A hero sentenced for 33 years in prison

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Major, May 24, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    PESHAWAR: A Pakistani surgeon recruited by the CIA to help find Osama bin Laden was on Wednesday sentenced to 33 years in prison for treason, officials said.
    Political administration of Khyber tribal region awarded the punishment to Dr Shakeel Afridi after founding him guilty of committing treason by helping a foreign country's intelligence agency in ascertaining the whereabouts of bin Laden. In addition to his jail sentence, he was fined 320,000 rupees.
    Meanwhile, the US State Department said that Pakistan had no basis to hold or charge a surgeon who was sentenced Wednesday to 33 years in prison for helping in the hunt for Osama bin Laden.

The court in Khyber convicted surgeon Shakeel Afridi of treason after he agreed to collect DNA for US intelligence to verify the presence of the most-wanted Al-Qaeda leader.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland recalled that both US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta had earlier raised concerns with Pakistan about the doctor's case.

"Our views on it haven't changed. We continue to see no basis for Dr. Afridi to be held," Nuland said. "We will continue to make those representations to the government of Pakistan."

When asked why she only referred to Afridi's charges and did not acknowledge his actual conviction and sentencing, Nuland said: "It's not clear that the legal process is over, OK? There may be other options for him legally."

Her muted remarks came as Washington and Islamabad, allies in the war on terror, struggle to repair ties that hit a low when US forces staged a secret raid into Pakistan that killed bin Laden in May last year.

They were strained to breaking point in November when US forces staged a botched raid that killed 24 Pakistani troops, prompting Islamabad to cut off the land route for supplies to NATO troops in neighboring Afghanistan.
    http://www.paktribune.com/news/Dr-Afridi-gets-33-years-for-helping-CIA-find-bin-Laden-250052.html

2. Younis-fan

Younis-fan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
    Hero my backside!

This traitor should be hanged. He worked for a foreign secret agency for money without knowing their target. He put lives at danger and started a fake vaccination program. He did it for money without knowing who the target was.

3. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    yeah your right. Afridi should had told the people who were themselves hiding Osama about his hideout.... how clever ay

4. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
  5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    I thought the punishment for treason is death sentence. He got a light sentence.

6. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    This odious little toad got just 33 years? I would have had him hung drawn and quartered. Hero my ass! Maybe next time he could bring the mossad or RAW in as well.
    If the USA intelligence services are so awesome why didnt they take him with? You know whats real hilarious? They protect terrorists like louis possada carrilles who blew up a cuban airliner yet they left a man who allegedly performed such a great service to rot in jail. Clever...ay:D
    They wiped their asses with the 'heroes' contribution, thats his worth.

This is exactly what happened.
    Bricktop (guy with glasses) = USA
    Gary = Osama Bin Laden.
    Liam = Afridi

7. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    hafiz saaed murderer of innocent people is being protected by pakistan and a man who gave up a killer is a traitor

got to love this place...

hafiz saaed will be free to brainwash more pashtun kids into murder and terrorism which is probably what the state wants...

8. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    i have a very angry response over this

you cannot harbour somebody like hafiz saeed and give away a Dr

it just doesnt make sense...ok fair enough it was treachery and that fake vaccination programme was pretty scum...but a murderer should also be put to the sword

9. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    He would have been a hero had he told Pakistani Intelligence where OBL was.

10. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    ^^ naive to say they didnt know

they were voted number 1 secret service were they not?

11. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    Yeah but why help out a intelligence which is all the way in West when you can help your country staying where you are?

He got what he deserved.

Hero my foot!

12. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Pashtun i get the feeling that your more irate because the guy who got sentenced last name is Afridi. This man is responsible for allowing a foreign military to infringe the territorial ( or what little we have left) integrity of pakistan for financial gain NOT for the greater good of humanity. If theres one thing i admire about pathans its loyalty and integrity this man is a disgrace to his people. I would have been a lot happier if we let the pathan decide his fate.

13. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

no not at all...i feel if he is being accused of all of this hafiz saaed the terrorist should be given away aswell...simple as that

one man is responsible for murder...whether in his control or not
    the other gave a known "terrorist" away if it is indeed true...

it doesnt make any sense...to me anywyas...i heard somewhere that he did it because he was annoyed that obl is directly responsible for the killing of thousands in afghanistan ( i could be wrong)...it was obl they were looking for apparantly hence invaded afghanistan...

14. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    lol the ISI are a bunch of unaccountable guns for hire. I will be a happy man the day a civillian reigns in both the ISI and the army.

15. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lol thats assuming OBL was actually there. Never underestimate the US's cunning. For all we know they could have just spoon fed the info to Afridi themselves in an elaborate false flag.

Since you know for certain that Saeed is a terrorist i suggest you give that infor the the CIA because it'll give you a nice $10mil. They have nothing on saeed thats why they asked for info that could pin terrorist actions on him.

16. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    hence the away if it is indeed true :p lol

but if true then hafiz saaed should be given away too

17. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    What is saeed guilty of? like i said, if your certain that, that idiot has done something other than make incendiary comments then let the USA know because they haven't got anything on him, thats why they offering $10 million.

18. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    isnt he incharge of brainwashing young children at madrassas

it is what i read somwhere in an article?

19. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    were the CIA targetting ordinary Pakistani folk? no, a terrorist.

granted he did not know that, but IMO he did the world a favor, and it is a sorry indictment of the duplicity or incompetence of OUR intelligence services that he had to do what he did.

bottom line is that a man who has the blood of countless people on his hands is no more...he is a hero, accidental/greedy or otherwise.

20. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Ok to all those who think he's a hero because he helped kill OBL. Go to miami and tell the police there that there is a terrorist that killed innocent people on a plane called Louis Possada. Or better still rid the world of him, then go the the CIA for your gratitude. No wait they'll put you in the chair for killing one of their guys.

LOl at ppl calling a guy who sold out for pecuniary gain a hero. Still its hilarious that they left him there to face the music. That right there is the value they placed on your 'heros' contribution.

21. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    not calling him a hero at all

i jus dont see the need to protect a guy who has supposed links with a terrorist organisation either

22. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Pashtun Is that why the US were offering $10 million just to get info on him?

23. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    is he not leader of laskhar e taiba?

Hafiz Mohammed Saeed, red-haired, 61 and India's most-wanted, now rubs shoulders with the likes of Taliban founder Mullah Omar and Al-Qaida chief Ayman al-Zawahiri as one of the five most-wanted terrorists in the world, featuring on an American rogue's list with a bounty of 10 million dollars on his head.

Saeed, the founder of the deadly Lashkar-e-Taiba, is believed to have crafted the 2008 attack on Mumbai that left 166 people dead. America confirms that it is 26/11 Mumbai that prompted the huge bounty on Saeed - six Americans were among those killed in the attack. Saeed was declared a global terrorist in 2008. The Jamaat-ud-Dawa, a so-called socio-religious charitable organisation that he heads, is banned; it is widely seen as a front for the terror outfit Lashkar. India, which has made constant demands that Pakistan, where Saeed lives a free man take action against him, has an Interpol Red Corner Notice out. The US Department of Treasury has designated him as a Specially Designated National under Executive Order 13224.

Hafiz Saeed was born on May 6, 1950 in Sargodha in the Punjab province of Pakistan. His ancestors belonged to Kashmir and his family lived in Shimla, India, before Partition. Hafiz Saeed holds two Masters degrees and has taught Engineering in Lahore. He is also said to have been a gold-medal student in Saudi Arabia; he is believed to have been a student of Sheikh bin Baz, who also taught Osama bin Laden.

Saeed is described by the US as a "former professor of Arabic and Engineering, as well as the founding member of Jamaat-ud-Dawa, a radical Deobandi Islamist organization dedicated to installing Islamist rule over parts of India and Pakistan, and its military branch, Lashkar-e-Taiba. Saeed is suspected of masterminding numerous terrorist attacks, including the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which resulted in the deaths of 166 people, including six American citizens."

But Pakistan says it still needs evidence before it can act against Saeed. In that country, Hafiz Saeed routinely addresses large anti-India rallies, making fiery, rabble-rousing speeches. Lately, cashing in on anti-America sentiments following a NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November last, Saeed has organised massive anti-US rallies across Pakistan.

Immediately after the US bounty on him became known, Saeed spoke to television channel Al Jazeera and said with much insouciance that he was not hiding in a cave. He also said that the US bounty was prompted by the fact that he had been "organising rallies against the opening of supply lines to NATO forces in Afghanistan".

Saeed has reason for his confidence, say analysts. It is unlikely to be as simple a matter as the man being hunted down and captured. Hafiz Saeed is believed to be a powerful figure in Pakistan and allegedly has close links with the army and the ISI. Ministers have been seen at public rallies that he has held in the Pakistan capital of Islamabad. The presence of top Pakistani politicians like PML-N chairman Raja Zafrul Haq and former Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi alongside Saeed at a meeting in Lahore on February 18, is an example of the immense political clout and patronage that he reportedly enjoys.

Saeed founded the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in the 1980s, along with his brother in law Abdul Rehman Makki, who too now carries a US bounty of 3 million dollars on his head. The Lashkar's stated intent was to pressure India on Kashmir. The terror outfit has grown since into one of the world's most lethal militant groups and is believed to be behind most recent terror attacks in India. The Lashkar leaves a deadly imprint on the assignments it executes - Saeed is said to mastermind them.

The Lashkar was designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation in December, 2001, by the US. But even as its funding and network came under global scrutiny, nothing seemed to trip Saeed up as he went about his anti-India business as usual in neighbouring Pakistan - he founded the Jamaat-ud-Dawa. He later also brought religious and militant groups under an umbrella group called the Defence Council of Pakistan of Difai-e-Pakistan.

