Amir has contracted chickenpox [Amir has recovered from chickenpox - upd#28]

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by KingOfDoosra, May 13, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012

An untimely bout of what is thought to be chickenpox has left Mohammad Amir's World Cup hopes hanging on by the thinnest of threads.

Amir missed the second ODI against England in Southampton because of what team officials said was a viral infection and he is set to miss the third game in Bristol tomorrow as well. It has now emerged that the infection is likely to be chickenpox. Amir is understood to be in London with his family and not with the team currently.

How long it will take him to recover is not clear at the moment. But even if it is a week from when he originally fell ill, it leaves him with a monumental task to break into Pakistan's 15-man squad. There are only two ODIs left in the series, on Friday and then Sunday. It is thought if he doesn't recover in time for Friday's game, it would be close to impossible for him to make it to the squad.

Amir was not part of Pakistan's original World Cup squad but because teams have till May 23 to make changes, it was thought his initial exclusion was not final. He was brought along as part of the squad to face England and the series was very much seen as an opportunity for him to make a case for himself for World Cup selection.

He was in the XI for the first ODI at The Oval last week but the match was abandoned after 19 overs in which Pakistan batted first. He fell ill on Friday, ahead of the second ODI on Saturday.

If he doesn't make it, it will be the third World Cup he has missed since making his international debut in 2009 - he missed out in 2011 and 2015 because he was serving a five-year ban for his role in the Lord's spot-fixing scandal of 2010.

Amir's wicket-taking form in ODIs since the final of the Champions Trophy in 2017 has been poor. He has only five wickets to show in that time in 15 ODIs (including the washed out game at The Oval). He hasn't leaked runs especially, however, and his economy rate of 4.58 in that period (5.28 if you exclude Zimbabwe and Hong Kong) assumed greater relevance in light of Pakistan's bowling troubles in Southampton, where they conceded 373.

Specifically the death-overs bowling was poor but the fast bowling generally since Pakistan have landed in England has become a growing concern for Mickey Arthur and Sarfaraz Ahmed. They have options ahead of tomorrow's ODI and Junaid Khan is likely to return, as might Mohammad Hasnain.

2. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Would still take a returning Amir with no match practice over Faheem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Lol, Faheem has got lots of haters but he's brought it upon himself.

Did you notice his speed in PSL and in this game? Like wth man? I have plenty of time for a try hard like Hassan Ali - I liked his bowling in last match however disappointed with Faheem and Shaheen but we know Shaheen's pace is like this however Faheem has no excuse for 127 in international and 140+ in PSL. If this continues to happen ban him from the PSL.

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Hope he recovers quickly.

5. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Deadline for changes is 22nd May. I doubt he will recover in time.

6. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Management saying they're hopeful he'll be fit for 4/5 ODIs lool

7. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Get in Haris Rauf

8. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Shaheen was bowling 135ish which is okay tbh.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Seriously, if he has chickenpox then how he'll be available in this series?

On contrary, when he debut? I reckon in 2009 and what is this - 2019 ... Still havent played even a single WC game, Mashallah.

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Oh man. That's put a sad note to all the build up. Faheem is a lucky guy.

11. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Same with Junaid, 2011.

12. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Seeing how rubbish the bowling was in the last ODI and in the Aus series, we could have really used him. Hopefully management comes to its senses and starts playing Hasnain now rather than throwing him in during the WC after everything fails.

13. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Something looked different about Shaheen. I was very dissapointed. I don't care if a bowler gets smashed tbh as long as I see effort, speed and use of brain. I know 135 isn't bad, he was at 82-85 mph it's pace I was worried about his floaty bowling.

135 is not fast.140 isn't. A lot depends on your bowling style. For Bumrah sometimes he bowls at 132 but it's not a floater and hence is still good heat.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  14. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Hope Amir is fit as we will need him.

15. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    The rash of chicken pox can take one week to subside, give and take two weeks, plus one week to recover from fatigue. He should be out for at least 2-3 weeks.

Unfortunately, the older you are at the time of contracting chickenpox, the worse are the symptoms and longer is the recovery.

16. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Is hasnain in this squad? Why is he not playing if he is in the world cup squad?

17. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Shaheen is trash - don’t know why they’re not playing hasnain

18. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I am glad they didn't, his career would have ended before taking off. These kind of pitches and size of the boundaries are atrocious, what in the world is England preparing these days. These English biscuits used to criticize sub continent pitches, they themselves are preparing pan cakes. Koi balance hota hai bat and ball ka.

19. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    2 bad games on extreme pattas and now Shaheen is trash lol

20. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Pattas or not, the whole unit appears to be rubbish.There is no leader of this attack, and nobody has any idea as to why a guy like Faheem is playing in the team.

21. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    Don't PCB provide medical to player?

22. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    They do but not for the drugs "the wives" are feeding to our players.

23. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    It’s not 2 matches. He’s been thoroughly unimpressive for months now. I really do not see much in his bowling. His movement is marginal, his pace is nothing special. He’ll top out at 88mph (142-143), but most of his deliveries are 82. Worst of all he doesn’t take advantage of his main asset (height). He should be using it to get steepling bounce, so either bowl fast or use your bounce. And on to that, his action is all wrong for a tall bowler.

Just another bowler who runs in without a plan, gets thrashed, walks back to his mark. Repeat

24. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Immensely unfair

25. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    It’s not about stats. I just don’t see anything there.

I have a feeling he’s the Stuart broad of pak. They’ll keep playing him, force him upon us and let a lot of genuinely good bowlers slip through the net with some obsession to make shaheen a star.

Broad has a very average record and should have been discarded years ago. Shaheen should be discarded now. When I say discarded I mean drop him and tell him to bring something new

26. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes he is, and I reckon Shaheen should make way for him in next game.

27. Hero

Hero Youngsta Beauty

Mar 18, 2019
    white people back to their tricks. /s

28. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Amir to sit out of fifth England ODI despite recovering from chickenpox

Pakistan pacer Mohammad Amir has recovered from chickenpox infection, after the he was declared fit by the medical staff.

According to Daily Express, Amir, whose minor infection had turned into chickenpox few days back, is back in Pakistan’s World Cup plans but he won’t be immediately feature in the side, bearing in mind Sunday’s fifth one-day international (ODI) against England.

Doctors have advised against putting Amir in the thick of things, soon after recovering from the infection.

Amir played one game during the tour matches, against Northamptonshire, while he was not picked to be part of the team during the one-off T20I match against England. He was part of the team for the first ODI against England, a match which was called off due to rain and where Amir did not get a chance to bowl, while he was ousted from the lineup for the second and third ODI due to chickenpox infection.

The fifth ODI between the two sides will be played at Headingley in Leeds on Sunday, May 19. The home side already has an unassailable lead in the series which makes the match a dead rubber.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...england-odi-despite-recovering-from-chickenpo

29. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Hmmm does this mean he’s out of contention for the WC or has already made it and don’t wanna risk further injury

30. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    He should be selected...

The current seamers can't keep the run rate down....

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

31. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Amir is a lock for the WC squad. Only question is who makes way for him. I'd drop Faheem.

32. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Faheem has got to be dropped for Amir.