Afridi is the main hurdle in our progress!

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Top Spinner, Mar 25, 2013.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Top Spinner

Top Spinner Tracer Bullet

Feb 27, 2013
    Apart from Pakistan all teams are making progress and we are still in the ninetees,other teams are blooding youth like
    Kane Williamson
    Rutherford
    Hughes
    Virat Kohli
    pujara
    quinton de kock
    dav miller
    chandimal
    kurathne
    nasir hossain
    anamul haq
    joe root and so on....

Where are we going?I can swear slogger Afridi has no value,he is not playing for the team,he is fulfilling commercial purposes,he is finished,what are we expecting of him,he does not know basics of cricket as alot of his fanboys,he is germ in the team,he is elephant in the dressing room,we should get rid of this big fish as of younus,malik,kamran.
    What you guy think as the main hurdle to our progress,for me it is slogger Afridi???

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 8
    • List
  2. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Kamran Akmal and an idiot team management.

The board/management are too worried about their own positions to drop Afridi after his retirement helped unseat Ijaz Butt in 2011/12.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 9
    • List
  3. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    jonathon bairstow is another young star,i forgot

4. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    It doesn't have that much to do with age to be honest. Chaps like Hafeez/Gul/Afridi/Malik/Kamran/Farhat are still young enough to play the 2015 world cup. And they're not much older than the likes of Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Umer Amin, Fawad Alam, Sarfraz Ahmed, Adnan Akmal, Yasir Shah, Mohammad Irfan, Anwar Ali. Also a few slightly older players of the same age have been removed/benched like Mohammad Yousuf, Aizaz Cheema, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rehman, Tanvir Ahmed. Only bonafide "young" players I can think of being ignored are Nasir Jamshed, Umar Akmal, and Ahmed Shehzad. Probably Raza Hasan and Haris Sohail too, but injury stopped them

The problem is that only a few of the older players like Misbah are performing on a regular basis. We need to play Umar Akmal, Nasir Jamshed, Raza Hasan, Ahmed Shehzad etc more not only because they're younger (which is an added benefit) but because they've earned the right to play more than our current players like Kamran, Younus, Afridi, Gul, etc.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  5. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    i am not pressing on youth policy alone,but Afridi is playing from 1996 and still average 22,what is so Special about him?
    Younus average 31 for a decade
    so is Hafeez,malik and kamran,i think the current generation of players are more talented deserve more

6. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011

Yeah I agree, it's just not the age factor so much as the fact they're all extremely incompetent for awhile now

7. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    really? only afridi?

how about kamran akmal?
    how about misbah?
    how about yk?

why single one person out?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  8. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    The team in general lacks fighting spirit and are too scared of losing.

• List
  9. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    The biggest hurdle at the moment is Younis Khan.

Very rarely contributes with the bat, dying reflexes in the field, can't contribute with the ball.

He needs to be replaced with Umar Akmal asap.

Malik and Afridi also need to go, though out of the trio of YK, Malik & Afridi, Afridi's the one with the most to offer at this stage.

• List
  10. ~Akmal Mania~

~Akmal Mania~ Banned

Feb 16, 2013
  11. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    1. Younus Khan
    2. Shahid Afridi
    3. Kamran Akmal
    4. Shoaib Malik
    5. Misbah/Gul
    6. Gul/Misbah

These 6 are causing problems to us in ODI's

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 8
    • List
  12. Renaissance

Renaissance Formerly Goliath

Apr 29, 2012
    If you watch cricket you would know what is special about him. :D

13. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    They're all as bad as each other. You can't point a single person out. The biggest problem here is that no one is taking responsibility and they just hide behind each others poor performances. Sad thing is that everyone is too inconsistent. Put up a decend performance one day and struggle for the next 5 games. What this team needs is a big change up, bring in some youth and tell them straight that their performances will be monitored and if someone doesn't perform they'll get the boot

14. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    If we only had a strong captain with the backing of PCB.

Afridi, Younis, Malik, Misbah, Kamran would have never been able to play as many matches as they have.

15. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Apparently Afridi has made these comments to Dawn News;

Note: NOT CONFIRMED/RUMOUR

- Im better than many youngsters

- I will leave cricket myself if we have better players

- I will give my best performance in CT 2013

- I will not let the people of Pakistan down again

- I will announce retirment when I think the time is right

16. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    If true then you can see some players mentality....

17. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Legend speaking his mind.

18. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Is it true?

The "Legend" should talk with bat and ball instead of spouting out rubbish.

Better than youngsters? Yeah, how would we know when you and the other so called seniors are taking their spots.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  19. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    I don't know if it's true, there is no source right?

