Azhar Ali wants batting boost after giving up captaincy

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Feb 11, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    DUBAI: Azhar Ali said on Friday he was desperate to resurrect his fortunes with the bat ahead of the 2019 World Cup after giving up the Pakistan one-day captaincy to be replaced by Sarfraz Ahmed.

The 31-year-old was already facing calls for his head following Pakistan’s dismal 4-1 series loss in Australia last month but on Thursday he offered his resignation from the high-pressure job to Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Shaharyar Khan.

“I want to focus more on batting,” Ali told AFP. “That’s why I also left the Test vice-captaincy as this is the right time to further improve my batting.”

Ali managed just 37 runs in the three one-day internationals he played in Australia while he missed two matches through injury.

“I am honoured to have led Pakistan. I tried my best but results did not come,” added Azhar, who was surprisingly appointed after Misbah-ul-Haq quit ODIs following Pakistan’s quarter-final exit at the 2015 World Cup.

He was not even part of the one-day team for 15 months before being made captain. His tenure was also marred by being blanked 3-0 for the first time by neighbours Bangladesh. Overall, he skippered Pakistan in 31 matches, losing 18 and winning 12 with one no result.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/185514-Azhar-wants-batting-boost-after-giving-up-captaincy#

2. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I suggest going back to domestic to develop a power game instead of slogging like a tailender to resurrect his ODI career. I do respect his decision of leaving captaincy. I think he is more of a gentlemen than Misbah at the moment. However I see no place for him to in the ODi squad unless we wanna target 255 every game. Which is a losing score in this day and age.

So Azhar do you wanna prove you are a ODi player? Than prove it in domestic. By developing actual good cricketing shots. Instead of blind heaves over the top.

3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    If I was him, I would smash right from ball one and forget about singles or twos.

4. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    You cant just get a boost. Not a fantasy game. Jeex

5. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    We have to qualify for the 2019 WC first

6. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I like Azhar but I think this was more of a case of him jumping before he was pushed out of the captaincy.

7. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  8. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Captaincy was the only thing keeping him safe in the side. He wont need a boost as he will inevitably be dropped soon.

9. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    With Sharjeel likely to be out, Azhar is still better than the alternatives like Shehzad, Zaman and Sami so hopefully he atleast gets the WI series to show some form.

10. aliasad1998

aliasad1998 Youngsta Beauty

Dec 7, 2016
    Not good enough for ODIs

11. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Azhar and Asad to open for us in the future.