1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

1st Test: Sri Lanka v Pakistan at Galle, Jun 22-26, 2012 - Pre-Match Discussion

Discussion in 'Match Archive' started by Fawad, Jun 19, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    After a disappointing start to the tour for the visiting team, the Tests are just about to start. A chance for Pakistan to take revenge of the loss of ODIs.

Misbah has been banned from the first match due to over-rate issues. So, Hafeez is set to take his place temporarily.

Squad for Tests:

Misbah-ul-Haq (c)
    Abdur Rehman
    Adnan Akmal (wk)
    Afaq Raheem
    Aizaz Cheema
    Asad Shafiq
    Azhar Ali
    Faisal Iqbal
    Junaid Khan
    Mohammad Ayub
    Mohammad Hafeez
    Mohammad Sami
    Saeed Ajmal
    Taufeeq Umar
    Umar Gul
    Younis Khan

My Playing XI

Taufeeq Umar
    Faisal Iqbal
    Azhar Ali
    Younis Khan
    Asad Shafiq
    Mohammad Hafeez(c)
    Adnan Akmal(w)
    Abdur Rehman
    Aizaz Cheema
    Umar Gul
    Saeed Ajmal

2. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    Would love to see Afaq Raheem in action as he was our leading run scorer in the Quaid-E-Azam trophy. But I think Faisal Iqbal will get the nod. Spinners as always will be vital, If Cheema doesn't want too end up like Tanvir Ahmed he is going to have to play like never before as him not playing in any of the ODI's was extremely disappointing and a confusing decision on why he didn't play as he was the 2nd leading wicket taker for us alongside Saeed Ajmal in the Asia cup.

My XI:

Mohammed Hafeez [Captain]
    Taufeeq Umar
    Azhar Ali
    Younis Khan
    Faisal Iqbal
    Asad Shafiq
    Adnan Akmal [Wicketkeeper]
    Abdur Rehman
    Saeed Ajmal
    Umar Gul
    Aizaz Cheema

3. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    My Team:

Taufeeq
    Afaq
    Hafeez
    Azhar
    YK
    SHafiq
    Adnan
    Rehman
    Gul
    Ajmal
    Junaid

4. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    Iqbal as an opener? if he is gonna play than he should be in the middle order cause he is a better player of spin than pace. However ideally he shouldn't even play

5. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    Agreed, He's better than his average of 26 in tests but not something extremely great. Alright player on his day. He'll be determined and he averages 37 in Sri Lanka after 5 innings there so I guess its not terrible to say the least.

6. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    With Misbah gone I for-see another loss. He's an integral part of our test outfit and that's the game they decide to take him out of?

7. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Mohammed Hafeez [C]
    Taufeeq Umar
    Azhar Ali
    Younis Khan
    Asad Shafiq
    Faisal Iqbal
    Adnan Akmal [keeper]
    Abdur Rehman
    Saeed Ajmal
    Umar Gul
    Aizaz Cheema/Sami

Also we need to strength our batting against spinner in middle order. As Misbah is not playing it will come down to how Younis play.

8. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Finally some real cricket coming our way. :p

The tour so far has been nothing short of dissapointing and I'm looking forward to the tests to go our way. The Sri Lankan bowling attack is not the best but they've added Perera who will have a psychological advantage over our batsmen. Our test-team is settled and I would espect to go with the same team that played last, with obviously Iqbal to come in for Misbah.

9. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Pakistan have been impressive in Tests as of late but I'm worried about Mohammad Hafeez's abysmal form with the bat. He will most likely open the innings with Taufeeq Umar, who scored a brilliant 236 vs Sri Lanka in the UAE last autumn, giving a right-left combination.

Middle order will be Azhar at 3, YK at 4 and Shafiq at 5. Those 3 batsmen are nailed on. They are solid batsmen who put a price on their wicket. YK has to go in ODIs but still forms a crucial part of our Test team. I disagree with those who say his ODI form will translate into his Test form.

In the last 3 years vs the other top seven sides - YK averages 24.95 -http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround

I include the last 3 years as we have seen a real noticeable dip in form in ODIs for YK within that time period, more so than before.

However in Tests, last 3 years, vs the other top seven sides -http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround

Averages 42.95 - class player in the longer format of the game, but hasn't translated into limited overs.

Since Misbah is out, I think Ayub should come in at No 6. Don't want to see a tried and tested failure like Faisal Iqbal to return.

I'd go for Adnan Akmal over Sarfraz Ahmed whose keeping against spin is poor. I do rate Sarfraz as a better batsman than Adnan but since we will have 3 spinners we need someone who can keep with the spinners.

Mohammad Sami is a good bowler in short 4 over spells where he can bowl with pace at the stumps. In Tests however you need a consistent line and length over 20 odd overs and Sami has been too erratic in Tests. Not to mention the ODI shocker. Junaid Khan can reverse it with pace albeit not consistently. Aizaz Cheema would be a safe bet but I'd rather we start blooding in youngsters.

Mohammad Hafeez
    Taufeeq Umar
    Azhar Ali
    Younis Khan
    Asad Shafiq
    Mohammad Ayub
    Adnan Akmal +
    Abdur Rehman
    Umar Gul
    Saeed Ajmal
    Junaid Khan