Azhar Ali is worthy of an ODI spot

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Donal Cozzie, Sep 23, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    Guy averages 40 with a SR of 80 since his comeback nearly 2 years ago, with series against decent sides like Bangladesh,England (twice), NZ and Sri Lanka. Only the series vs Zimbabwe could be classed as minnow bashing but even then he was captain in Pakistans home return so that likely carried tonnes of pressure.

IMO people let their criticism of his captaincy cloud their judgement. As far as Pakistani openers go 40 at an 80 SR is quite decent to me and I feel he definitely makes your ODI sides based off of merit, even without the captaincy.

People laughed him off when he was announced but he's actually been solid without being extraordinary either and there are far worse batsmen in the team than him.

Definitely think he'll prove people wrong and remain in Pakistans team for another while yet.

2. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    No, he isn't. He failed against NZ and England. The runs he scored against England in the recent series were detrimental not helpful to the team.

Get out of here with that 40 at 80. Those stats will continue to decline.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    You need to understand that 80 is his final sttike rate not during inning..he normally bats in 70s or even less and then few hits after half century to make it around 80.

This is why stats never tell you the exact story.

4. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    In the first and 4th ODI's vs England he made 82 and 80.

4th ODI.

80 came at a 77 SR. Nobody else in the top 7 bar Sharjeel who made 16 had a SR above 60. None of them made more than 24 runs.

24(44)
    16(12)
    80(104)
    12(31)
    12(24)
    6(14)
    13(21)

Even going through the commentary for that knock, he admittedly had a slow start, around 14 off 28 or so, yet he bagan to accelerate a bit and eventually reached 43(55) and he basically stayed at a similar SR for the rest of his innings.

Was it a perfect innings? No, he started slowly, but then again so did everyone around him, he at least stuck in and made some runs and got his SR to something approaching respectable in this day and age.

1st ODI

82(110) at 75.

Again not the fastest knock but hardly match losing either, teams nowadays can go at 75SR's at the beginning because it sets them up for huge benefits later on in the innings if they have the batsman who can make platforms count. Azhar got out at 180-4 with 84 deliveries left, the best sides can easily turn that into 300 plus and a competitive score, yet you only made 260-6, aint Azhars fault the last 84 balls made 80 runs.

Again his opening partners didnt stay around long and contributed nothing. SR's of the lower order were better this time (lots of 80-90 innings) yet Azhar still scored almost double everyone else.

I'm not saying Azhar is a great ODI opener, he's not, but he's a solid player in his own right and for Pakistan he does a decent job, scores at an OK rate and sets a platform up when he does well. It aint his fault your ODI side is carrying a lot of passengers yet for some reason he gets all the blame for these low scores.

Even the one ODI Pakistan won, 33 off 37 is a solid enough start to a 307 chase IMO. Not a failure.

In short, guy gets all the blame when he is far from the main culrpit behind your batting woes.

Series average was 41.6 btw, hardly a failure.

5. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Admittedly he struggles with SR in the powerplay, but every guy in your team does bar Sharjeel it seems, Azhar at least gets it up to something half decent by the time he gets out.

6. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    You didn't need to go in depth. I watched the damn innings' and was swearing at him the whole time.

It is a failure when your strike rate is shit. We're trying to improve our rankings here, not freaking helping out players who barely make the cut.

If your strike isn't consistently 85+ throughout the innings then you can gtfo.

7. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    In that case 3/4 your team need to be replaced

8. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Name the players.

9. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Just watching him bat and you can tell he's not a modern ODI type of player. His style is very outdated. Overall SR is 75.

He should concentrate on tests as he's good there and can have a very good test career.

10. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    That's exactly was Misbah used to do.

Block block till 50 then hit 2 sixes and out.

11. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    If Aslam continues on this form he should be dropped, as he's new he should be given another series or two. Cuirrently averages 20 at 66

Hafeez.

Malik strikes me as someone who's past his best.

