Aizaz Cheema looks legit.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Big Daddy, Mar 2, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    He is skiddy, can swing the ball, both new and old but sonay pay sohaga the slower ball, reminiscent of what Akhtar used to ball in the England series of 2005. Should definitely be in line for a call up to the senior squad.

2. Big Daddy

Dec 21, 2009
    He is also the highest wicket taker after 2 matches with 8 wickets, 4 each in either matches. Economy is also legit. Houston we have a lock.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Aizaz Cheema - Looks like a good prospect

I've seen Aizaz during the RBS Cup and he looks to be bowling at a pace of around (or over) 140kph. There was a BBC audio report once where they mentioned that he was bowling at 92mph.

This isn't the first time I've heard Aizaz's name , I've known about Aizaz since January 2008 when I did an interview with Umar Akmal where Umar called him the fastest bowler at domestic level. Here's the quote from that interview...

...then a year later I asked Aqib Javed about Aizaz in another interview and here's what Aqib had to say...

...unfortunately it looks like his height is being used against him. Most coaches stress the importance of height in fast bowlers. But I think Aizaz is a good enough bowler to be given a chance, if he can clock over 145k then I dont think height should be that much of a factor.

4. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Thats funny! He's a VERY short guy? Is Aqib a basketball coach now? How tall is Sami, Arafat, and surprise surprise.....Aqib Javed himself?

5. Big Daddy

Dec 21, 2009
    If height was the be all end all then Marshall would not be the pedigree of the legendary Windian pace quartet. Aqib is an idiot.

6. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Marshall was one off we expected great things from Sami too and started him Malcolm Sami but I guess Marshall was just a one off thing.

7. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    How tall was Aqib himself? Dont you see the irony in Aqib's comments? Merc should've asked him that.

8. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Of what I saw of him in the first game that Lahore played, it was quite impressive with both his pace and variation in particular aswell. The slower balls and decent pace as it seemed like he was in the range of 142-145k's!

9. omi75

omi75 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 3, 2010
    wel done Aizaz cheema keep it up 4/18 and man of the match v/s peshwer

10. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    As long as he doesn't turn out to be in the Rauf-trundler mode, he should be gives chances, atleast in the shorter format of the international game.

11. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    +1

His height is against him though, he's quite short, thats the only reason I think he hasnt been picked, especially when we've been in need of a good faster bowler.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I dont think Aqib is short, in fact he must be around or over 6 foot.

I think it's a bit unfair to target Aqib. Every coach/cricketer I've spoken to stresses a lot about height and how important it is to fast bowlers. In fact you dont get many fast bowlers under 6 foot and you get hardly any that are effective at international level.

Marshall was one man, if we can name a dozen effective short fast bowlers then there is a point to be made. Naming one guy who was one of the best bowlers of all time doesn't mean anything.

13. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    2/17 in 3 overs so far. He's the highest wicket taker in the tournament.

I watched his slower ball and Big Daddy has a point. Its like an indipper, like the one Shoaib Akthar used to bowl. Although Akhtar's was even more efficient, since he was so fast, and his slower one looked like a beemer first, only to land at your feet. A top-spinner for sure. But Cheema definitely needs looking for the T20 world cup.

14. omi75

omi75 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 3, 2010
    weldone

Congrats Aizaz for win 24/2 in 4 overs.keep it up boy.

15. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    He could definitely be a dark horse for the T20 WC squad. Very handy bowler.

16. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    who would you drop Mohammed Aamer, Umar Gul or Mohammed Asif to get Ajeez Cheema in the squad?

17. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Asif's not in our first choice XI anyway! Aamer, Gul, Razzaq, Afridi and Ajmal make our preferred attack. Malik is also in the team. On top of that, Rana and now Arafat give more competition to Asif.

If Gul sits out, Rana and Arafat are next in line, but Cheema wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Speaking of which, Shoaib Akhtar should be considered for t20. He's still the fastest.

18. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @wasim

please tell me you're kidding about Akhtar.