The Mumbai attacks in 2008 turned India's focused attention on Saeed. The United Nations Security Council declared his Jamaat a terrorist organization in December 2008, a month after the 26/11 attacks. Facing intense international pressure, Pakistan was forced to ban the organisation. Saeed was placed under house arrest for several months after the Mumbai attacks but was eventually released after he challenged his detention in court. Islamabad has, since, resisted Indian demands to act against him, saying it doesn't have the necessary evidence. This despite India presenting dossier after dossier to Pakistan implicating Saeed and several other LeT leaders. Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik seemed to shrug as he pointed out that Saeed had ordered free by no less than his country's Supreme Court.

After his release, Saeed kept a low profile for a while but was back soon enough with his public anti-India rants. In April last year, he visited Islamabad for the first time since the Mumbai attacks, to lead funeral prayers for Kashmiri leader Maulvi Showkat Ahmed Shah. Since then, he has been operating openly from his base in Lahore, traveling widely and even appearing on TV talk shows.

In Pakistan, Saeed also leverages the public perception of a do-gooder - many in Pakistan cite the goodwill earned by the Jamaat-ud-Dawa for its massive contribution in relief work during the devastating earthquake in 2005 and the floods in 2010.

24. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I have little faith in pakistan's government, military and the ISI. From a personal point of view, putting aside the pride, i think the guy should be considered a hero. Pakistan's government and the ISI had always denied bin laden was in pakistan yet he was living under the noses of a military base for countless years.

Bin ladens used islam to encourage extremists to kill innocent people (muslim and non-muslims). I'd rather have the person who is damaging my religion killed rather than the guy who simply aided in the process to track bin laden down.

25. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Who damaged your religion? Osama or the guys who created him?

26. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    The person himslef.

27. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I tell you this my friend, America's morals are a matter of convenience:D

28. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    When the army itself was hiding bin laden, how could he tell them then?

29. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Pakistan government was not involved in hiding, and they were corporating with the US all the time, but it was the army...... Just like how the army used the governemnt to give the training to the Talibs during Benazir Tenure

30. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    He never tried that, did he ?

Had he appeared on TV and made it a news things would have been all over the world.

31. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    More likely a "Shaheed"

32. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Hero my foot. He is a disgrace to all the Pathans for giving info to a country for financial gains who are killing his own people day in day out through drone strikes. Whatever was Osama this greedy doctor had no business in giving info to an enemy country. A big LOL for people who are calling Hafiz Saeed a terrorist and seeing USA as an angel kudos to your logic and insight.

33. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    First up, he did collude with foreign espionage agencies, so he deserves what he got. You can't just allow people to be working with foreign agencies. Yes he did the world a great favor and if he didn't have the backing of the CIA, he couldn't have pulled this fake vaccination program, a program that has hurt the Polio vaccination program in Pakistan badly.

However this also begs a question, and that is how didn't our own intelligence agency who was more equipped to deal within its country find out a way to get to OBL. And what does this say about our Premier Spy agency. Perhaps if they were less focused on "whose wife goes to meet whom" and politicians, they could have found out about OBL (that is assuming ISI wasn't involved) and it would have been a feather in our cap regarding our commitment against Terrorism. Not so, and the funny thing is how they have managed to shift the focus from their incompetence to yet again "Grand Conspiracy"

34. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    ^^^

Our Government could have removed and blame the army/intelligence for two counts

1) Why din't the intellegence know that Bin Laden was in Pak?
    2) American helicopters coming in Pak airpsace, and attacking a building, without permission..... Amry had no idea....

Funny, how osama's house was just near the army base

35. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    THat would had been naive.... It would had taken the OFFICIALS to hide Osama in few minutes.... remember once Osama was reported to be some house in Islamabad.. Fled the place only 3-4 minutes...

36. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Come to think of it, our own heroes in ISI and Military Intelligence should have been doing what the CIA was up to. They should have been on OBL's trail and someone should have asked some question about that three-storey house a stone's throw away from the Kakul Academy. Doesn't it strike you odd, that in-order to rent out a house in Bilal Town you have to take clearance from the ISI, and yet there was that house sitting so oddly alone, and nobody even cared to ask about the residents. Funny thing this. The whole world suspects us of siding with the Taliban except the Talibaan themselves. And well it wasn't as if Afridi had sold our nuclear secrets. True they had to make an example of Afridi, and example they would make, but shouldn't our "heroes" made an example of too. Why does the coin always fall on the same side...

37. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe they are pissed that Afridi stole their crown jewel. This dude (OBL) could have changed the complexion on the war on terror and painted this picture of a proactive pakistan. I bet if the isi had anything to do with it OBL would have been found a lot closer to the border at a more convenient time.

38. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    All he could have changed was complexion of Pakistan, a haunted place bombed out of existence. Why the hell were they flirting with fire and in doing so, putting the whole existence of the country into danger. The best thing that they could have done for OBL was to quietly put a bullet in him, and dump him somewhere for good. They didn't and the Americans beat us to him. Still we aren't able to comprehend why the world hates us.

Between as per my own knowledge the US was indeed helped by Pakistan in getting to OBL. This is the unofficial version but true...

39. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Defend OBL? Now way:D It would have been a case of pakistan putting America's favorite ex ******* up for sale.

40. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    so people are saying that Afridi should had told this to the paksitani officials, who themselves were hiding him?