12 year old Pakistan Christian girl arrested for blasphemy

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Mercenary, Aug 21, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    A poor Pakistan Christian girl of disputed age (family say 12, police say 16) has allegedly burned pages from the Quran. These allegations come from her enlightened Muslim neighbours who claim she burnt pages from the Quran whilst others say she found waste paper and was using it to make a fire for cooking food.

The girl and her family are very poor and their house was surrounded by a lovely well-meaning crowd of Muslim individuals who kindly offered to burn the young girl to death without a trial. Many of her Christian neighbours were of the paranoid variety and decided to flee their homes worried that this friendly gathering of Muslims might turn their attentions to them or their neighbourhood as well.

Below is a link to this heart warming tale...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...after-burning-pages-of-the-koran-8062984.html

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Reading this sort of stuff makes me ashamed to be a Muslim. Mobs gathering outside the homes of people who are part of a minority and dispensing vigilante justice without a trial. Other religions are leagues ahead of us when it comes to dealing with blasphemy or any humour directed at their faith.

Other religions dont condone such blasphemy nor do they encourage it but they dont kill for it and terrify whole neighbourhoods. They allow the proper authorities to deal with it through the necessary channels.

This is not to say that other religions havent had isolated incidents such as this but it's not a 'way of life' the way it has become in many Muslim countries.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  3. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    This is a tragic tragic incident. Pakistan is general a very intolerant society, religious intolerance, sectarian intolerance, political intolerance, even ethnic and provincial intolerance.

But i just like to add that these foreign news service never report that Pakistan have a complicated and unreliable judiciary system, pathetic law enforcement agencies. Something these foreign countries doesnt have.

4. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    In another Related incident a few weeks back, us Pakistanis impressed the world as a nation for their steadfast adherence to the Islamic faith come what may.

5. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I couldn't agree more. For so many days I have been thinking about creating a thread on oppression of women and minorities within Pakistan from a Pakistani perspective but decided against it. I don't think I am ready for the kind of responses I would have gotten...and I am sure I would have gotten least few of them.

6. Waq

Waq Emerging Player

May 9, 2010
    This is story is a great opportunity for positive PR. Imagine if the Muslim authorities of Pakistan showed kindness to this girl and tried to make her understand of her wrong doing despite her mental health or learning difficulties that have been reported.

This all comes back to Sunna and how we should not take a literal interpretation but understand the moral of the story. Many of us are quick to grow a beard or roll our shalwar up our legs but do not appreciate the message behind this. If we look at the moral / spiritual aspect then what would Prophet Mohammed have done in this scenario? We can't be exact but I am sure that most of us will veer towards forgiveness?

• List
  7. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Is qoom ka bohot bora anjaam ho ga.

8. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    So this is how jinnahs dream ends. A bunch of biggots with pitchforks demanding the lynching of a child? So far imran khan the taliban `sympathiser` has voiced his disgust.....any other mainstream politicians???

9. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    If the blasphemy law will not be removed - then surely it must be amended to exclude people with disabilities and children under a certain age.

You only commit 'blasphemy' if one has the intention to do so. If you have a disability then surely you are not in control of your actions nor your intentions. A young child does not pay a great deal of attention to their actions, and tend to commit actions that they do not intend to occur.

Its like accidentally breaking namaaz, its not a sin to do so if its not your intention to break namaaz.

Also what is blasphemous to one person, may not be blasphemous to another - who is to say someone is committing blasphemy ? Is there some committee in Pakistan judging who is blasphemous and who isn't ?

The Pakistani law surely must use common sense, before encouraging the vigilante mobs to start burning tyres and turning over cars.

Intolerance in Pakistan is a huge issue, its not only religious intolerance - that my religion is superior to yours, but intolerance as in my clan, my family, my caste, ethnicity, province is superior to yours and so on.

However common sense from the common man gives way to emotion and irrational thinking, due to indoctrination from Zia's days and due to the hardships of everyday life, this law is a means for the common man let out all that inbuilt anger, to lash out at the most vulnerable in society like minorities.

• List
  10. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
  11. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Jinnah's Pakistan. You say it as if he owned it or what. He was the front-runner in the independence movement agreed, but the very seeds of such approach were sown by him. But what else can be expected of a nation born unnaturally on the basis of religion. Religion talks in absolutes. Its follower does the same. Extremism is the logical product of this. When exaggeration is an expected rather encouraged behavior, what else can be the result. Where does a human life lie in the list of priorities of any organized Religion?

12. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    The fact that he wasnt the sole force in Pakistans independence movement is academic. He was the face of the movement and he is seen as the father of pakistan. Its like AQ khan's contribution to nuclear weapons program. He didnt single handed create the bomb, pakistan would have got there albeit in a longer drawn out way BUT he is the face of pakistans program.
    As for nations being born 'unnaturally' you lost me. What is the natural way of conceiving a nation? America was created out of war, modern day china was created out of civil war and so on.
    As for religion, im not going to get into a drawn out and convoluted conversation about islam etc, not my cup of tea.

13. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    And i am not going to debate on the issue of Jinnah and Pakistan. Suffice to say Pakistan is not Jinnah's Pakistan. It is going to be what its people wants it to be. A nation isn't carved out of a country, a country is carved out of nationhood. When you collect people on the basis of religion, then the tribal affiliations and religious teachings morph into a monster. The whole idea of Pakistan involved building a nation from of a country born on religious differences. Why do you expect that the people of Pakistan to move away from the original idea. We can always blame the Maulvis for all the ill-doings and misrepresentation of Islam, but the fact is, it is us the people who put those ideas into actions. You ask anyone on the street, no one would condone this action. Bar a few bigots nobody in their sane mind would condone such an act.

But then one must ask the question. From where does these bigots draws their strength from. If they aren't supported by the majority how do they manage to get away with such deeds without any repercussions. Fact is whether we like it or not, they draw their strength from the masses. Masses who are complicit with them. Making life hell for the minorities is one of our favorite past times.

Ever wondered why there aren't as many minority related incidents in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa as in other provinces. Here you don't hear about forced conversions or incineration of whole villages due to blashphemy. We have a sizeable minority population here, the Christian, the Sikhs and the Hindus and even Ahmadis. Neither is there so much honor related crime in KP compared to other provinces. Ever wondered the reason behind it.

14. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I dont quite know how i got dragged into this:D. All nations are created out of common beliefs and principles. Whether its a good idea or not is academic. Pakistan is certainly not the first state to be created out of shared ideologies, racial identity or whatever.

Your also merging a whole range of issues and saying that the pakistani masses are complicit in every single one of them. That IMHO is misguided and shortsighted.

All i wanted to say was that Jinnah s vision of pakistan, a secular pakistan tolerant of minorities is dead and buried. No i didnt say 'he owned it', like it or not he is the founding father of pakistan. Did he do it on his own? I never said he did or that he was the sole arbiter of what pakistan should be.
    Lol i dont even know how i got involved in all this convoluted diatribe.