15 most artistic left-handed cricketers of all time on merit-Who would like to see play most?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Aug 13, 2020.

Who was the most artistic left-handed cricketer ever?

1. Brian Lara

60.0%
  2. Wasim Akram

40.0%
  3. Gary Sobers

20.0%
  4. Saed Anwar

20.0%
  5. Sanath Jayasuriya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Chris Gayle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Clive Lloyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Alan Border

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Adam Gilchrist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Kumar Sangakaara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. David Gower

20.0%
  12. Alvin Kalicharan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Bishen Bedi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Matthew Hayden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Graeme Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Graeme Pollock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Emerging Player

May 5, 2011
    My list of the 15 most artistic left-handed cricketers of all in order of merit.Posted in commemoration of International left handers day.Rated in terms oof aesrthecism or artistry and not on overall merit. I would rank them in order I would like to watch them.

1.Gary Sobers-Allround cricketing skill to heights of divinity.Figures simply don't tell the story.Could turn a game 360 degrees.50 years ago took a allround cricketing performance to a scale unequalled when scoring 583 runs and capturing 21 scalps. In England in 1966 achieved heroics no one ever did when capturing 20 wickets and scoring 722 runs.Had as much a repertoire of strokes as any batsman ,more versatile than any bowler and could pull off the most incredible catches.He could bowl pace,fast-medium spin and chinaman.In my view as a cricketer was more impactful than even Bradman.

2.Wasim Akram-Took the art of fast bowling or wizardry to metaphysical depths traversing unexplored regions with his reverse swing.At his best a world-call allrounder or batsman too.Placed above Lara because of ODI performance and also because of his greater success as a skipper.No pace man ever was as penetrative or lethal on flat tracks.The ultimate magician .Played a major role in Pakistan winning the world cup in 1992 .

3.David Gower-I have never seen a more graceful batsman who literally caressed a cricket ball even when dispatching it to the ropes.Strokes were like the touches of a painter's brush.A master against genuine pace averaging over 43 in the Carribean and over 44 in Australia.

4.Brian Lara-The most gifted batsman I ever saw who took aesthecism or creating genius to a height unsurpased.Could single-handedly turn or win games more than anyone .Twice supassed world record score and scored most double centuries after Bradman.No batsman carried the mantle of weak batting side as much as Lara.Argubaly the 2nd best test batsman ever to Bradman.

5.Graeme Pollock-Arguably more talented than Sobers who could master any conditions and had he had a full test carer may have bee 2nd to only Bradman.Gave exceptional performances in testing English condition s and high class Australian bowling.2nd best average of 60.97 before Steve Smith arrived on the scene.

6.Bishen Bedi-epitome of artistry in spin bowling revealing the grace of a flute player or ballad dancer.I have never sen a spinner with such harmonic rhythms who took bowling perfection to regions of the sublime.266 scalps speaks for itself and his record aggregate of 31 wickets by an Indian in Australia in 1977-78.

7.Saed Anwar-Took batting histrionics at crescendo no left -handed opener did when blasting away.On his day could even join Lara.Played some of the finest tset and ODI innings in the most testing circumstances.His unbeaten 188 Kolkata in 1999 was one of cricket's gems.

8.Alvin Kalicharan-For sheer perfection technically on top of the tree who at his best could look like Bradman more than nay left-hander.Elegance and grace personified.

9.Adam Gilchrist-The best match-winner of his day and amongst the top 5 of all being more explosive than nay one in his age.Averaged over 60 in the first half of his test career and no batsmen before him had as impressive a strike rate.One of the architects in Australia emerging as world -beaters displaying an aura of invincibility.

10..Kumar Sangakkara-A model of consistency personified who statistically is the best left-handed batsman of all .A master in a crisis.Considerably less impressive overseas and rated below Gily as he could not so dramatically turn the course of a match.

11.Clive Lloyd-The father figure of West Indian cricket who resembled a great emperor galvanising his troops into an invincible army.No left-hander confronted the greatest pace duo of Lillee and Thomson so forthrightly like in 1975-76 in Australia.A model of consistency with the bat overshadowing the great Viv Richards from 1981-85 with the bat.Knitted a bunch of talented individuals to become arguably the best team ever in the history of test cricket.A great ODI batsman too whose 102 in the 1975 world cup finalranks as one of cricket's top dozen innings of all time.

12.Neil Harvey-In terms of talent in the Greame Pollock class and on bad wickets one of the best of all time.Flourished most when the situation demanded like when scoring an unbeaten 151 in a run chase of 336 in a run chase on a wearing wicket against South Africa.

2. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    My own personal favourites are Lara with the bat and Wasim with the ball.

3. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
  4. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Fawad Alam & Chanderpaul

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Asim Kamal too..

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    Some of these are power hitters and great timers of the ball but not necessarily the greatest of “artists”. Gayle Jaysuriya Hayden Gilchrist, even Saeed Anwar.

An artist would be someone who is always pleasing to the eye. Someone who would use the absolute minimum effort to display class with elegance

For example, Lara’s super high backlift in a totally bent down posture, even though, very effective, wasn’t always pleasing to the eye and hardly “artistic”.

Saeed Anwar was perhaps the best timer of the ball in the history of cricket among all batsmen (left handed right handed combined). He had a great artistic display as well. However, many at times he would play the ball away from his body without moving his feet and would be caught in slip gully region. It didn’t use to be a pleasing sight.

One of the worst in this list is Graeme Smith.
    Seriously, it reflects on the poor knowledge and third class calibre of the OP.

Graeme Smith in the list of most artistic left hander ever?? lollll
    OP, whatever you have been smoking, must be on sale.
    He would probably makes it in the top 3 ugliest looking left handed batting style ever - right up with Gautham Gambhir.

And where the eff is Ranatunga? lol, again it reflects on how novice you are in the cricket calibre.

From your list, Gower and perhaps Sanga were the “artists”. Ranatunga trumps both of them, IMO

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  7. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    trecothick was also actually quite pleasing to eyes.

Salman Butt wasnt bad either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Lara and Saeed Anwar.

9. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    To be honest, i think we are missing Yuvraj singh in the list! I dont know about the records but certainly the most pleasing to see left hand batsman of the last decade.

10. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    On the list this is extremely a difficult one. Left handers obviously have a certain charm to their batting. While i would pick Lara immediately but on second thoughts there is Wasim, Jayasuriya, Saeed anwar, Gilchrist and Sanga.