1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Any good documentaries to watch?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Energy, Feb 8, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
  2. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
  3. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Have seen this twice, its awesome

4. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
    One I have been very eager to watch is, These Birds Walk.
    Looked very interesting from the trailer and has had a lot of very good reviews.

5. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
  6. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
  7. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
  8. Questioner

Questioner Talented

Jul 1, 2013
    Bump.
    Any good documentaries to watch? But I don't use watch them because usually I don't know if it's good :shrug

SOPL you will kind this thread interesting :ninja

9. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Megastructures series by National Geographic on a YouTube.

10. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    I thought it would be commendable to post this highly intriguing documentary, given how it chronicles an extremely interesting event that occurred within the sport of boxing:

This is possibly the most fascinating and moving sporting documentaries I've ever seen - and I'm not even that much of a boxing fan! In my opinion, it definitely supersedes any cricket documentaries available.

11. perfectlegspinner

perfectlegspinner Youngsta Beauty

Apr 5, 2014
    Magnetic Storms.
    The secrets of sleep.
    9-11 Loose Change.
    Fabric of the Cosmos. (highly recommend)

12. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I highly, highly recommend The Crisis of Civilization by Nafeez Ahmed.

Why we fight (2005) by Eugene Jarecki is excellent, The Oil Factor in the war on terror is also a good documentary though too focused on oil imho.

13. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Doesn't the name give it away :p

In anticipation of my visit to Andulucia I recently watched 'the rise and fall of Muslim spain'

It can be found on youtube.

14. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    I recall watching a similar documentary 1-2 years ago, although the one you've provided appears much detailed. This is a brief introduction to the topic I feel:

15. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
  16. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Watch as many as you want here. :)

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

On the right panel, you will see top rated documentary. Space Station Tour is an excellent documentary.

4-20-2014 7-40-09 PM.jpg

17. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Bloodz &Crips - Made in America:
    It talks about the history behind the gangs .I fully recommend you give it a watch.

18. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    SOPL i rem you saying you enjoyed the documentary about mclelan and benn if im not mistaken, heres another one you might like if you havent seen it before. also for any other boxing fans too

i posted the first bit, the rest is on utube

19. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
  20. WiiiCKET

WiiiCKET Youngsta Beauty

Jun 4, 2012
  21. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Blackfish: The Whale That Killed

This is a documentary which I discovered a few months ago, but one which I only managed to finally watch only recently.

Encapsulating, controversial but always informative and factual, it highlights the life of the notorious killer whale Tillikum who has lived up to his name; being a killer of three individuals, including some of the most well-respected head trainers in the occupation.

Ultimately though, it conveys across the corporate greed of SeaWorld who masquerade as being the saviours of marine mammals but have the completely opposite intentions. The scene where Tillikum is on his back, serving as very literally a sperm bank to artificially impregnate female killer whales throughout the world, is possibly the greatest evidence of SeaWorld's sole - and nefarious - intention to exploit these magnificent creatures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j49l6

This is a link to the BBC's synopsis of the documentary; the actual documentary is available upon the web.

22. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    SOPL i saw that that a few months ago, im not an animal person but i hate seeing animals in captivity, people should travel and pay to see these animals in their natural environment, i hate zoos and circus's and the lot.

i saw artifact the other day, pretty eye opening in terms of how record labels screw their acts. jared letos band recorded 4 multi million selling albums for the label, and after 7 years they found out they actually owed the label more than a million dollars, when they tried to get out of the contract they got sued for $30 mill, lols. forwarded plenty of it, but was educational nonetheless.

23. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    ElRaja, I'm completely the same. I'm also not much of an "animal person" but abhor of animal captivity. Such eloquent beings reduced to performing for entertainment in front of cretins - absolutely despicable.

The idiotic and myopic nature of the people who attend these events and cheer with no clue as to the exploitation of these beautiful mammals is also genuinely worrying.

I'm not really a fan of boxing (in the sense that I don't really follow trending news, although I can throw a few legendary names/bouts out there on the spot) but I admittedly do have a passing interest in the sport (generally, more concerning the history of the sport - on which I've read a few books).

Personally, I believe - much like everybody's fascination with the Olympic 100m Sprint - it is one of those sports which manages to gauge my attention and subsequently instigate the "standing of hair on end".

However, I'd like to further increase my interest in the sport and learn more about its rich history (which is partially why I'm intrigued by such documentaries such as the McClellan-Benn Documentary) and eventually fully appreciate the technicality of the sport and watch/follow upcoming bouts/news/boxers vividly.

