Amir Khan Thread

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by BALOCH_786, May 16, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    Leading boxer? He may be a fellow pakistani but he is not the uk's leading boxer! He probably aint even in the top 5!

1) Carl Froch
    2) Anthony Ogogo
    3)Haye
    4)Kel Brooks
    5) cleverly/khan

2. H@roon

[email protected] Youngsta Beauty

Oct 3, 2012
    Typical big mouthed desi is what amir khan is. I think

3. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    you lost me at haye...

Anyways...khan would get WRECKED if he fought Matthysse, and would probably lose against alexander and garcia.

4. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Why Haye?

5. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    That is exactly what I was thinking

6. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    He's a solid world class boxer.

7. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    I'll reserve my judgement for now, he fights fury in September? Let's see how he does

8. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
  9. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess Amir Khan has got himself a tidy pay packet and more than likely retirement package. All indicators point to khan fighting Mayweather. After this fight khan will more than likely be on a fast track to fighting at york hall.

10. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Or open more skype accounts

11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    If it does go ahead and somehow they manage to negotiate a fight at wembley...I will be going! Not going to happen though!

12. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I wonder what the ticket prices would be?

13. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    I couldnt afford the ticket lol... look forward to seeing the fight though, just for the entertainment value.

14. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Khan to pull off an upset
    He will make it to the second round

15. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    good luck to Khan - for all his shenanigans I hope he gives a good account of himself because he is a pakistani and there are going to be a lot of pakistani kids the world over hearing about this and some will surely follow in his footsteps to professional boxing if he is somehow able to come out with some respect for his boxing abilities.

Amir Khan is the 1st big name boxer of Pakistani heritage but there are going to be a lot better and bigger ones in the future i am sure, he has set the ball rolling but fighting Mayweather can potentially speed the process up a lot faster

still think he will get absolutely destroyed though lol
    Mayweather will just toy with him once he has got Khan's speed down

16. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    its all about the payday, mayweather knows khan is marketable, I bet he makes much more fighting Khan in the UK than he would fighting another mexican, who would also be a tougher opponent... he has the american market down, but the mexicans wont bring in as much as the asians the world over and the UK.

17. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I doubt that, the Mexicans have a huuuuuge appetite for boxing, they have a fighting history that goes back several decades. The last time i truly saw Pakistanis hyped was with Mike Tyson unless ive missed someone. LBH khan makes his money off white people and his less than stellar performances have dampened his earning potential!
    I know a lot of us are outing his handspeed but am i the only one who thinks its overrated? Its not like its precision punching Like Sugar Ray Leonard?
    EDIT: Naseem Hamed was a pretty big deal as well and could get us excited.

18. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    He made between $50-60 million in the canello fight i doubt khan would help mayweather get that....despite mayweather getting a guaranteed sum!

19. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    agree, Khan is fast but hes all over the place, has little accuracy and pretty crappy footwork when throwing his flurries.
    I think Mayweather just wants to test another market, hes dominated the mexicans so much recently and this is likely to be easy money and an easy fight for him whilst gaining more exposure through fighting a british pakistani, Maybe im wrong but Khan fighting Mayweather should perk up the ears of a lot of Pakistanis living across the world, Mayweather is arguably the biggest name in world boxing.

20. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    He's no mug, he knows khan has a huge following just check out his twitter account lol BUT he's also a prizefighter, Floyd knows khan is low risk and a decent return but most importantly Khan poses nominal risk to the all important 0! That said i would love to see khan KO FMJ just to see khans ego lol.
    I tell you what, virgil hunter has indicated openly that a FMJ fight is not a good idea.

21. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    Yeah I was going to mention Hameed.... but we've not had the boxer to spend money on and get behind either, it's really gone Tyson/Hameed and then Khan... a lot of people wouldn't go to america but I bet lots get down to London for it.

Besides, mexicans love boxing and have huge history but the country can't pull in sponsorships on the level that I think he would get for the Khan fight in the UK. Since it's already going to be a marquee event I reckon it will snowball and we will see huge media interest. Its Mayweather that pulls in the gate receipts and box office deals, that will still happen, but we'll see spending power of brits vs mexicans and thats where the extra money will come in from.

That and Mayweather has always wanted a big fight in the UK, and really Khans the only name here he could go after. Brook isn't even near the door nevermind knocking on it yet.

I am one of those that thinks his handspeed is immense, but he leaves himself open after every combination amongst other mistakes.

22. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I honestly think you are overating khans ability to generate revenue. If you look at the money hispanic fighters can generate and khan generates you'd see the disparity. Im not saying will not generate money but in the grand scheme of things hes not that big a draw.

23. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    I possibly am, I know Khan alone cant command the money a marquez alone can - what I feel is, is that khan being pretty exciting, a brit, a pakistani, and in a fight of this scale will have some huge sums pumped in just for the novelty factor of it... after hatton this is britains second chance to really have a go at the elite in the sport.

