All three committed same mistake than why give chance to only one? Mohammad Asif Interview.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Feb 7, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Hashim Amla on Mohammad Asif:

"Mohammad Asif is the best one, I know he got banned for match fixing, but at that stage he was the best one I faced"

"He was not quick, 135 maybe but his accuracy was phenomenal"

"We played him is SA and in Pakistan in 2007 and he landed on off-stump, I didnt know if it was nipping away or nipping in. He tested your defense really to the maximum"

"And funny enough as the years gone by meeting other cricketers around the world and chatting about it, so many of the guys said the same thing"

"They say Mohammad Asif was the magician with the ball"

Mohammad Asif:

"I performed very well in last season, in 7 games took 45 wickets, but nobody has called out and totally ignored me, which is not fair. If you give chance to one person then it should be the same for others too. Its double standard of PCB and selectors too"

"Even in SA too people are recalling my bowling, Amla & Peterson has also praised me, even AB also mentioned me in his book"

"Its has been three years but I am totally ignored"

"I haven't played much in this season, because I am ignored"

"In SA our batting always used to struggle, but our bowling always used to give fight, but I didn't see that on this tour. We didn't out SA on 100,150 or 200"

"We have bowled short of length on this tour"

"I took most of the wickets on leg-before, caught behind and bowled, I didnt see this kind of bowling from Pakistan on this SA tour"

"Our team had played two side matches but they didn't learn quick enough on this tour"

"Our selection criteria is based on PSL only"

"We are searching for Inzy, Yousuf and Younis. We have quantity but not quality.
    Similarly, we are looking for Shoaib Akhtar, we couldn't even find 140+ bowler, only able to find 135+ avg bowlers"

"If you bowl at 130/135+ then bowler must have swing and seam"

"In Test series we didnt see swing and seam, even though South African bowlers were able to swing and seam the ball, but when Pakistan used to bowl, then pitch used to become batting track"

On 2010 Sydeny Test Spell:

"Sami used new ball very well and took top 3 wickets. He as bowling with the wind"

"By mistake I started but used the wrong end"

"I asked Yousuf bhai than please allow me to use that end, and I took 6 wickets"

"I am unable to see such match winning spells now from Pakistan. I dont see such threatening spell from Pakistani bowlers"

"South African pitches were ideal pitches for bowling. We used to swing and seam in SA, but our bowlers didnt use it neither enjoy bowling in SA on this tour"

"Bowling coach should've been taught how to swing and seam to our bowlers. He could have used old video before match or net sessions, work with bowlers. And same goes for batting"

"Amir used to shape the ball very well, which we saw in CT game. He was able to bring the ball back to right hand. But we dont see it anymore"

"Speed of our bowlers has been effected because of too much cricket and focus of our players is PSL. PSL is priority"

"Selection committee has to make decision, which bowler has to play in which format"

"We are not playing many Test matches"

Bowlers of other teams also play in Test and T20 but it doesn't effect much their speed, but speed becomes issue only for our bowlers. I get the feeling that they want to save themselves for PSL"

"I regret on what I did, but it has been three years and I performed very well on domestic. Selectors watches my games and they also appreciated my performance. However, I am very disappointed with double-starts"

"All three committed same mistake than why give chance to only one?"

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Fair play, why only Amir has been allowed to play and others two are ignored?

It seems like he is involve in coaching role now.

3. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    The match fixing issue wasn't the first strike for Asif. He was detained at Dubai airport for opium possession and he failed a dope test. This was strike three for him.

4. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And for Butt?

Also, if this the case with Asif then why not tell it to him straight?

5. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    You really think Asif doesn't know why he'll never be selected again?

Butt was the captain at the time and he is the one who approached Amir to bowl the no ball. He's the one who had the connections with the bookies.

6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    No matter how many justifications you give for ignoring them, it wouldn't be enough.

PCB shouldn't have allowed Amir to play again. But they actually speed up the process for his return and totally ignoring the other two. Plain wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    It’s unfair really isn’t it, Butt should have came back as should have Asif or you shouldn’t have let all three back.

8. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Asif has been a repeated offender. Should be happy that he is allowed to play domestic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    No point selecting 30+ year olds with a lot of baggage, Amir was 23-24 during his comeback and could represent the side for 8-10 years.

10. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Justifications? I'm just stating the facts. You can go and look them up if you don't believe me.

11. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Lol Asif shameful to say that after so many chances given to you in the past despite repeat offences

12. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    All three punished for the crime they committed and after that all should be treated the same. Problem is Pakistan's selection of national team, it's never been about the performance/merit, otherwise many deserving player will not be ignored.

13. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    No way was the crime equal. Butt was the captain of the team with the added responsibility and privilege to lead and guide the players on a foreign tour. Comparing Butt to Amir is like comparing a General tasked with leading his troops to a new Sepoy on his first outing. Even after getting caught, and in contrast to Amir, Butt had no remorse, kept denying to the end and didn't take responsibility. He really deserved a lifetime ban, there is nothing he can do to ever redeem himself.

