Atherton: Players tell me PSL games mean more than IPL games

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jun 19, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    During the game today, Michael Atherton was talking about the emergence of players like Fakhar, Hassan and Shadab and he talked about how the PSL (he kept calling it PCL) was responsible.

He said that he hears from players who play in these T20 tournaments that the quality of cricket in the PSL and the importance of each game means more than in the IPL.

He said the reason they give is that because of the short nature of the tournament, every game means something. There's not really any rubber games so each team has to be on the ball for each game. Whereas with IPL players get fatigued with the number of games and the lack of importance for many of them.

It's a good point and one that I agree with. It's why I dont think the PSL should expand beyond 8 teams (eventually) and why I think they should keep the short and intense nature of it.

I also think they should have two PSL's a year, roughly 6 months apart. This would allow different nations players to participate depending on which teams calendar is free and it will provide more quality cricket to the national players and upcoming prospects.

2. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Good point. And the results have shown.

IPL is a snooze-fest. Unneccesarily long.

3. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Not sure if I agree with 2 PSLs a year, the brand is still building and any rash decisions that can affect the quality of play can be detrimental. 6th team is an experimental decision too, lets take it a bit slow and keep people wanting more.

4. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    I would stick to once a year and the shorter format. We've seen from PSL that bowling is a bigger factor than in IPL.

5. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Tracer Bullet

Feb 18, 2014
  6. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    IPL generates more revenue and gives more money to the players but obviously, the shorter format would mean more challenging games and high tension leading to a better game. The players, would always prefer the bigger cheque though since they aren't playing for their countries.

7. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    PSL gives you a even battle between bat and ball. IPL is a major league which was very exciting first few seasons but now its just a batsman friendly tournament and very boring. Nearly every PSL game is a thriller. Love the Natwest T20 Blast too.

8. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Its a massive task for PCB to arrange 1 season every year... asking for 2 will give Najam Sethi a heart attack. Anyway, even if its possible, it'll take away the charm of winning the season and be champion for whole one year.

Its just the quality of opponents that makes an intriguing duel between bat and ball on the pitch.

I hope the intensity doesn't go down with inclusion of 6th team and dispersion of quality players next season.