well have been a better match-winner than all these 3 greats.His average in matches won is a phenomenal 78 runs.Above all his contribution was immense in those victories and his strokes displayed the typical flair of a match-winner.This trend started with his classic 60 in the 1992 world cup semi-final.Unlike Sehwag,Inzamam posessed razor sharp footwork.Often his batting reminded us of Sir Viv Richards.In full flow he carried his bat like a bludgeon and posessed extraordinary reflexes.In do or die situations he could save a sinking ship

5.Saed Anwar

At his best like Sachin and Lara with a blistering range of strokes all round the wicket.Few left handed batsman have been more intimidating .Brilliant in Calcutta in 1999 when scoring 173 out of 286 on a difficult wicket.Once held record one day International score of 194.He could create an impact on par with Sachin and Lara on his day.

6.Majid Khan

On his day reminded you of the likes of Viv and Barry Richards.A master of bad wickets as he showed when scoring 156 v Wourcester for Glamorgan at Swansea in 1969 like a surgeon performing an operation on a ptioent considered incurable.Majid superbly dealt with Lille,Andy Roberst and Bob Willis.Scored 167 at Georgetown in 1977 v.West Indies and 158 at Melbourne v Australia in 1972-73.At his best when scoring 112 of 88 balls in the 1st match of the 1974 prudential trophy in England.Best exponent of the hook shot after Viv Richards.

7.Mohammad Yousuf
    Statistically,the best Pakistan batsman of all who had the record aggregate for a calendar year in 2006.Posessed great temperament and phenomenal consistency.Benefoted from playing against weaker opposition which is why I have reated him at this position.

8.Salim Malik
    On his day a match-winner and a champion in a crisis.Posessed a wide repertore of strokes.Played an important role in Pakistan's series wins in England in 1987 and 1992,as well as the home series wins against Australia in 1994.(topped batting averages and aggregate runs in 1992 and 1994 series)Played a very important role in Pakistan’s reign as a world calls team,arguably at the top.His 99 at Leeds in 1987 played a decisive role in Pakistan’s maiden series win in England.Also dominated West Indies pace bowling in home series.In his peak amongst the top 3 batsmen in the world.

9.YounisKhan

Temperament in the Javed Miandad mould and in full flow would lauch a blistering attack.Brilliant in India in 2005 when he scored a record aggregate for a Pakistani batsmen in India.

10..Asif Iqbal

The best no 6 batsman after Sir Gary Sobers with a huge range of strokes.The best batsman with tailenders .His 146 not out at the Oval in 1967 is the best ever by a Pakistan batsman and rtaed by Learie Constantine as the best inning she had ever seen..Also played brilliantly in Australia in 1976-77 when scoring 152 not out at Brisbane and a match-winning 120 at Sydney as well as scoring 135 in the 5th test v West Indies in 1977.Very often a champion in a crisis.

11.Mushtaq Muhammad
    A courageous batsman against pace and a champion in a crisis. Played both West Indies and Australia superbly in his prime scoring centuries in West Indies and Australia.

12.Mudassar Nazar
    Although not the most talented,made a major contribution as an opening batsman to Pakistan cricket with his ability to stick it out.Scored a record 761 runs against India at home in 1982-83.

2. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Rate Hanif Mohammed at the top for he was a quality opener. Followed by Inzi because of his ability to succeed against all nation & their backyard. Then it can Maindad,Zaheer,Saeed, Yousuf,Younis,Wasim Raja,Asif Ibqal,Samil & rest to follow.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I'm surprised you could put together 12 names.

I mostly agree with your top 5 although I would place Younis higher than Yousuf if we're giving Test cricket the proper bias

4. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    1. Saeed Anwar 2. Amir Sohail 3. Inzi 4. Yosuf 5. Salman Butt
    see i can only name 5 world class batsmen from Pak yet i could name no of bowlers from Pak we pride ourselves as a bowling unit Younus Khan is there but he is not elegant he is a fighter

5. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I heard Saleem Malik was also an excellent batsman. Any truth?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  6. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011

Yes.

Shane warne once said he is the best batsman of spin bowling and the best he has ever faced. (something along those lines)

7. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Guy averaged worse than Farhat in tests

8. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    Same here, I heard along the lines he was as good as Inzimam Ul Haq or better.

9. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I always thought Yousuf's alleged lack of fight against top teams was overstated though he did bully Zimbabwe. He was our most consistent one-day batsman along with Inzamam-ul-Haq and for most of his career stepped in to salvage difficult starts. In Tests he struggled against SA, SL and to an extent Australia but did play some fine knocks under pressure against WI, NZ, England, and India though usually as a second fiddle to somebody like Inzamam-ul-Haq or Younus Khan.

10. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Imho Majid Khan and Saeed Anwar were both better openers than Hanif. Hanif was basically our only class batsman in the early days but he did struggle a lot against swing and repeatedly dropped into the middle order whenever we played in seaming conditions with somebody like Alimuddin or Imtiaz Ahmed stepping up to open. There's a relative contemporary of his, Saeed Ahmed, who rarely gets the credit he deserves, partly because his results waned in his last few years and partly because Pakistan as a team barely did anything in the 1960s, when Saeed was brilliant.

And Zaheer Abbas imho was very, very, very overrated. Class batsman no doubt and a mountainous scorer when set but a very nervous starter. Probably our best ever one-day batsman though, better even than Anwar, Yousuf and Inzamam and on par with Miandad.

I like Mudassar Nazar but I'd put him in the category of "fine player" rather than "great batsman"; alongside the likes of Ijaz Ahmed, Qasim Omar, Aamer Sohail, Wasim Raja, and Mohsin Khan. I'd have Saeed Ahmed as No 12 instead.

I'm very glad to see you include Mushtaq Mohammad and Asif Iqbal, both of them top-class allrounders and experts in a crisis.

Imho, it goes in this order:

1) Miandad, 2) Inzamam-ul-Haq, 3) Anwar, 4) Saleem Malik, 5) Younus Khan, 6) Majid Khan, 7) Hanif Mohammad, 8) Mohammad Yousuf, 9) Zaheer Abbas, 10) Asif Iqbal, 11) Mushtaq Mohammad, 12) Saeed Ahmed

11. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Between 1985 to 1996WC Salim Malik was the most prolific Pakistani Batman along with Javed in both format. He Was best batsman along with Desmond Haynes in 1989 Nehru Cup & contender for M-O-S which Imran won.

Salim was a second or 3 name in the eleven playing sheet. He was so good that even though he was having a horrible run in 1992WC, Imran never dropped him.

Until the fixing saga Salim was looked upon as the greatest player of spin. He scored around 500 run against Aussie's side boasting Warne & Tim may in it, that was the last serie Pakistan won against Aussie. Indian bowlers that is spinner was scare of Salim & Javed in the same way as Pakistan is worried about Kholi nowadays, but Salim's terror on Indian bowlers lasted for around a decade.

One of his best inning was placed in nagpur,India against England in semi-final Nerhu Cup. He score some 65 runs in 40 balls in a 30 over match, in those days that was a super fast knock.

His best shot was square drive from one knee.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  12. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  13. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    Wow, he was indeed a good player! Shame he went down in match fixing :(

14. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Voted for Hanif. While I'm not saying YK is better, I think he deserved to have been on the options, at the very least. Also, it's Saeed Anwar

15. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    still he averaged 38 in odis and u know what Saeed Anwar averaged in odis 39 so he did as well as Saeed Anwar in odis although averages in this era have been higher for batsmen cus of flat pitches but still. Best opener since Saeed Anwar and Amir Sohail for me is Salman Butt

16. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    I still wouldn't rate him anywhere near good enough to be in the top 12 for Pakistan.

17. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Butt mainly scored against India and Bangladesh. Also yasir Hameed has a one day average of 37-38 but both were ordinary Test players

18. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Salman Butt has been our best batsman against Australia too was 2nd highest scorer on his first tour to Aus scoring 108 and 70 against quality attack of Warne, McGrath, Gellespie , Lee. He was highest scorer on 2009 disaster tour of Aus where he scored 300 runs and again was highest scorer against Aus on Eng tour 2 tests series against Aus series which we drew with Aus first win for Pak against Aus in 15 yrs coming under Salmans captaincy his first test as captain too

19. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    By that standard Ijaz Ahmed and Aamer Sohail and Qasim Omar should be our best batsmen ever. Against every other team (except for the home series v England in 2005) Butt failed most of the time. Butt was OK, nothing special.

20. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Issue with Malik was his in-consistency. But he was really good in difficult conditions. Zaheer was like Yousuf, a run machine but not really a match-winner per say.
    Of the ones I have watched my top five is:

Miandad
    Inzi
    Anwar
    Younis
    Yousuf

That's from about late 80's to now. These to me are Pakistan greats then there is day-light and then everyone else in a big pile titled "Can also hold a bat, sometimes".

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    thats the problem we havent produced too many batsmen. on the other end, we have had world's best bowlers in every era!