Asif's case is in between, and perhaps he deserves a chance to return but I never want to see Butt play again.

14. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Butt was the captain of the National team...the ring leader.

Asif had previous...Nandrelone issue; Opium issues and then this. He should shut up and think about why he still messed things up despite being given so many chances.

15. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Regret is very painful. You could have been one of the all time greats with majestic izzat. The chance has gone now. The boat has long sailed.

16. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Asif got caught cheating in international cricket. Was also a repeat offender. He was still allowed to return to domestics and international ban theoretically lifted.

Look at Kaneria though. Got caught cheating in domestics and banned from all cricket for life. This is much more unfairness

17. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Salman Butt's interview. Skip to 09:56 for discussion relevant to this thread.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  18. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indeed, you are making it look like that Asif deserves life ban due to his past and Amir 'the baby fixer' should be allowed to play again, because his captain was ringleader and he forced him to do what he did.

Wrong again.

Amir knew every step of the way, but it was his inner greed which forced him to commit that crime.

Therefore, after their ban is over, all three should be treated similarly (maybe exception can be made for Butt, because he was the captain). Either let them play or dont, its either black or white, no shades of grey.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  19. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Let me try again. This was Amir's first transgression while Asif already had a couple of strikes to his name.

20. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And for nth time, how it is justified?

Both committed the crime, both served their time. Now either let them play or put unannounced ban on both.

21. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Why do the one planning and committing the robbery get a harsher sentence than the accomplice that drove the van?

Extreme example? Possibly.

But it should do the trick.

That's about Salman Butt.

As for Asif

He messed up three times. So he'll get 3x the punishment. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice........

Why did the judge in their criminal trial give Amir the lightest sentence while both Butt and Asif had to serve actual time in jail?

22. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    To be honest it should be a fairly simple concept to understand.

23. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    After someone has done his time then he is a free man.

But if he expected that he should’ve been an automatic selection into the national side at the end of ban, then he lives in a lala land.

But if he had played into domestic, delivered a great performance to merit his selection into the national side, AND THEN if he had not been selected then yeah, he would’ve had a point.

Instead he is still a big time charsi.

A friend recently sponsored him to play a few games in Holland in a pvt club cricket - and according to my friend, this charsi demanded 24/7 free beer, smokes and drugs BESIDES the match fee being paid to him.

24. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    Asif is a known Alcoholic and Drug abuser. He lives for them and it led to his downfall in his career

25. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    By the same token I can also say that, offender will get death Penalty for on a murder or multiple homicide, punishment is same.

Butt and Amir got their share of the money in 2010, if I am not mistaken then Asif didnt.

Furthermore, if Asif is not selected due to his past, they why he is allowed to play in domestic? Why Inzy has said it multiple times that anybody can perform in domestic and force his selection? And speaking of domestic, he took 45 wickets in 7 games, how many Amir took when he played?

Hypnotically speaking, if Asif has been ignored due to his past, then PCB should quietly communicate it with him, rather than leaving him in limbo.

Every single person in media says the same. All three should be treated same, either let them all play or none.

26. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    I think I’ve said it before, but I believe the spot fixing ban was probably the best thing that happened to him. Also all the drug bans before were very good for him. Players never faced him at length.

It’s allowed this intrigue, this romanticism about his bowling to grow. It’s left everyone questioning what could have been. Personally I believe he would have been figured out pretty soon. He was too clever a bowler for that to finish him so would probably have continued playing second fiddle as 3rd/4th seamer after.

27. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    I tend to agree, even though it’s hard to predict his future if he had continued.

If I remember correctly, his bowling in the international arena had already taken a nose dive after he tested positive for roids, and he had to bowl without the performance enhancement drugs.

He was getting injured more often and his bowling was getting toothless.

I think he would’ve probably be somewhat OK in tests but in LOI, he would’ve been slaughtered.

One thing I would say in his support, after I stand corrected by @Del in the post above, is that if indeed he performed good in domestic, then a fair chance should’ve been given to him.

IMO,
    There is way too much corruption in cricket - There are no saints in the Intl cricket scene.

Our guys were punished primarily not because they were corrupt, but because they were dumb who didn’t know to do it.

There is quite a bit of high level corruption in cricket that is played very smartly under the camouflage of political games.

Our guys were simply a dumb and small fish in this pond of alligators.

28. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    I certainly agree that he should be given a fair chance. The main difference between Amir and the other two is that they continued to deny any involvement until 2013/14! They basically realised that not everyone was completely stupid and finally admitted to their mistakes!

Amir didn’t admit it straight away but surely admitting it before the court case and pleading guilty during trial surely deserves some leniency over the other 2 beghairats that took tv opportunity after tv opportunity even after they’d served their term (!) to cry how they were innocent and hard done by! And some fools actually fell for it.

But yes, our players are just the tip of the iceberg. Corruption is everywhere in international cricket and if they’ve served their term they should be considered for selection if performing.

Back to Asif’s bowling - you are correct that he was only good for test matches - he’d already been thrashed in ODIs. Even during the england 2010 test series, there were great spells but also some spells where he looked completely innocuous!