Amir Khan Thread

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by BALOCH_786, May 16, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Going to be around 4am here in the UK

2. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    what time is there right now?

3. Talha3

Talha3 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 28, 2012
    Midnight.

4. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Just gone midnight here. Fight will be on in around 28 hours from now!

5. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    i hope that delusional idiot wins because i really cant stand Garcia's father.

6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Khan promising a knockout...let's hope he delivers on that!

7. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Garcia is still an unknown quantity. If Khan loses this fight then his days as an A list boxer are over. He simply cant afford to be exposed again. Khan has this nasty habit of looking down at people IE kel brook and its a simple case of be careful of who you step on on your way o the top because you'll see em again on the way down. He was laughing at kel brooks with the very same insult mayweather used on him.

8. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    It will be a tuff match for both

9. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Come on Khan! Let's have him!

10. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
  11. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    someone post a link please...

12. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Khan's career has come to a dead end for now.

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Khan Khan Khan. Game over babu. Hard to see him come back from that. He got his backside handed to him. Wasn't expecting that.

14. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Glass chin and overconfidence. He had Garcia dancing to his tune in the first 2 rounds. Khan became too aggressive and left himself open to a solid hook. Garcia is nothing special.

15. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    He played in to team Garcias tactics. All the pre match hype from Garcias dad really got in to Khans head. Overconfident and he payed big time. He had the speed to slip in and out but he wanted to tussle and in the end that led to his downfall. Can he come back from this now? He will have to start all over again now.

16. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010

I dont understand boxing but I think you are spot on and that was my first thought at the beginning of 4th round...where amir walked in purely for his ego which is exactly how Garcia wanted.

17. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    After the first knockdown he was lucky the ref let it go on. His legs were wobbly and he never recovered. Even when he was in the corner after the bell went you could see clearly his head wasn't there. Garcia was underestimated by a lot of people including me. Khan may have shown some heart but he was getting beating around the ring like a schoolboy. And to think he wanted to fight Mayweather next if he won. This was a big reality check and that's coming from a Khan fan.

18. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
  19. Waq

Waq Emerging Player

May 9, 2010
    This was a proper beating. Khan's legs were gone and could have easily been knocked down 4/5 times if it was
    not for the ropes or bell.

The punch that led to the first knock down was part neck and jaw but I believe that it really exposed the glass chin theory that has clouded him.

There are some small positives - namely winning the fight on points before the knock downs and showing heart but I fear he will not be taken seriously.

Can I make a controversial comment? Did Khan not have a new conditioning coach for this fight and not use Alex Ariza? If you are familiar with the rumours about victor conte methods then perhaps there is a link. Khan also did not use Ariza against that Irishman and showed some vulnerability yet against the likes of Maidana, Khan took a beating and stayed on his feet despite his mind being gone.

Whatever the truth is, I really enjoy watching Khan as a fighter and will continue to do so. He has probably inspired many young Pakistanis to take up the sport but he will never be a legend. No chance!

20. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    d
    What did i say??? Now khan is going to have to face some tough domestic competition because no genuine world contender wouldwant to fight someone comming off 2 losses. I bet kel brooks will want to make khan answer for his douchiness. I said it before and i will say it again, khans hangers on and managment team will ruin his career and i guess they have. They abused his career for quick bucks and shortcuts filling his head with nonsense. What is wrong with all brits (post lewis) who win olympic medals? Degale, harrisson and now khan.

21. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Arisa throws more tantrums than a little girl but i agree his new S &C coach had some odd methods ie talking about toothpaste and rat poison.

22. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    agree with Waq and Wajid - Taberes did nothing to help Khan, where was this power he was supposed to have been working on?
    Ariza concentrated on Khans legs knowing Khan has a suspect chin and having strong legs would give him the best chance of taking big shots, but last night was like watching the old Khan again, he has regressed the past year.

Khan is also incredibly thick, does not stick to the game plan, intent on brawling rather than boxing, Roach must be having fits watching Khan stand his ground and having a slug fest far too often. When will Khan realise he is not a big puncher and never will be! Use your speed, hit and get the hell out of there?!

23. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Khan was in all fairness dominating garcia but he got clipped albeit not flush and went down never to recover. His performance till then was pretty good. he was moving well, used great combos that worked well with his blistering handspeed. I still however blame roache for not drilling into khans thick head to use the jab and let garcia come to you. Tbh i dont think i will blame khan for this debacle after all what are we supposed to blame him for? Not being able to take a hit like micky ward???? If i was team khan i would seriously consider jumping ship to manny stewards camp. He taught one of the klits how to hide the chin behind the jab maybe he can do it with khan....At the very least i hope khan has learnt some humility.

24. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Exactly! Being a big puncher isnt the 'be all and end all' Calzaghe built one hell of a rep on his work rate.

25. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    Roach said Khan got carried away with his success in the early rounds, got overconfident and instead of throwing punches in 2's and 3's he went in for more punches and he got caught by a left hook in the process, it is only Khans fault really. Khan's ego gets in the way, Garcias dad said they knew Khan starts fast and then fizzles away and i think they got into Khans head with their comments before the fight.

26. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Emerging Player

Mar 17, 2012
    Good post

Khan needs to change his approach, the entertaining and gung-ho needs to go and he has to become a boxer, it might be boring BUT it is his best chance of getting as far as he can. Also he has taken a lot of hits in his career, that can't be healthy for him long term

27. Talha3

Talha3 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 28, 2012
    Khan has previously said he won't be boxing after 28 anyway for those health reasons.

28. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    a
    well that was on the assumption that he had some kind of legacy. His reputation is in tatters and he hasnt really fought anybig names in their prime.

29. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    Very sad after awaked early and see aamir is lossing

30. Geordie Ahmed

Mar 17, 2012
    He has made enough money, like Naz did BUT does he have the fight in him to continue or like Naz will he call it a day

31. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Naz was running through the competition till he decided to call it a day after one loss......which he could have recovred from. With khan you get that feeling that he never really accomplished much on the pro stage, hes always looked vulnerable imho. Llike geordie says he can call it a day and ride off into the sunset with no financial worries. Isnt his reebok sponsership like a 10 yr contract????

32. Strength Is Life

Strength Is Life Talented

Jun 20, 2012
    First of all it was a very good bout to watch. Before I write anything else, I would like to specifically mention this---full credit to Khan for actually recovering after that incredibly brutal punch he received which floored him. I honestly thought the referee would stop the bout at that stage itself and the more I see of it in replays, the more astounded I am as to how the hell in the world did Khan even get up and actually continue fighting. It just tells me that he has the heart of a fighter. But being a fighter can only take you so far without a sound strategy and technique. Clearly speed is his forte but I dont understand why he jumps in a lot. I always felt Garcia was waiting for that one moment when Khan was doing all this jumping in to land in his sucker punch and boy did it floor Khan. But again I would like to reiterate not too many fighters would have gotten up after that blow and to that extent credit to Khan.

Although on paper Garcia was the colossal underdog, the whole pre match hype before this bout, I got a feeling that Khan walked straight into the trap laid by the Garcia team. The way Garcia Sr. riled him up with those incendiary statements, I just think somehow at the back of my mind I knew there was more to Garcia's game plan. The first two rounds were beautiful exhibition of boxing by Khan. This is precisely the reason win or lose he will always be seen as an entertaining fighter. But the 4th round was just a shame to watch, Khan was all over the place and I just felt like I was watching a safari hunt by a lion. Garcia was chasing Khan all over the ring and it was just a matter of time before the bout finished.

What next for Khan? Two back to back losses and already people have begun to write him off. This is where I think he needs a really strong support system. These kind of knock out's can be pretty debilitating mentally especially when you are expected to win the bout. I believe it is going to take an incredible amount of discipline and self belief and most importantly just try and concentrate on his forte which is speed without trying to be too flashy.

33. lahori

lahori Youngsta Beauty

Jul 3, 2011
    He got beat. Mentally and Physically. I am very sad for AK. I like him but he isn't a smart - he's just too keen on 'mixing it up', rather than fight to his strengths. He laid the template out of what needed to be done in the first couple rounds but then decided to try n mix it and stay in range. The rest is history :(

34. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Ive got it! The only way i can describe khan is, he is to boxing what Sami is to cricket. Physically gifted but thick as dog crap!
    He may be a pratt but as a fellow pakistani i dont want to see the dude go out like that. I hope somehow he can get a rematch. Otherwise he has has a tough tough fight against kel brooks coming up.

35. Talha3

Talha3 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 28, 2012
    ^ If we're going on cricket comparisons, I'd desribe him more as an Afridi or Umar Akmal. Sami's mentally weak and I don't think Khan is. As you say, physically gifted/talented. He's not intelligent but that's not his main/only weakness, other things come in the way i.e wanting to put on a show and complacency due to assuming he's far superior to the opponent.

36. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I think my analogy is fine. Someone who drops the gameplan and goes into close combat is mentally weak. He got duped into a slugfest and lost out....if that isnt mental weakness then what is. Comparing khan to someone like afridi makes no sense considering khan is neither a great batsmen or bowler.Sami has all the trappings of a great bowler but still gets it wrong kind of like Khan.
    Complacency would be an excuse if khan didnt have alarm bells ringing after the last fight which he lost.

37. Geordie Ahmed

Mar 17, 2012
    I don't agree with the Sami comparisons, that dude has a 50+ bowling average - Amir Khan has some decent wins under him

38. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    I've been a fan of him since 2004, I've literally grown up watching him since his fights we're free to watch on TV and now he's a certified pay per viewer. But even at his best Khan is an average fighter. From his own division he's very good but nothing extraordinary. Talks of him fighting Mayweather I've been laughing at since day 1 - Floyd would eat him alive.

39. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    @geordi_ahmed imho his record is hardly special. Only recognised names on there are judah barrera and mallinaggi.the first where past their best and malinaggi is just a good boxer nothing special.

40. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    cant say i fully agree with this, yes i will give Khan credit for getting up after each knock down, but as Garcia said, they were the same shots he hit Morales with all night and that fight went the distance. Khan's chin is extremely suspect.
    Khan has taken shots from bigger punchers ie Maidana - hes just regressed and should get Ariza back or Tabares should switch the focus back onto making Khans legs stronger
    Khan really is wasting his abundant talent