Americans are more used to seeing a mayweather fight, but mayweathers first and probably last fight in the UK? thats got to sell big I think.

24. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    p.s. I think he gets flattened though lol

25. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    I think Khan can create a lot of hype for the fight, hes arrogant and still thinks he is the best in the world. controversy sells, most fighters have pretty dull personalities, Khan v Mayweather together they can stir up alot of crap in the war of the words and that will help sell the fight as both talk big and there is likely to be a clash of personalities.

For all of Mayweathers star power, hes not nearly as well known in the UK, whereas people who dont even follow sports or boxing know about Khan here, by fighting Khan, Mayweather will definetly become more well known here and increase his exposure, maybe more about marketing himself than fighting Khan lol

then theres the following and exposure which will come from a pakistani fighting the worlds best boxer, its sure to be reported in SE Asia and every paki here will be talking about it, Granted SE Asia isnt exactly a hub of boxing but Mayweathers name will be a lot more recognisable after this fight and for FMJ its all about the money and from increased exposure outside of the USA he will get more of what he wants.

26. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Hatton, say what you want about him but he earnt his stripes he earnt the right to get in the ring with the elite fighters. Khan hasn't and im not sure if hes even fought anyone in this weight class yet. This is all mayweather wanting a gimme fight.
    I tell you what I find unsettling aabout this fight. This fight serves khans career no purpose. He isnt fighti g for a legacy hes fighting for a paycheck.
    More of a concern is his coach's reaction a while back to a mayweather fight. If your coach isnt confident you have a problem.

27. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    fully agree and mentioned the same thing in this thread, Khan seems to have no interest in becoming one of the worlds best boxers but more interest in becoming one of the worlds richest boxers.
    absolutely zero interest in creating a legacy in the ring for his ability but in a kind of ironic way he will likely leave a legacy and influence thousands of Pakistani youngsters to take up the sport so good on him for breaking that barrier.

I can see it in my family, I have 2 nephews 15 and 16 who go to MMA 3-4 times a week but prefer the boxing(they are coming with friends to train with me Friday, so Im gonna batter them for lols)
    and I have a 12yr old son who goes to his boxing club 2-3 times per week and his club have requested I let him enter competitions now.

28. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    I saw that interview from virgil, no reading between the lines needed. He also doesnt think Khans focused enough and I agree... bit sad but the decision making factor all round here is money from all sides.

29. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    You're gonna let him fight arent you? btw any interest in cricket at all in the kid?

30. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    neither of my sons like cricket, not the 12yr old or the 10yr old which is a shame because I played county cricket so you'd think they'd have some natural talent there?! it doesnt help Pakistan are crap, thats all they know so its less likely they follow cricket as kids, at least we had good teams to follow growing up, it increases their chances of participating but I let both choose their own paths and dont force any interest upon them.

yes ive told him he can box, he practices against his 15 and 16yr old cousins anyway so i think he'll be ok in the ring and has done plenty of sparring.

31. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    I wouldnt force anything on mine (when I have them!) but it would still be a nice thing to see, just cricket in the blood, down the generations lol

I will look out for him then when he starts his amateur career!

32. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    best influence is you really, I have stopped playing cricket so my kids never saw me play, whereas they see me going gym and boxing from a young age and the elder one and 2 nephews have followed suit.

Boxing is a tough sport to crack, arguably the most disciplined and toughest sport there is so im under no illusions and do not expect anything but regardless of how he ends up, what he learns from boxing will help him in later life. hopefully he doesnt pick up how to pose nude on skype in the process

33. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    While growing up my uncles used to talk like they knew nas personally lol. I didn't find out that he wasn't even Pakistani till I was 10 .

34. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    ive met pakistanis who STILL thought Naseem Hamid was a Pakistani lol

35. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    A lot of Pakistanis are into mma these days rather than boxing . All though there still isn't a major fighter who everyone could go watch and support .

36. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    its just the latest fad really, when I was kid it was all about Karate and kids would crap themselves if they heard you did karate
    then it was boxing
    then it was kick boxing
    and now it is MMA

im sure Kabaddi was in there briefly too when Channel 4 started showing it

37. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    I asked my dad if i could do boxing when I was about 8 . His reply was why do you want to pay to get beaten up I'll do it for free . Lol always with the sarcastic responses .

38. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Lol kabaddi

39. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I have to say i do find MMA more interesting especially when you get such awesome fights like mark hunt v Bigfoot. Im just glad the boxing threads are coming to life because theres only like two ppl here that watch MMA including myself.

Back on topic, did anyone see how Angel Garcia got in Khans head? I shudder to think what the Mayweathers will do to khan.

40. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    Angel Garcia got to me nvm khan lol he was very annoying indeed.

I don't watch mma but I follow stories like that big guy who was a street fighter his name eludes me... Made it as an mma fighter then I think Brock lesnar dealt with him. Also was a programme British vs Americans a few years ago on sky one filmed over a couple of months like a reality show that was good got my attention for abit