1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Alan Donald most unfair in excluding any Asian cricketer in all-time XI?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Jun 21, 2020.

Who did Alan Donald most unfairly exclude in all-time XI?

1. Wasim Akram

50.0%
  2. Wqar Younus

12.5%
  3. Sachin Tendulkar

25.0%
  4. Imran Khan

37.5%
  5. Ian Botham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Richard Hadlee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Greg Chappell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kumar Sangakkara

12.5%
  9. Adam Gilchrist

25.0%
  10. Sunil Gavaskar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011

Quoting Sai in CRICTRACKER "Former South African cricketer Allan Donald has recently revealed his all-time best XI with two South African players – Jacques Kallis and AB de Villiers. The pace legend unveiled his XI on the Lord’s YouTube channel. The criteria to select the XI is that the player should have played with or against them or have been strongly influenced by the players picked in the XI.

Donald, who is currently the assistant coach of Kent County Cricket Club, picked two Australians as openers in Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer. At the toughest No.3 position comes one of the greatest all-rounders Jacques Kallis. Donald termed Kallis as ‘probably the greatest cricketer of all time’. He picked two Carribean cricketers for No. 4 and No. 5 slots – Brian Lara and Sir Viv Richards.He excluded likes of Sachin Tendulkar,Wasim Akram ,Sangakkara etc.He went on to pick AB de Villiers and Adam Gilchrist for the 6th and 7th batting slots. While picking AB de Villiers, the former pace legend referred him as “one of the all-time bests and is an explosive batsman.” Donald picked Shane Warner, Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose and Glenn McGrath as the bowling options"

No Asians in the XI
    'Donald, who was famously known as “White Lightning” during his cricketing career, faced the wrath of his fans on YouTube for not picking Indian and Pakistan cricketers like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Imran Khan, Wasim Akram. In fact, the pacer did not pick any of the Asian legends in his XI. The last time a top cricketer missed Indian and Pakistan cricketers in his all-time XI was Alastair Cook"

My analysis

He excluded likes of Sachin Tendulkar,Wasim Akram ,Sangakkara etc..I feel it was gross injustice to exclude Sachin Tendulkar and Wasim Akram.It is strange as Donald regard Wasim as the most complete fast bowler he ever saw on youtube and most skilled and overall Tendulkar the best batsmen he ever bowled to.Wasim should have been there instead of Ambrose and Sachin arguably instead of Langer or Viv Richards .I feel Tendulkar in test cricket by a whisker surpased Viv with his longevity and consistency in al conditions.Wasim was more versatile than Ambrose.Tendulkar played in era of Donald so unfair to pick Viv instead.Lara ofcouse was the best test match batsmen of the era .Devilliers was not as great a batsmen as Sangakkara in test matches or turned as many tests as Adam Gilchrist.Also Viv never played in or against South Africa as Tendulkar.I can accept selection of Kallis with staggering record but would have preferred a Botham or an Imran instead.

Surprising some years ago Donald had selected Botham,Hadlee and Greg Chappell in his all-time XI.Viwers should Watch Donald;s view son Tendulkar and Wasim and how this selection contradicts that.If he chose Viv from yesterday than why not Gavaskar or even Botham .

Allan Donald’s all-time XI:
    Matthew Hayden (Australia), Justin Langer (Australia), Jacques Kallis (South Africa), Brian Lara (West Indies), Sir Viv Richards (West Indies – captain), AB de Villiers (South Africa), Adam Gilchrist (Australia – wicketkeeper), Shane Warne (Australia), Malcolm Marshall (West Indies), Curtly Ambrose (West Indies), Glenn McGrath (Australia)

2. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
  3. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    Looks like a proper racist to be honest.

ABD & Langer were good players but come on there are so many better choices than both of these.

4. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Imran Khan, Sachin Tendulkar and Wasim Akram.

5. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    its his XI, I don't get why people crying and calling him racist.

He also excluded Gilchrist, Botham, Hadlee and Greg Chappel

That leaves the racist card out of the window.

6. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    Pretty much this.

He is free to choose who he wants for his XI, although some selections are strange and some omissions, you can't say it is racist.

7. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    agree great choices

8. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    What about Tendulkar and Wasim?unfairly excluded?Any others also?

9. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    V
    very valid point.well put.

10. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Still was it a fair selection eliminating Sachin and Wasim?

11. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    I wouldn't pick Sachin in my XI lmao he never delivers when it really matters

Wasim Akram I can drop for Waqar Younis any day

12. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    One more: Saeed Anwar as opener

13. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    I agree. Even Langer was not a world beater.

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    If you had a team of 11 all batsmen in the likes of, Sehwag Kohli Viv Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Sangakkara, Gavaskar, Dravid, Ponting, Kallis, and AB, and if you put them against the pair of Wasim and Waqar when they were at their peak, the two W’s would dominate.

This is how good were they. If I were to put my world XI, I would start the list with these two names.

15. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Definitely Imran, Wasim for Ambrose (not because he is better, but because of the variety). Tendulkar could easily replace both openers or take the 3rd spot. If it is tests then probably Gavaskar if not tendulkar.

16. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    not a good criteria to conclude that.

17. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
  18. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Not a bad XI. I don't think you can call it unfair. Wasim Akram is slightly overrated (by Pakistanis and Indians) when it comes to Test cricket, Imran Khan was better than him in Test cricket as a bowler. I would have opted for Imran Khan over Curtly Ambrose, which would have strengthened the lower order batting.

19. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I dont think they are overrated/ I think Sachin and Kohli are overrated and Wasim Akram and Mohd Asif would expose them any day of the week//

20. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I think either Imran Khan or Wasim Akram make it to the side in place of McGrath. They both bat better than him. If you can have an ATG bowler who can also add runs then why not pick him?

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Wasim and Imran in place of Marshall and Ambrose.

22. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    The first two picks in any World XI. MUST be Imran Khan and Gary Sobers.

The best bowling all rounder and then the best batting all rounder.

You have 4 players for the price of 2.

The bowling all rounder being more valuable because they are rarer and represents 25% of your bowling resource. (a batting allrounder is just 15% of your batting resources)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

23. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    Next you have a spinner.

Warne Vs Murali.

Take your pick. I would take Warne.

24. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    Then you have Gilchrist as your batting keeper. (and he needs to be able to accelerate)

Andy Flower coming a close second.

Bradman a non- negotiable at 3.

3. DON BRADMAN
    6. GARY SOBERS
    7. ADAM GILCHRIST
    8. IMRAN KHAN
    9. SHANE WARNE

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  25. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    After this you can have preferences for the remaining slots because there are plenty of cricketers to choose from and people will want to balance their teams in a different way.

26. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Wasim Akram is a must in all World 11s. Full Stop.

27. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Left arm angle is a must and he was the best in the business when it comes to that variety..

28. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    i may not agree with you much but i would on this point. No disrespect to to him but i feel wasim being a left hander and since there is no other left hander who comes close to match his talent helps him to get selected in just about any XI.

29. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    I think he is a must also.

The last two slots are for people to pick based on the balance they want in the side.

You have Imran Warne and Sobers.

You then have two slots for

Metronome:
    Mcgrath
    Ambrose

Pace/Strike:
    Marshall
    Waqar
    Steyn

Lefty/Pace:
    Akram

Personally I think I would have Wasim and Marshall.

But Waqar and Mcgrath is a pretty good combo as well if you sacrifice lefty for McGraths relentlessness.

Maybe even Wasim and Waqar! But then you have all three pacers as Pakistani....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  30. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    So now we have....

3. DON BRADMAN
    6. GARY SOBERS
    7. ADAM GILCHRIST
    8. IMRAN KHAN
    9. WASIM AKRAM
    10. SHANE WARNE
    11. MALCOLM MARSHALL

Any arguments against Viv Richards at number 5?

31. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    In ODI and T20I cricket, yes, but not in Test cricket.

32. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    what? he has not even played t20's!

33. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    His 11 is not even bad and he has included four black players so how can he be a racist? I can understand his point of view because Asian teams have always been pathetic in SA.

34. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    lol aap pata nahi konsi dunya mein rehte ho? kohli ab yeh sab Wasim Waqar ke godh mein khelne wale bache hein inko star maante ho. As a bowler, I rate Wasim Akram as the best bowler to have played cricket. Full Stop. Wasim ki bowling Imran se bhi achi thi.

35. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Not in Test cricket.

36. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Nahi bhai test to real cricket hai./// t20 is just like wwe wrestling. Wasim to test cricket ka baadshah tha.. Sachin is nothing infront of greatness of Wasim Akram..

37. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I would go with Wasim and McGrath for those two slots. Spinner you have Warne and Jayasurya to support him. 3rd pacer slot to Imran and allrounder Gary Sobers.

38. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Sachin dominated Akram.

39. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    LOL konsi duya mein ho bhai? Wasim Akram ko kisi ka baap aaj tak dominate nahi kar paaya. Wasim Akram ko dunya ka har batsman respect se khelta tha. Waqar Younus aur Shoaib Akhtar peet jate the but Wasim kabhi peeta hi nahi poore career mein. Even in that 2003 World Cup at Centurion against India, Wasim had respectable figures of 1 for 47 in 10 overs whereas Waqar and Shoaib went for 70+ in their quotas,.

40. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Wasim dismissed him just once in 7 Tests, while Imran Khan dismissed him 2 wice in only 4 Tests. Waqar dismissed him once but that too in 4 Tests. Shoaib dismissed him 3 rice in Tests, while 5 times in ODIs. Waqar dismissed him 4 times in ODIs. Wasim dismissed him 3 rice in 24 ODIs compared to Waqar. Even Imran Khan dismissed him 1 nce in 6 ODIs.