Sharjeel I like but feasting on our garbage bowlers may have made him look better than he really is, made a lot of 12(10) kinda scores vs England which are useless, with the 3rd ODI being an exception. Scored barely 100 runs in the series. Take out his 150 and his overall record is pretty bad. That said I do think he'll come good.

Point is, Azhar outperformed everyone bar Sarfaraz, yet gets slapped with all the blame. I'd take someone who scores 42 at 80 with a slowish start over someone who scores 12(10) or 13 (20). Sharjeel looks aggressive yet scores nothing and nobody points the finger at him.

12. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Agreed on everyone but Sharjeel.

13. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    PS I'm not saying Sharkeel should be dropped, just that he deserves criticism. He will come good at some point but he cant be left blameless.

14. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    I'm not against criticism.

15. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Exactly, stats never tell you the full story. It is the impact of an innings on the outcome of match. A cameo can be more decisive than a 50 something innings with an 80-ish strike rate.

It is the impact that makes Richards bigger than Tendulkar as a batsman or Imran better than Misbah as a captain.

16. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Azhar doesn't hurt the team as a batsman tbh. He harms the team as a captain.

17. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    Azhar fails, yet doesn't waste many balls and we put up good totals in the first two matches.

18. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    You're facing the WI. Come on even if he hit 1(40) youd still make those scores.

19. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Adrak making excuses.

20. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    So he should be able to score vs them.

21. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Azhar deserves his place in my opinion. Name me one replacement of Azhar!!

22. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Umar Akmal.

23. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Shahid Afridi.

24. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    Khalid Latif

25. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Brick

26. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    no, id rather try umar akmal, azhars record minus bang and zim is pretty poor.

27. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Was and will be never suited for LOI format. Should only stick to Test.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

28. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Aug 31, 2011
    One of the only few solid bats in Pakistan but everybody has some sort of agenda. I want Fakhar Zaman in the team but not at the expense of Azhar Ali or Sharjeel Khan.

29. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Umar Akmal has been tried, tested and resulted in failures in ODIs for a while now. There is no point in going back to him and getting the same result.

30. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Then Malik ?

31. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Top scorer today, wasn't helped by his opening partners sucking up deliveries and increasing the pressure on him. Faltered a bit at the end of his innings but at least tried hard and had for most of his knock a decent SR around or above 90.

Once again I reiterate, Azhar Ali is IMO definitely good enough to open for Pakistan in ODI's!! Always cops way more flak than deserved

• Like Like x 3
    • Abusive Abusive x 1
    • List
  32. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
    I would've disagreed if Sharjeel was available, but since he isn't, I'll agree.

Pair him up with someone more aggressive though. I'd go for Sahibzada Farhan

33. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Better out of the two openers definitely.

However if Pakistan are serious about competing with others then I'd pick other players.

Try someone like Fakhar and Sarfraz as openers. Anyone who can play at 90+ will do.
    First requirement in limited overs cricket should be the ability to play fast

34. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    He's a limited batsman in ODIs. If he improves on his singles. He'll do a good job provided there's a guy who can play aggressively

35. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    He's better than Ahmed Shehzad, that's for sure..

We missed Sharjeel dearly.

36. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    If he was partnered with an aggressive partner I reckon he could form an excellent opening partnership but with Shehzad it'll always be a disaster as you'd have Azhar who is average by modern standards partnered with someone who is miles below average so it will never work.

37. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
    Get in Sahibzada already. I don't think there's any other proper aggressive option in the country which is shocking.

38. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    It doesnt matter how good he plays. He's a selfish player and plays for himself.

39. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    He's a selfish player who cannot rotate the sr.

All countries are progressing with opening batsmen who will give them a fast 100 to set up the game whereas we have these bakwaas openers in Shehzad and Azhar who play at sr's of 70.

Even Umar Akmal is better than these 2 useless selfish players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
    How is Azhar selfish ? He's just limited.