Aamir Sohail vs Wasim Akram

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shahzad.Firdous, May 8, 2020.

1. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Recent statement by Aamir Sohail that Pakistan would have won 96 99 and 2003 World Cups had Wasim Akram been sincere to Pakistan cricket!! How do u take it? I dont blame Wasim alone. I blame all of them. But, its a fact that Wasim and Waqar were more talented than Aamir Sohail, who was a hard worker. Wasim and Waqar when they played to their ability nobody could beat them but they had attitude problems whereas Sohail even won Pakistan a test match in South Africa as Captain without Wasim and Waqar, he was that much of a hard worker!!

2. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    Let's be honest, if our 90's team were clean from fixing, infighting etc and genuinely continued with the IK and Javed Miandad mindset, the sky would have been the limit.

But alas, what's done is done.

Although the likes of Aamer Sohail, Aaqib Javed and Rashid Latif do go seriously far in talking about the implications of the 90's team lol. Feels like they got a grudge they can't get over.

3. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    Amir Sohail is spot on. Don't know how can some treat this fixer Akram as a legend. He was one of the biggest fixer in the history of cricket.

4. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    His ATG status in cricket is undeniable bro.

Issue is, acknowledging his fixing status pretty much puts a '?' over the whole 90's team and even early 2000's. Also tbf to the PCB, considering the status of the 90's team in Pakistan and the names involved, no way could they have done anything. It just wasn't feasible unfortunately.

5. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    I don't consider him ATG or even G.

A fixer is a fixer at the end. For me Waqar & Akhtar were far better players than him. And to be honest if you break down his wickets I am sure there will be high percentage of tailender wickets in there. I witnessed his whole career.

6. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Fair enough.

Clearly the fixer element has a big bearing for you and that is fine, but you have to factor in the fact that there was never substantive evidence against Wasim and it is all conjecture now really. Bar maybe the Qayuum report, but it was not taken onboard so you can't really use it as a point of reference, personally.

Not sure about the tailender element but you can't deny Wasim his ATG status in cricket bro. There is a reason he makes a lot of World XI's and is very highly regarded in the cricket world.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Bhai Wasim Akram ki ability aur skills ko puri dunya maanti hai!! Wasim Akram sirf eik aaya greatest fast bowler ever to have played the game!! Waqar Younus is not even 50 per cent of what Wasim was and Shoaib was not even 60 per cent of what Wasim was!! Fixing is an entirely different matter altogether!!

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Wasim Akram ka 80 per cent koi skill level ka bowler aaya hai to woh Mohd Asif tha!!

9. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Tu tu bas kar yaar. You are a joker.

10. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Bit harsh to call someone a joker.

11. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    I am joking with him.

12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Wasim Akram is an ATG for sure. But your point regarding high percentage of his wickets consist of tailenders is an interesting one, I think especially in Test cricket. For me our best Test ever bowler is Imran Khan. While Wasim Akram is only our best ever ODI bowler (won a World Cup for us, which is not a joke). If only Wasim Akram had won a Test series in Australia, I would have rated him as the best ever bowler in history of the game.

13. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    My rating of Pakistani bowlers:

1. Wasim Akram
    2. Shoaib Akhtar / Mohd Asif /Saqlain Mushtaq
    3. Imran Khan
    4. Shahid Afridi / Waqar Younus
    5. Mushtaq Ahmed

14. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Certified (cricketing) GOAT

15. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Rofl afridi and Waqar grouped together.

16. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Shahid Afridi is very underrated as a bowler imo.