Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq, did we back the wrong horses?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, May 17, 2018.

1. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Used to support him, but he was the catalyst for that collapse yesterday.

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    He is worse then Abbas with bat these days.

3. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Azhar Ali showing time and time again that he is the best Test batsman in Pakistan

Anyone that does not see this should stick to T20 cricket and Mickey Mouse leagues

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    He batted well, unfair really, this pitch had too much bounce in it, add that to Steyn and Rabada and Olivier then it’s not easy, Looked good, unfortunately a lack of a more convincing back foot game hurts him.

5. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Give Asad Shafiq and Azhar Ali to Imran Khan's captaincy and see how they deliver.

Yes, everyone is responsible for their performance, and these two are not kids who need pep talk, and spoon feeding; however, every batsman goes through bad patches - and ONE of the remedy is the CAPTAIN'S ability to breathe life into an under-confident player. Dhoni has done it quite a few times as well.

And together with many other factors, we also lack that captain who has any ability to inspire his team members.

6. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Shafiq is so trash, I'm beginning to think Shehzad would've been better lol

7. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    That waft outside off stump away from his body was so poor and irresponsible, especially having just survived Lbw the previous ball.

You Expect that from a newbie not a veteran.

8. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    shehzad had a really good test record before he got hit in the head, but regarding your point, theres pbly 5 or 10 domestic batsmen who would have been a better investment than shafiq.

i know this is tantamount to the cricketing equivalent of blasphemy but even umar akmal at 6 would have won pak more games than shafiq.

9. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    With all his faults I have no doubt that Umar is far far better batsman than this Feeqa.

10. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Whole nation cursed them, lanati players, you know why they messed up because they were thinking ‘oh we can’t beat SA’ and mazaak mazaak meh Pak was about to win the Test and these three laloos had a defeated mindset which is why they did jack.

Throughout the match they were clearly trying to be competitive, lanat on these type of players.

Imran Khan would have broken the bat on them had they been playing under him.

11. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    There ain’t ten man?

Maybe you can say 8, Amin, Shehzad, Maqsood?, Akmal, Fawad, Usman, Saad and Saud past that and you get the Ifti chacha or guys who average 30.

Nabi Gul, Imran Rafiq, Kamran Ghulam, Omair Yousaf have small sample size whilst Rizwan is a keeper, no one else averages 40 apart from Imran Farhat??? LOL.

I reckon Usman Salahuddin is the best of the lot.

12. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    The newbies were batting like this is UAE, after Imam early jitters he didn’t look like getting out and how good was Shan? Then Babar destroyed Steyn who has tortured Hafeez and Shafiq Papa for years gone by.

Lanat iss jese seniors par.

13. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    main ones were fawad, akmal, saad, saud, amin, usman but we know how pak domestic chews up and destroys players, guys like naved yasin, naeemuddin had good domestic performances but were never picked, then their performances drifted out. even someone like hasan raza was still performing 7 or 8 years ago but never got a chance.

14. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I agree with @ElRaja and i have always maintained that UAkmal is a better number 6 test batsman than Asad.

After over 60 tests, most of which Asad played in UAE, he is averaging almost same as the guy who he replaced in first place.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    A lesson for our illiterate selectors that never ever invest in batsmen , in Test cricket, who average 40 or below in FC cricket.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

16. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Welcome back and Happy New year

17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Thank you

Happy new year , PATSY

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

18. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I really want ANYBODY to replace him in 2nd test, because whoever will play can't do worse than him.

19. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    another pretty fifty and gone... the pattern continues

20. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
  21. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
  22. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Kaptaan’s innings that was Mashallah

23. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    This dude might be worth a try.

24. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    So seems like Asad is new Hafeez of Pakistan cricket, play 1 good innings after 10 flop shows to keep his place.

Azhar will be booted out soon I reckon.

25. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    id be surprised if either of them are going anywhere.

theres no one else in the squad except t20 players. and of course their backers will say that 'SA was always going to be difficult. A&A did well in australia'.

the coach and board have not developed any batsmen other than azhar and asad over the past few years. even the others most closely in contention - Usman and saad were even dropped from the squad.

its total bs.

26. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indeed, both have or will do enough to keep their slot save. Story for Pakistan cricket, before it was Hafeez who was doing this and now we have these two - Mashallah, what a progress.

27. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Hafeez ki jaan choro.

Progress is you fans can’t accept the mediocre cricketers in domestics have half a chance of doing alright in Intls you keep saying names, every countries say names but they end up as flops, I don’t want you to be disheartened by this.

28. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Na munna na, Hackeez ki jaan tu itni asai nahi nahi chota gi, after holding spot of deserving players for years. I will bring it up whenever I can embarrass him and it will touch your never, so be ready for it.

And what mediocre cricketers you're whining about? I have never, ever supported any mediocre player like you, who gets insecure the moment "Hafeez" comes in an argument.

29. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Lol,

Pata lag jay ga kitne ‘deserving’ player ki jaga maar raha tah Hafeez.

30. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I dont know how long PCB will tolerate these two going forward, specially Azhar who has been total dud from past many series. And Asad has been playing 1/2 innings just to confirm his next series.

How any team in the world can win then your two most senior players are total passengers after years on investment? Whats the point of seniority then if it cant help the team and juniors. If we have to lose than better drop them and bring in top domestic performers.

31. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I don't think your anger or frustration is pointing into the right direction.

Our batting has ALWAYS been weak.
    And our bowling has ALWAYS been our trump card.

Before the Australian series even began, all of us, have a conscious or unconscious idea that the batting WILL fail. We also knew that we will perhaps lose the series.

So perhaps no real big surprises there.

What really hurt us was our unexpected and very disappointing BOWLING in Australia. And Ricky Ponting confirmed it.
    We had a langra loola third class galli mohalla type T20 style bowlers.
    None actually knew how to bowl in test cricket.
    While Abbas was broken and shattered like a glass being banged on hard concrete surface. (Thank you Waqar that this happened under your watch).

They have absolutely no idea that the test batsman needs to be set up and mind games are required to be played to get his wicket - yet, they bowled as if it was a T20 game because that's all what they know.

The problem in batting, if you wanna talk about it, is SIFARISH and LACK of guidance and coaching.
    We have Shan Masood and Imam who are parchi.
    We have Iftikhar who is also a Misbah's personal parchi.
    Do they belong to TEST cricket? NO SIR!

And then you have Haris (totally unfit and very limited batsman), Azhar and Asad.
    All three WERE the best our broken ass super corrupt domestic cricket has produced. None of them WERE a parchi. They made it to the national side based on merit selection.
    Notice the term "WERE" I am using with them.

Now, they are in their 30's, and many international test batsmen actually retire after mid thirties. I don't think these 3 should be played for a lot longer. May be another year or two, which should give you time to groom a couple of good youngsters (Sorry, Fawad Alam is also not a future prospect in my opinion - he has passed it).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  32. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Actually to be honest, I wasnt expecting anything from our bowlers in the first place. Yasir has been proven garbage outside of Asia and Abbas was not fit enough. You cant win in AUS with rookies.

I know our batting has been crap no matter where they play but my frustration goes to next level whenever I see faces of Azhar and Asad, because they are not even 40% of what they were groomed for - to fill Younis and Misbah's gap. Yes, even Younis and Misbah werent great in AUS but these have been nothing but embarrassment regardless of condition and country.

Azhar is already 34 (unofficially might be more) and papa is 33 (again, unofficially might be more). Latter can play for another 2/3 years but Azhar should hang his boots now, because there is noway he can go back to his peak. He has already passed his peak and those who are hoping that its a temporary dip in his form are wrong. He has passed his best before date, because after your mid 30's in professional sports, decline in performance is steep and there is no coming back from it. Thats why usually players retire from Intl cricket when they reach their mid 30's. I said it before and will reiterate is again. Misbah set a very, very bad example by playing till so late and introduced this notion that "you can play as long as you are fit". This is utter hogwash, because simply you cant. And its because of Misbah's notion, goons like Kamran Akmal and Hackfeez are not ready to retire from cricket and yet want to make a return to national team. Pakistan cricket wouldnt improve until and unless we put age limitation on it.

33. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    What we need to understand is that fixing the problem from the grass root level is almost an impossible task in Pakistan. I have played first class cricket, Quade-e-Azam trophy and represented All Pakistan college 11 vs All Sri Lanka college eleven as international ICC officiated match. This was a good 25 years ago.
    And I personally know that the structure and environment in the domestic cricket is really horrible. I can write a book on those issues and all the corruption that's prevalent in domestic cricket.

We just don't produce good quality cricketers in good numbers.

So then the question is, from the available quick fixes, which is the best quick fix to get the best out of available work horses?

And in my opinion, it starts with a great captain.
    And since we don't that one either then it's the team management. It's such a big mess in the management where politics and corruption and incompetence is rampant.

We have two choices here, either change the management and bring honest and qualified people or fix it on the gross root level.

As Rashif Lateef rightly said today, "Qasoor khelnay waalon na ka hai, Qasoor khilaaney waalon ka hai".

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  34. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    The biggest wrong horse we supported, IMO, was Hafeez.
    And we gave too much importance and had too high of hopes from Azhar Ali.

35. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Really disappointing. Nothing more can be said of these two although imho I don't know who can replace them and immediately score runs, obviously Fawad makes this team but he should come in for Iftikhar and if you look at domestic then Haris Sohail is among the better options. Saad Ali, Saud Shakeel sheen has gone. Very average players they have proved to be. Usman Salahuddin in Asia a big yes but he's 29.