Youngsters who are all-rounders, Hammad didn't set the world alight when he was given the chance.

20. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Hopefully someone can clear this out. Thats why I put Unconfirmed/Rumour in my post.

Well, Neither has Afridi the last years.

Arrogance... Arrogance...

No matter what people says, but he will never be a truly legend of Pakistan cricket.

21. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Ok

Hammad is next in line, needs to work on his bowling, his bowling was very average when he given an opportunity.

Lol.. He is already a legend, no matter what you say.

22. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    Alot of people say this, but I don't understand how anyone can be dismissive of a guy in his 3rd last game made 36, then didn't bat again, got 1-26 off 5 overs in his second last game, then didn't bowl again.... was he supposed to literally set the field on fire to get noticed? Misbah didn't use him properly at all.

Unfortunately for Hammad he may not have done enough domestically to be brought back, but once he was here he should have had a proper run in the side.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  23. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    According to Misbah fans,

Misbah is a legend too.

And so does Malik fans say about Sir Malik too :shrug

24. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Unfortunately not everyone can be like Afridi.

Fastest century in first match and then make 1 good contribution every 30 innings for the rest of his career :shrug

You see,

He is on line with Miandad, Wasim, Waqar, Hanif, Zaheer.

He is a "legend" :shrug

25. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    you forgot Imran Farhat. #truthseer

26. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    lool.

truthseer is fortunately left all alone on that :lol

27. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    He was perhaps harshly dropped, fact remains his bowling needs working on.

I agree, but that's not how Pakistan cricket works, hence you see the likes of Farhat recalled again and again and again.

28. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    Afridi remains the most pathetic player ever,no doubt.

29. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    56 wickets in 36 games at an average of 20.. he's doing okay with his bowling, it seems his battings now fallen behind.

Imran Farhat will always be around, because hes a very good son-in-law :)

30. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011

Picked and dropped too early.

But we have to be fair seen that kind of imbecilic employment by other captains and for other players. Off the top of my head I can think of Shoaib Malik right now--never gets a bowl for some reason and bats down the order--and Abdul Razzaq who has been similarly employed (4 overs maximum and at Number 8) for the past few years

31. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    I still dont get the Malik thing... surely he needs to bowl occasionally? Razzaq was harshly dropped, imo I'd play him in Afridis position now, and he can also bowl afridis overs... will be far more consistent with bat too. I'm guessing though Razzaq hasnt played enough recently and isn't looking for a way back in?

32. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Farhat has actually been pretty good in his latest comeback. I don't mean the SA tour, but he got a 50 in a match against Lanka just before it, that too at a good rate. I won't pretend that Farhat is Lara but he's a lot better than Hafeez. I think Afaq should be given a chance, but Farhat isn't as bad as all that

33. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Farhat actually for a mediocre batsman has a lot of excellent/vital innings to his name as Mercenary once pointed out. But they are counterbalanced by the very frequent 10 (17), 6 (5), 13 (30)s etcs

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  34. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, a few memorable ones that most forget. The most memorable for me is in that that test against Australia, his 50 guided the chase. Considering how we imploded after he fell with just 45 needed, I'd say it was a match winning effort.

35. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Farhat is also a bad fielder.

36. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Another point I'd consider is that Hammad was a bit fortunate to have played (considering a mediocre FC record which is at least improving) considering chaps like Babar Azam, Zulfiqar Babar, Haris Sohail have yet to represent Pakistan. But he didn't look out of place either to his credit

37. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Agreed, afridi is the reason our batters have become cross eyed. To have strategy with him on board is to base it on hope. Also over time afridi has become our mindset where "aar ya paar" approach has been installed in our life and what you see is growth rate of 3 percent and population increase of 4 percent year over year.

• List
  38. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    But guys have been selected before on the back of how they look instead of their FC record... I don't want to harp back to Imran Khan but if you select a talented player because you have seen what he can do, then surely you persist with him atleast a little while longer than they did.

But a more worrying thing for me, is having seen an Ahmed Shezad interview, young players 'want to be like afridi' who is their 'role model'... he has ruined mindsets and created a false path, players like Imran Nazir have already ruined themselves following him now it will be guys like Shezad if they don't get the right message.

• List
  39. Namak_Halaal

Namak_Halaal Banned

May 12, 2012
    If it's about injecting youth then Afridi is not the only one hindering progress.

Misbah and YK spring to mind too.

• List
  40. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Yeah Awais Zia said the same thing regarding Afridi being fearless and the batsman he models himself off. Though Afridi`s technique is pretty good, it`s just his brainfades that come in the way