Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq, did we back the wrong horses?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, May 17, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    PCB and Misbah has invested into these two in spite of all their limitations, specially Azhar. Now Misbah and Younis are gone for good and these two supposed to be the leader of young battling line up.

Since the departure of both seniors, Azhar and Asad's performances aren't great. Former is not only very, very limited player, but also always in survival mode, and is not able to impose himself at the crease even after facing a thousand deliveries. An ordinary but gutsy player, who will not look great in a very good batting unit.

Latter's biggest issue is consistency, also he's vulnerable against new ball, specially when its moving (usually after 80 overs). Another observation is that, he's not good when playing with the tail, wherein he unnecessarily exposes the fragile tail.

If a take a peek at their averages, then Azhar's is ok, but Asad's is even below 40, which is below par and not acceptable, considering he has played primarily in the UAE and you just to have look at Azhar, who bats as an opener or one down, but is still managing an average in the high 40's. I know Asad likes to bat at no.4 and he should, because he's a senior now, but he's far too inconsistent a player to build your batting around.

That said, I am not sure if all this investment we did on these two over the years was a wise idea. Somebody will say, then who should we've invested in then? because Umar Akmal was a gone case. The other two names come in my mind are Fawad Alam and Umar Amin (I might be missing some others).

But it all boils down to the fact, did we back the wrong horses, will these two be able soak pressure of being senior players or no?

What's your opinion?

2. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Yaar umar amin aur faisal lqbal ka naam nahi liya karo aisa lagta hai cricket ke nawaz sharif aur zardari hein.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I think Azhar and Asad are good investments but they should also back fawad alam and harris sohail, much better than former these lefties.

4. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, this is my point. Why Fawad and even Harry wasn't picked?

5. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Shafiq is the wrong horse.

6. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    As if we had many choices to back the right batters.

7. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    OP already addressed what you said.

Atleast a full time batsman from Domestic top performer should be give few chances ahead of leggi converted batsman.

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    he was a leggie during under 19 but he is one of the top batsman of the world right now and he knows how to play in the top order. his technique is very methodical and meticulous but he knows how to grind out when going is tough and he will get going when Pakistan will be in a desperate situation!!

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I strongly disagree. I will reiterate what I said in another thread. Azhar's purple path of 2016-2017 purple patch is over. He is called the 'best and senior batsman' in the side, which bring pressure of leading the batting unit. But to be honest, he was never that good to lead our batting unit and will never. He is a very good supporting batsman, but he is too limited to be the flagship batsman in the team.

The opposition does not view him as a threat, and he lacks the ability to take the game away from them. He is overrated by Pakistani fans because he is the only quality batsman in the Test team at this point. The only difference between him and the other batsmen is that he is able to last for 100 deliveries more. I said it before in another thread, and will repeat it again. Its very hard for me to say since when this guy is playing unless I see the scoreboard. Because he bats the same, doesn't matter if he's batting at 2/20/120/200 or more.

He is always in survival mode, and is not able to impose himself at the crease even after facing a thousand deliveries. An ordinary but a very gutsy player, who will not look great in a very good batting unit.

10. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    they were both only ever b+ players, which if everyone else is c-graded, theres no choice. but the issue as far as I can see is that the selectors who have been singularly incompetent in the past twenty years, unqualified and given the job because the PCB chairman most times was just as clueless, didnt allow the batsmen doing best in FC cricket to play under this idea that 'we have invested so much already, might as well continue'.

for the last few years Haris (prior to injury), alam, salahuddin are at least three players that deserved being given an extended run, but instead they and others are consistently picked on one format and played in another, and then when lo and behold they fail, they are dropped from their preferred format.

now, they are doing to salahuddin what they did to Harris and fawad, fawad is probably in his decline, and haris is still not fully back from his career threatening injury - so I cant really see how we do not deteriorate further into test oblivion with the management we have in place which are so terribly poor.

nothing will change in my opinion.

11. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Azhar is not a bad investment at all. Every test team in the World needs such a batsman in their test lineups who can hold one end and let others play around him. Asad on the other hand is total loss.

12. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    They are mistreating Harris Sohail too by making him bat at 3. No. 4 is his comfort zone. No. 3 makes him uneasy just a bit which causes his downfall.

13. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    I dont generally agree with these excuses of batting position that much - in this case, perhaps you are right though.

the top three are essentially openers, and the next three are middle order - it doesnt really matter where in the opening slot you are, or where in the middle order you are if you are an opener or a middle order bat in my opinion.

14. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    They are classical Pakistani batsman.

Azhar is impactless whilst Asad has never been a top batsman the thing I hope is that the younger guys stay as far away from both of them.

15. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Very post, which reminded me the pointed I wanted to highlight in OP.

Beside many factors why we don't perform to our potential, incorrect selection is one of the biggest.

Our genius keep on select wrong players for wrong format. And prime examples is Selfie.

The guy is marginally better than Azhar in limited overs, but to this date, his name come up for LOI, and he is our star in T20. However, we all know that he doesn't belong to limited over cricket and should be restricted to TEST only.

16. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Steve Smith is also a Leggie converted batsman. What’s the point ?

17. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Jeez, think for a minute before you post such cringeworthy comment.

18. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    nice trolling OP. Azhar and bad investment, seriously ?

and Shafiq is a very good investment, remember he himself has helped Pakistan win a lot of Tests.

England tour is going to be a huge eye opener for most of our fans

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Never supported these two investments. I dont know why didnt they look at their FC stats, before investing in these two for the long term

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  20. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I think Haris Sohail, post injury, isn’t the same. He seems to have regressed, batting wise. Prior to his injury, he was really classy. Had he started his Test career prior to his injury, could have been our best Test batsman by now, with an average of above 50.

21. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Dude, I remember when he started his FC career, at one time he was averaging above 50, even during his leg spin role days, but after that his averaged fell to 45 or something. It means he had the potential of becoming a world class batsman.

22. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    No he has a point.

23. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Azhar has been a solid player for us. Shafiq has been disappointing in general except for a few innings

24. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    His debut game against Pakistan he batted at number 9 back in 2010 and was playing as full time leggie.

25. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I know that, and his FC average at that time was 50 or so, if I may remember correctly.

26. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Ok that may be true. My response was to Ops taunt about "leggi converted batsman" and Steven Smith is a classic example of it. He was selected as a full time leg spin bowler to the Australian team and later converted into their number 1 batsman so the point is that its unfair to label someone as leggie converted batsman because in all likely hood if one has talent and can perform then it doesn't matter how you started with.

27. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Yup.

28. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Are you telling me that Smith and Azhar have the same ceiling?

29. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And how his 4th innings stats look like?

30. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Smith win games for his team single handedly, he's a player of both Test & limited overs game. The guy is considered one the great player along with Kholi and Root, he possess almost all the shots in his armory, is the same true for Azhar?

31. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Oh bhai no one is comparing Smith and Azhar. We just don't agree with your taunt about "leggie converted batsman"

32. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    There is nothing wrong with the statement. It seem like the truth has touched many nerves.

33. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Didn't touch anyones nerves. Respectfully we just don't agree with it and have provided a valid reason behind this disagreement.

34. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    There is no cure of delusion.

35. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    They are proper Test cricketers. Have more memorable performances in test cricket compared to any of our other current test players. People hyped up Babar and Imam Ul Haq after the showing against Ireland but will be the same ones that turn on both of these for their stellar centuries in tough conditions against (no disrespect to my country of nationality Ireland) Australia, England and South Africa.

I would rather take a one legged Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq ahead of Babar Azam and Bhanja V2

36. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Azhar is crap he only wants to shake the oppositions hand does the twat.

I’ve never seen anyone walk up to our centurion and appreciate there effort, some don’t even clap so why do you have to congratulate them if they don’t congratulate you?

37. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Babar is a lambhi race ka ghoda,

I would take one Babar over all of Haris, Azhar, Shafiq, Imam and Sarfraz combined.

Babar to make two centuries at Headingley.

38. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    jee acha

39. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I hope Azhar gets 4 ducks then maybe you get out of this delusion of yours.

who the F was he to oppose Amir’s comeback?

Pakistan Cricket Team Uska Baap ka hai?

40. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Sorry you are losing it. Why would you hope for a Pakistani cricketer to fail. Why so much of hate?