1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Asad Shafiq - Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mars, Jun 2, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    You are right!

This thread is to support the inclusion of a talented young lad in our team. Asad Shafiq performed tremendously in 2011 World Cup. His model is the Pakistani legend 'Muhammad Yousuf' and his playstyle closely resembles his model.
    He has been unfortunate not to be an integral part of the squad as his performances have been overshadowed by Umar Akmal.

This thread is dedicated to Asad Shafiq 'the little master' of Pakistan. We want Asad Shafiq to be preferred over the irresponsible Umar Akmal.

<3!
    [​IMG]

2. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    It's bizarre how they've treated Shafiq. Seems like performance counts for little. He's not lit up the world but a very adaptable and reliable youngsta who I have personally liked quite a bit (though till recently I questioned a Test spot).

3. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    I like Asad Shafiq and feel he'll be better than Azhar Ali in the longer run. But I'd want to play both Shafiq and Akmal in my ODI/T20 team and not just one over the other.

4. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Umar Akmal - a much better batsmen then Shafiq. Umar should be in the test side ahead of Shafiq. Shafiq is too inconsistent. Very inconsistent batsmen and isn't the best technically as his bat comes down from an angle which makes him prone to getting caught in the slips.

5. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Agree with all that but if we play players on that basis, Imran Nazir should be the first pick.
    Oh and inconsistency? what irony!

6. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    i like his batting a lot n he has the potential to be a good batter, has been inconsistent but then many others who have been inconsistent for ages, get to play ahead of him!!

7. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    He should definitely be playing in the ODI side at the expense of Younis Khan. Him at 4, following Umar Akmal, would be perfect imo.

He's done decently so far in his career but I would like to see him go on and make the most of his starts and get big hundreds. For instance, the final ODI against England he made 60 odd and had an IDEAL opportunity to get a match winning century, but played a poor dab stroke and chopped it on - its a problem with most young Pakistani batsmen coming through so I hope Whatmore can help iron out these flaws.

But yeah, he's a classy player and will be the mainstay of our lineups along with Umar and Azhar in the future!

8. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    It should be noted that Asad Shafiq has been playing very inconsistently and at different positions in the line-up.
    He is not given the chance which our dearest talent, Umar Akmal, is getting.

I have been a huge fan of Umar Akmal, however, his recent performances especially yesterdays is an evidence of his impatience and irresponsibility. Asad, on the other hand, has been playing handy knocks and anchoring the innings quite well, although, he got out at the wrong time in several innings, it still shows that he has the capability and temperament which Umar Akmal is lacking.
    Furthermore his strike rotating abilities i.e sweeps, dabs and cuts are fascinating to watch.
    I like his playing style and I see him as the Pakistani replicate of Mahela Jayawardene/Moyo. He needs to be given the confidence and consistency required.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Asad Shafiq suffers from NMCS.

Players like Afridi, Umar Akmal, Akhtar, Nazir, etc all have plenty of MC in their corner but guys like Asim Kamal, Asad Shafiq, Taufeeq Umar, etc are plagued with NMCS and so dont get the preferential treatment the others do.

10. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    Umar Akmal is immensely talented compared to Asad Shafiq, however, I see Asad Shafiq is very hardworking lad compared to Umar Akmal. I have seen Asad Shafiq at various camps and I must say the lad works quite hard on his batting and is always willing to hear what the coaches say.

Whilst I support Asad Shafiq and more importantly his selection in ALL formats. But I would urge with the fact here if he is in the side on expense of Umar Akmal, I find this to be prejudiced. Umar Akmal deserves to be selected prior to Asad Shafiq. Having said that I still support Asad Shafiq inclusion in the side but on expense of someone else, most likely Khalid Latif and/or Shoaib Malik.

Last but not least Asad Shafiq is very humble and down to earth bloke. Also not to forget, he emulates Mohammad Yousuf so he automatically gets my vote ;).

11. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Asad Shafiq, chotta Don! The only player from Karachi who is very good. Really its unfair to drop him from the team now.. Hope he gets back in.

Always support him!

12. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    He is in ODI and Test squad/

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Still not in the T20 squad, for which he was dropped for unfair reasons...

I think after some years, Shafiq would also be treted like Fawad Alam

14. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    To be very honest he deserves the drop. I saw him in the domestic T20 matches just recently and he was woefully out of form. This is the match inwhich he scrapped a 50. Watching the game and reading the score cards are two different animals. In the last over 9 runs were needed and he missed 2 full tosses, which eventually struck him on his leg and edged 1 for a four behind the keeper. Had tanveer not bowled a noball, Asad's team would have lost.

This is the reason of Pakistan's plight also, we back our horse blindly and without recourse.

15. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    He is just another over rated player... Defensive as well and had hid share of brainfarts

16. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I agree with Cover Drive, I still think Umar Akmal is a better option but I'd play both tbh. Umar Akmal despite his many indiscretions still averages nearly 40 for the past season whereas Asad barely averages 30. Umar is usually very comfortable and rarely has totally bad days, he normally perishes out of his own foolishness and that too after contributing at least a cameo. He may need a kick up the rump occasionally but he's ahead of Shafiq, who I'd still want across formats

17. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    I am not implying that Umar 'should' be dropped but rather he should be given a competition by Asad in the team.
    Umar has been very irresponsible through out his career and if we need to make use of his talent we need to give him a competition in the team. Otherwise, if we keep him in the team based on his talent, we'll have another Afridi at hand.

18. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    I am looking forward to Asad Shafiq's performance today.
    If he comes up with a 50 he will ensure his slot in the team for the next series and also ensure Younis gets kicked out of the team.

Comparison with Umar Akmal? I think it can be done.

19. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    Why everyone starts to compare Umar Akmal. I mean ppl compare him Viv, Kohli, Rohit, KP and now Shafiq:facepalm Leave him alone. These comparisons and hype have messed up his growth as a batsman. He used to be good when he started but he is now turning out to be another slogger in the team. Hype him as much as you want, but wait until he establishes and makes his name as proper smart batsman who can bat according to the match situations.

20. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I like him. He's proved me wrong and should be a mainstay in the ODI/Test teams.

Find some other way to get UA into the test team.

21. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Umar Akmal is certainly an exciting talent as I have mentioned earlier but he doesn't help himself by playing rash shots and by playing irrationally.
    By irrationally, I mean the way he develops his innings. He starts either with blocking deliveries or going full attack like he went today. Then he loses his confidence or just completely goes into the shell like he went today in the latter part of his innings.

Last 18 balls of innings and only 8 runs out of them? Come on!

Asad Shafiq may not be as talented as Akmal and that is probably the reason he has gained my confidence.
    He has more brain and less talent than Akmal ensuring his shot selection, inning development and strike rotation is much better than Akmal who only relies on his talent.

Geoff Boycott, today, made some interesting comments regarding Akmal during 35-40th over. He pointed out the mistake which Umar was continuously doing. He wasn't taking singles and was relying heavily on boundaries and as soon as he blocked 2 balls, he would be under pressure and would try to blast the ball.
    Furthermore, Waqar added an interesting comment regarding Umar Akmal's tendency to try to cut/nudge/flick every ball rather than playing a conventional drives especially cover drives which reminded me that I've forgotten the Akmal who used to hit smashing cover drives when he came early on the scene.

22. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    Today he was just trying to hit on leg side and thats why couldn't score runs in last 5 overs. Malinga and Kula was smart enough to out fox him. It seems like he forgot his off side game all of sudden.

23. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I really really like Shafiq. Solid, smart and brisk player

24. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    He is a very good player but same mental issues.

Playing another good knock today..

25. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    The under rated performs

26. straightdrive1

straightdrive1 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 19, 2012
    Played really well during a really tough time.Hats off to him!

27. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    I would always prefer commitment and determination over talent. Talent might win you 2 matches out of ten but commitment and determination will win you the rest of the matches. Afridi hitting the fastest century in the world now thats talent but he cannot do that everyday right??

28. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Well done to the Young lad!

[​IMG]

29. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    Love him and always will favourite player in the side; My status says it all!

30. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Good knock today although I did not catch it. :(

Have always had the highest regards for this fella, and he's in for a long run in the side Inshallah.

31. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    have always been a fan of Asad, been crying out for him to get a consistent run at #3 in ODIs for ages now.

too bad he couldn't get a 100 today, deserved it.

32. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    I've always been a fan of Asad myself, have always wanted him to be part of the test set up as his technique is good and can more importantly spend time at the crease and not get flustered to hit the big shots every too often. Will like to see him rotate the strike more though as it's essential even in tests not to be too bogged down and just defend or let the balls going through.

Hopefully he can move ahead and look to score 100's and the need to convert them into big ones as the 50's need to be converted into the bigger ones and so on especially in test cricket.

33. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    He's been given a really long run in the Test side so I don't want to hear about the lack of oppertunities. There's a reason he's averaging in the mid 30s and it all comes down to his inconsistency. He has the talent but needs to put it together.

34. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I second Inswinger

He has been part of test team for almost a year now and still very inconsistent.

People ask questions about akmal inconsistency and mental strength but with asad they are quiet.. Asad has the same problem as Akmal whereas Akmal is much more talented than Asad.

35. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    Good knock today but he needs to start converting these 50s into 100s.
    btw Inswinger Passionate Pakistani if you could only select one guy from Asad/Umer in the test team, who would it be?

36. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    It's be Asad without any hesitation. But I don't understand why people have to out down one player to prop up another.

37. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    I wasn't trying to do that although there are some that do. I asked you guys the question cause you two seemed a bit undecided on Asad and was just wondering who would you prefer from Asad/Akmal.

38. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I still believe it should be akmal. I agree akmal is sometime very careless but he bring flair to this team. His test record isnt that bad and compare to asad (sub continent), he played most of his test matches in tough conditions against quality attacks.
    Having said that, asad doesnt deserve a drop on the basis of recent performances either.

Personally, i will atleast keep umer akmal in test squad if not playing eleven.

39. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    About 7-8 months back I thought Shafiq was only suited to one-day cricket but a series of critical knocks in Tests have proven me wrong, especially since the England series

40. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I don't know why people categorize Shafiq with blockers/stodgers like Azhar or Misbah either...he's a pretty fluent, busy batsman, and he has a LOT of shots--cuts, flicks off the pad, on-drive and pull, he has the lot MashaAllah