Ahmed Shehzad vows to perform for a place in WC squad

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Mar 13, 2019.

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    KARACHI: Pakistan’s out of favour opener Ahmed Shehzad on Tuesday said that he would try his level best to perform in whatever cricket follows to make a place in Pakistan’s team for the ICC One-day World Cup which will be held in England next summer. .ads_between_content{ height:auto; width:auto; float:right; margin:10px 0 10px 20px; } @media (max-width:600px){ .ads_between_content{ float:none; margin:0px auto; text-align: center; } }

“When I came to this tournament (PSL) my only aim was that whatever has happened in the past was not in my control and what I can control is that I should make a place through my performances. I know that this tournament was very important for me. In the remaining matches I will try to put in my best. I have not only the remaining matches of the PSL but from April 2 Pakistan Cup will start. I also eye on that and whatever cricket will follow,” Shehzad told reporters here on Tuesday.

“It is my desire to do such a thing for Pakistan in the World Cup which could remain in memories for ever. It is my motive to do something for my people through which I could create love in their hearts for me. I think World Cup is a big opportunity for any player. I am very hopeful and in coming matches I will try to keep the same process and the rest is in God’s hands,” said the 27-year old who has played 13 Tests and 81 One-day International.

However he was not happy with an early announcement of Pakistan team for the five-match One-day Series against Australia which will begin in the UAE from March 22.

About the playoff Quetta Gladiators will play against Peshawar Zalmi on Wednesday (today) at the National Stadium, Shehzad said: “Our games against Peshawar Zalmi have been crunch throughout. In front of a good crowd the match between the two teams will be extremely good. And the team which will execute skills and nerves and will make less mistakes will win in the end,” Shehzad said.

Shehzad said that the real criteria for selection in Pakistan team should be based on four-day and one-day cricket.

“I have just come out of suspension. In the event I could not play the first half but in the second half my form is good. I believe that PSL is a big platform for everybody. But I still think that this should not be criteria for selection in Pakistan team. If you want big players who could play big cricket and contribute to our test team consistently so I think focus should be made on the four-day and one-day cricket”. “Those players should be picked who perform consistently in those formats. There should be no short-cut. If you get a fast bowler or you get an exceptional spinner then it is a different story. But apart from that those players should be selected who have played 60 to 70 matches as such stuff can easily handle the pressure of international cricket,” he said.

Shehzad said that he had been trying to be positive. Shehzad had to miss first-class cricket last year due to suspension as a result of doping violation during a domestic event. His four-month ban was then extended for further six weeks after he was found guilty of breaching the ruling on his four-month suspension.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/443340-shehzad-vows-to-perform-for-a-place-in-wc-squad

2. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    Would have been better had he vowed to play at a higher sr consistently

3. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Do not see it. Fakhar & Imam is the settledopenimg combination, and if Shan performs in the AUS series, that’ll completely shut the door on him.

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    I'm surprised he still wants to represent Pakistan after all the hate the guy gets. Ahmed if you ask me I think they're jeloused of your good looks.

5. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    I think he needs to be preferred over Shan. And I might have him opening with Fakhar Zaman in the playing 11 as I dont see Imam capable of delivering a matchwinning innings against India specially. Imam can play a match losing 80+ against India but he wont win you the game! Shahzad with his attacking game when he gets it right can win it for you! I think Ahmed Shahzad and Fakhar Zaman opening combination will work much better than Imam Fakhar although Imam is a consistent run getter. There is nothing wrong with Imam but just that style of play - Ahmed is more likely to succeed and with the right hand left hand combination at the top does well to unsettle the opponents. You can compare Champions Trophy with Asia Cup. In CT, you had Azhar and Fakhar opening whereas in Asia Cup, Imam replaced Azhar so its time we got back to right hand left hand combo at the top and keep Imam a part of the squad.

6. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    World Cup 11 for me:

1. Ahmed Shahzad
    2. Fakhar Zaman
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Hafeez
    5. Malik
    6. Imad
    7. Sarfraz
    8. Shadab
    9. Amir
    10. Abbas
    11. Shaheen

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 2
    • List
  7. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Rest of the party:

Umar Siddiq, Hasnain, Fahim, Harris Sohail.

• Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    why did you drop Imam ?

he was the most successful batsman for Pakistan in SA OD series. are you mentally stable ?

• Abusive Abusive x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    yes very much stable physically and mentally, kabhi kabhi doure par jate hein alag baat hai but the way Ahmed Shahzad played the other night he is batting so well right now he should be in the 11 and there is room for only 15 players in a squad. Umar Siddiq covers the vacancy for reserve opener as well as the reserve keeper, filled two spots with one. I think free flowing Ahmed and Fakhar, right hand and left hand combo will compliment each other perfectly!! Imam is potentially a great cricketer like his uncle but at the moment in odi team i dont think he warrants a place despite scoring so many runs! How you get those runs and how they effect your team and opposition as well also has value but most importantly, the requirement of the team is important! Imam is making things look complicated at the moment whereas they are not! A right hander would solve the opening issue and Ahmed is in prime form at the moment!!

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    i dont think that post deserved this kind of reaction! No post does in any case~! This is getting way over the line!!

11. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Shan: One of the highest LA average

Highest run scorer in List A in 2018

Shehzad: Banned for doping in 2018

12. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Reason for dropping Imam is that he is making the things stop and not allowing them to flow! He is a bit of a clutch kind of batsman! I really like him but just think that Ahmed Shahzad and Fakhar partnership will be more free flowing! You need things to flow and not to come to a complete halt which is what happened against India in Asia Cup!! Ahmed Shahzad, Fakhar Zaman and Babar Azam are all free flowing batsmen at the top and would make things flow freely! There is unnecessary blocking going on at the moment!! Imam can not break out in this kind of situation! He tried to but failed against India!! Ahmed and Fakhar can break through!!

13. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I know but right now Shahzad is the most inform batsman of this PSL~ He played one hell of an innings against Karachi the other night!!

14. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    You could have Fahim replacing Imad and Sarfraz batting 6 Shadab 7 and Fahim 8 if you like!

15. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    I'm asking you a simple question. I'm not attacking you or cussing you.

learn english

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    No chance. I hope Umar Akmal is not considered as well for the WC. Both are ordinary at International level. We have already seen it in the previous WC.

17. Energy

Energy Whispering Death

Apr 22, 2012
    Shehzad would have had half a chance if we didn't find Imam. That's how he lived his glory days because no opener showed up. Top 3 for Pak are locked. And if we were to take a backup opener then you have guys like Shan waiting.

18. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    In the worst case scenario, I'd have even preferred Azhar Ali over this guy had he not retired so soon

19. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Bhai English to angrezon ko mein ne sikhayi hai lol!!

20. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    No....No...........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

21. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
  22. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    He was so promising when he started out, he's shown some glimpses of that during this PSL but he has to play like this for a season or two before he gets that chance again.