Anyhow, thanks for posting this, I'll definitely watch it shortly (in the summer holidays).

24. Questioner

Questioner Talented

Jul 1, 2013
    Recently watched salman rushdie and the satanic verses affair, a very interesting documentary highlighting the lead up, consequences and impact that the whole event had as well how it become so widespread with all the protests and politics involved etc.

25. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    SOPL do you use a random word generator?

26. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
    After a pretty long wait I finally got the opportunity to watch this documentary type movie. It was little over an hour long and was probably directed more at those who have little knowledge on the inner realities of homeless/runaway children in Pakistan or in this case, Karachi. It also shows the tough situation and life many people face in Karachi.

It was an absolutely incredible little piece to watch. So simple but yet so powerful showing the true nature of such difficulties so many people face. I could write a lot about 'These Birds Walk' but think people would be better of watching it themselves.

SOPL, ComradeVenom, Desi_Joker would like this. Certainly worth a watch.

27. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendation will check it out on the weekend!

28. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
    I am hoping for good documentary about Ottoman Empire. I am fascinated about its lifestyle, leadership and everything in it.

I am gonna youtube it, but if anyone come with the name of good documentary show, do let us know. Thank.

29. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    the last documentary i saw whcih i actually thought taught me something was al jazeeras doc on the yom kippur war, really well made and great interviews. in terms of war docs this is right up there second only to the bbc documentary about the balkan wars.

also avaiable on youtube on aljazeeras channel i think....

30. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Thanks for the recommendation Victorious Pakistan.

I initially thought this aforementioned documentary would be one based upon nature/birds (which makes me cringe thinking about it now) but anyhow, thanks for the documentary; it's another one which I have added to my list of must-watch documentaries.
    Nope, not at all lol.

I understand my vocabulary can seem a little strenuously chosen at times, but I don't use random word generators or any other similar packages.

However, one thing which I do try to do is when I discover an unfamiliar term, I search for its definition because - most importantly - I like to completely understand the text in hand and make reading it an enjoyable and engaging experience (for me, there is nothing worse than reading a text and then finding it to be boring and a laborious read just because I don't understand a few more elaborate words).

Additionally, this process helps too, in regards to further improving my vocabulary - a reason why I also tend to utilise internet thesauri occasionally to discover previously-known terms which refuse to enter my mind (I have a frustrating problem with memory).

31. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
  32. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    There was a decent documentary on BBC hosted by Rageh Omar. I forgot its name though...you should be able to find it.

33. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
    I was looking for that too. Just can't remember that name. Thank for the host name though, that should do the trick for now. Thank

Assalamu Alaikum, brother!

34. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    A rather macabre documentary is currently being broadcast on Channel 4 [UK].

It is entitled Pakistan's Hidden Shame and concentrates on the gruesome tale that is sexual exploitation.

Merely a quarter of an hour in, and I'm already wanting to put my foot through the TV. I don't like to - and thus don't tend to - swear on the forum, but some of these people are literally piles of shit.

One man has already stated that, and I quote, "The boy invited me to..... [insert graphic term]" whilst another has declared that he expects his son and daughter to become heroin addicts and victims of sexual abuse, using the quote "You reap what you sow".

Absolutely disgusting individuals - this country is going the drain whilst people are still claiming that progress can be made through democratic reforms.

It's shameful how far this supposedly Islamic country is from Jinnah's vision.

35. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    SOPL i was watching that too and the unabashed recollection of their paedophillia was surprising. i knew this kind of stuff is common in pak, didnt know being outed as a peado would be so noncosequential as to be spoken of as idle chat.

have been thinking of making a thread about paedophilia and pakistanis after the rotherham news, no doubt this docuementary was opportunisticly timed but there is no doubt a worrying underlying trend.

36. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Did anyone watch the documentary on Channel 4 on Monday just gone on child sex abuse "Pakistan's Hidden Shame" which was specifically about Peshawar.

37. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Dreams Of A Life

A filmmaker sets out to discover the life of Joyce Vincent, who died in her bedsit in North London in 2003. Her body wasn't discovered for three years, and newspaper reports offered few details of her life - not even a photograph.

38. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    The Ottomans: Europe's Muslim Emperors coming on national tv channel here. Gonna watch it.

39. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    This is a brilliant short movie. miracle of andes flight

KingOfDoosra this is the one

40. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012