1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Ahmad Shahzad to consult psychologist to improve performance

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Nov 17, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    [​IMG]
    PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: Pakistan opener Ahmad Shahzad will be consulting a British psychologist Dr Taimoor to find help in regaining his form as an opener for the national team.

Shahzad surfaced as a promising batsman for the Pakistan cricket team, but hasn’t been able to perform consistently in the last few years.

He was recently called for the World XI series in Lahore and performed relatively well, but disappointed again in the series against Sri Lanka. He was replaced by left-handed batsman Imamul Haq during the ODI series.

Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur wasn’t able to fathom Shahzad’s dip in form and therefore suggested him to see a psychologist, to better understand the problem the opener was facing.

According to sources, Shahzad is going to consult the psychologist after the ongoing National T20 Cup ends.

It is a widely held opinion that Shahzad’s dip in form came after he was struck by a Corey Anderson bouncer three years ago during a Test match in Abu Dhabi. Shahzad had incurred a skull fracture after the incident.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1561240/7-ahmad-shahzad-consult-psychologist-improve-performance/

2. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Hopefully the psychologist will make him realize he's not good enough.

3. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Psychologists might be able to help players who play loose shots but what are they meant to do with someone who hits straight to the fielder!

4. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    First and foremost why would people need to know that he's seen a psychologist? Is it because some genius believes that it will help fans and cricket experts believe that he's working on this shortcomings and once done then deserve another change? Pathetic attempt.

And BTW: for how long he's going to work with this psychologist? You need months, years to have an impact of such sessions, which I seriously doubt will occur in this case.

Its less of an issue with psychology and more with his ability, which I believe is quite mediocre. No psychologist can teach him to find gaps, rotate strike and improve his batting, which are the root causes.

The best advise a Psychologist can give him, is to urge him to change career and since he loves taking selfies, think of himself some kind of model, then why not try modeling?

Rather than wasting time on this useless player, PCB, Inzi and Mickey should look beyond him, its not like we've only this clown left in whole country who could open for us. Farhan could be drafted in T20 and if it works then either have him or Amin a go in ODI and latter in Test as well.

5. Karachi-King

Karachi-King Talented

Jun 4, 2011
    Another shameless tactic

Why the need to publicise this anyway?

Hopefully the shrink makes his rozi halal and convinces Shehzad to retire and quit putting us all through torture

6. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    Making us all believe that this doofus is working on this shortcomings, working hard and deserve another free ride. But its a fail attempt in my book.

7. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I'm embarrassed at the responses in this thread.

We all know he's talented and has the ability. Ever since his injury, he hasn't been the same. Some players do have performance anxiety and it's very possible that he's absolutely killing it in the nets, hence keeps getting picked, and has trouble producing on the field. I think this is a great move and I really hope it works out for him.

8. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    That's one way of looking at it. Seems plausible.
    If this fails I have no idea what else he can ever do to help him

9. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    The whole generation of players needed this from like a decade ago.

A bit too late but still never say never!

10. Karachi-King

Karachi-King Talented

Jun 4, 2011
    The only thing you should be embarassed by is poor recall skills

Even before his injury he averaged 33 at a Strike Rate of 73-74. So its not like his stats now are much different from before

And heck, he scored a century in the 2nd or 3rd game back from that injury

He is limited and poor. An injury off a bouncer by a 75mph trundler on a dead UAE pitch has nothing to do with it. All that did was further expose him

11. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    I urge him to save his money on psychologist and rather look for other carrier opportunities like modeling etc. Not sure about his educational background otherwise would have advise more.