Akram ready to serve Pakistan cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Former Pakistan left-arm pacer Wasim Akram is willing to contribute towards the revival of Pakistan cricket after the Men in Green’s exit from the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup.

Every World Cup failure for Pakistan sparks a wave of reviews and sackings and the promise of a fresh approach, until the team wins again and all is forgotten.

The script is expected to be similar after Sarfaraz Ahmed's team failed to make the semi-finals in England and Wales despite a late charge.

Pakistan won four straight matches to finish level on 11 points with New Zealand, but they bowed out of the tournament due to an inferior net run-rate.

There have once again been calls for an overhaul of the system, but 1992 World Cup winner Wasim Akram said there was no need to panic.

"Pakistan woke up late in the World Cup and when they gained momentum they won four straight games," the former captain told AFP.

"It is not a bad finish and I don't think we need to panic.

"There is no quick fix and the people running cricket need time and must keep the example of how England lifted their one-day cricket. I am ready to contribute towards that."

England's humiliating first-round exit in 2015 sparked a radical rethink and the host nation started this World Cup as the number one side in the world.

Another World Cup winner, Ramiz Raja, believes Pakistan have the ability to produce "magical" cricket and says their exit is a loss to the tournament.

But he said every defeat was an opportunity to assess things and that ruthless decisions were required.

"I think every defeat gives an opportunity for introspection, so Pakistan need to do four or five things if they want to be a force in world cricket," he said.

"Pakistan have to correct their system, which can provide them with regular talent and then define and refine that talent.

"Look at Australia, they were losing against every team a year ago but since their system is strong they stood up. We need to take ruthless decisions in a review."

Pakistan has hosted little international cricket since Sri Lanka's team bus was attacked in 2009 in Lahore.

The situation has forced Pakistan to play at neutral venues in the United Arab Emirates, meaning the game is not so visible to the younger generation who need to be inspired to play the game.

The nation's cricket board is striving to bring back international cricket to Pakistan in the hope that will provide a further catalyst for a revival in the team's fortunes.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/akram-ready-to-serve-pakistan-cricket

2. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    No your negative comments about everything Pakistani from press box is contribution enough. Keep at it pal.
    Did absolutely zilch to help the lads lift themselves when they still had the chance after the Aussie and Indian games. He loves playing to the negative tune

3. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Im sure we have heard ‘ready to serve’ comments after every WC.

4. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    ready to serve? is he ready to ask for a massive salary despite not having any coaching credentials, and, judging by his commentary stints, no insight into the game or intelligence as well?

if he can show us his qualifications, maybe we can assess him, but its been proven time and time and time again that a good player does not necessarily make a good coach, or a good administrator. especially, presumably, one who should have been convicted by the Qayyum report had the judge had any integrity whatsoever.

5. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    The ONLY role he can effectively play that will help Pakistan is to become a powerful adivisor/manager/Think Tank, with the visiting team.

He is well experienced in reading the pitches, weather conditions, and he is an old fox to help develop the game plan, both before and during the game.

He is also tough and means business - so the boys will listen to him. I don’t think we would be making dumb decisions like winning the toss and putting in India to bat first, under his watch.

He has ”LEARNED” all these lessons with years of experience of playing all over the globe.

He never was, never is, and never will be a great coach. Why because? He never ”LEARNED” how to swing the ball? - it came all natural to him.
    He does not know exactly what makes the ball swing?

Go ahead, watch his coaching videos on YouTube- there are tons of them - he will tell you to keep the shine on one side and it will swing. Thousands of bowlers have tried his coaching tips but NO ONE can swing like him.

And for the number of years he has coached in India, by now India would have produced 50 Wasims.

Again, I will absolutely welcome Wasim as an advisor and Think Tank with the visiting team but not as a coach.

6. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Agreed. The black cloud hanging over his head has never gone away. I wouldn't trust him to be anywhere near the team. I don't doubt he would do ok as a coach but for a team that can't afford another scandal I wouldn't want him within a million miles.

7. MecnunK

MecnunK Youngsta Beauty

Oct 21, 2015
    Shouldnt be allowed near the team..

8. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    2 questions

1. according to the justice qayyum report you are banned from taking up any positions in the PCB - how will you surpass that?

2. aren't you 'serving' already since you are part of the advisor committee alongside Misbah?

9. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    Am I the only one who feels this dude is overhyped individual who comes across as someone who loves to seek attention? Every time he talks about fast bowling he tends to repeat himself with no extra ordinary telling. His views on cricket are just like any fans. He tends to say things that are obvious. Hell I get more info from Ramiz than him. He should stick to commentary instead of serving a nation that he ignored for other opportunities. He is living off his fame nothing more.

10. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    That's funny since he has also been absurdly negative about players doing well. He first criticized Amir when he was the pick of the bowlers and then criticized Shaheen when he made a come back with wickets. After his comments, I can see why our ODI team was in shambles by the time he retired.

11. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    BTW, I was talking about Misbah.

12. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    He's already a part of cricket comitee.

All members are not doing their job apart from Urooj Mumtaz. Maybe we should hire some more former women cricketers and ask them to run this comitee. Akram, Mohsin and Misbah what exactly have they done so far? They are seriously annoying now. They are giving opinions on TV. They literally named you a part of the comitee.
    Give all your opinions/views/ideas on cricket in that and if you don't know when the meeting is ring up Mani and ask him or email him. He'll tell you or you can arrange for a comitee meeting. Jesus it's not rocket science.

13. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    He should be the bowling coach, nothing more and less.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

14. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Don’t understand the hate for wasim here?

@godzilla - Coaching qualifications?? Yea, the one with all the coaching qualifications is Aqib, and all he’s done is change actions and produced nothing.

As for teaching swing, that’s not necessarily a national team coach or national bowling coach’s job. Yes it might be a by product, but the job is for strategy, bowling what at what time. And if he’s a useless teacher, then how did zaheer khan go from being a mediocre piece of rubbish to a world class bowler.

What do we want? A Mickey Arthur again? What revolution has he brought. This World Cup was the most tactically inept World Cup performance by pak I’ve ever seen. The way the players performed in the last 4 matches shows that the players do have ability, but the tactics, strategy and team combination took many matches to get right.

And there were some serious schoolboy errors. Yes we can throw Sarfraz under the bus for that because he’s an easy target, but Mickey has to take a lot of blame too.

And as for Azhar - a complete passenger.

15. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    No!
    Already explained above.

16. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    He has a tainted past and should not be any where near the team.

17. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    what qualifications has aqib got? so your argument is that even if he has beyond level 2 pcb (= worthless, and as far as I know, all he has) and is crap, that means all qualified coaches are crap? nice one. so lets get anyone at all in then, right?

and no, I can only speak for myself, but I was never a fan of Mickey's coaching stint from the day he was hired. it was Sethi who got him in, on the recommendations of the old pcb dinosaurs like intisaurus rex - the only objective being self preservation and fat salaries, not success - as now seen in four years of results.

I think most observers would use a tiny bit of intelligence and conclude that the idea is to get a coach in who is qualified to coach, and is familiar with the modern game, but that those qualifications are necessary, not sufficient = not everyone with qualifications is appropriate, but everyone without qualifications is not.

but between the two of us, ill admit, you have far more chance of being elated and happy at the next appointment, given how stupid and unintelligent the appointments have been to date. with any luck, you'll get Akram and maybe even the serial drunkard, motor mouth backstabber MHK - and you then you can let off some party poppers and crack open the tizer.

18. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    Don’t mean to intrude. But I believe he had a County stint that made him a changed bowler. It had nothing to do with Wasim Akram teachings. Even if this is true you gotta point out more cricketers who benefited from Wasim’s teachings.

19. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    It doesn't look like he is a bad teacher.

20. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    After every WC he says the same thing.Not sure how well he will do, but he will surely do better than Azhar Mahmood.

21. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    I'm ready to serve Pakistan cricket.

22. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Ok, so who are you a fan of? Who would you like to be coach?

I’m not advocating Wasim, or MHK, but i do not get the hate.

23. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Nothing to do with it? Really? I am pretty sure I’m not losing my memory but hasn’t zaheer himself credited wasim?

So theek hai stick to Azhar mahmood. I’m sure no one else in the world will tell you to bowl “right areas”

24. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Your analysis is good. Fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

25. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    He may have but as far as my memory is concerned Zaheer came from a County stint than looked like a completely changed bowler.

26. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Didn't Shaheen attribute his turnaround to Wasim?

27. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    True ! County cricket did wonders to zak

28. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    No, no, no it was Azhar mahmood who told to bowl right areas. Simples

29. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    If an international level pace bowler who is already playing in the national team is unaware of what "the right areas are", and needs to be told to bowl "in the right areas" - then laanut on him.

30. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    You didn’t notice the sarcasm!

31. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016