Babar Azam: If I can be No.1 in the world without power hitting, but when I need to...

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Apr 25, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Haris Sohail, the Pakistan middle-order batsman, said it was important for his team to focus on getting used to conditions during the five one-day internationals in England before the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 gets under way.

Of the overseas teams, Pakistan are at the greatest advantage in terms of adapting to conditions for the World Cup as they will be facing hosts England, the No.1 team on the MRF Tyres ICC Men's ODI Team Rankings, in an ODI series days before the World Cup begins on 30 May.

Counting the sole Twenty20 International and the World Cup warm-up matches to follow, Pakistan will end up playing close to 10 matches before the World Cup starts, and want to make it count.

"The World Cup is still a little while away," said Sohail. "Before that, we have a very important series against England. England is a quality side, the No.1 team. If we win that series, we'll get a great deal of help in getting used to those conditions. We still have about 10 matches to go before the World Cup if you count all the practice matches. So we're hopeful of getting acclimatised well and producing good results at the World Cup."

On a personal note, Sohail is enjoying great form and will hope to take that into the showpiece event. He goes into the England series on the back of two centuries against Australia in UAE.

"Since the Australia series, my confidence and form is in a good place," Haris said. "Over the past few days, I wasn't feeling too great, but a match situation is different, and the [practice] match we played today, the ball felt great on the bat."

Despite Haris Sohail scoring 291 runs at 72.75 in that series against Australia, Pakistan conceded each of the five ODIs. Some felt that part of the reason for the repeated failures was the inability of batsmen to score quickly enough. There have been concerns that the team are falling behind in that area, but Sohail downplayed those doubts.

"Cricket is a different game nowadays," Haris said. "Now, when your No.3 or 4 plays a big innings or gets a hundred, batsmen play around him. In ODI cricket, a total above 300 is now par. Not in the UAE, where pitches are slower and you need to take more time. But definitely that applies in countries like England. So over there, you'll see us play more aggressively."

Babar Azam, Pakistan's middle-order star, is known for his more classically styled shots along the ground, but he too feels he is equipped to go big when the situation demands that of him.

"If I can be No.1 in the world [on the MRF Tyres ICC T20I Rankings for batting] without power hitting, then I don't need power hitting," he said. "But when I need to, I utilise it well. I don't just play along the ground. I practice hitting the ball big and when needed, I use it. My role is to play out the full overs. My individual role is to take the innings as deep as I can and perform in a way that benefits the team most of all."

Pakistan's series against England will start with a one-off T2OI in Cardiff on 5 May and the all-important ODI series will begin on 8 May.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1194065

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I really dont understand this mindset.

Yes, your role is to play 50 overs, but it doesnt hurt to charge on part-time bowlers, push scoring rate more and raise momentum. This is all pivotal, because we dont have luxury of power hitters.

Harris strike issue is worse, I have seen him struggling to rotate the strike against AUS in UAE. Yes, his avg is good but what about the strike rate, which is in 80's?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    What kind of nonsensical mindset ? Im hoping that his comments are taken out of context because he is a talented young man and destined for bigger things.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Always room for improvement Azam.

5. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    No need for this. I'd prefer him to up his game against best teams, he's only guarantee hundreds against weaker teams and only half decent knocks against better teams.

He can't be arrogant.

As for hitting, he has to try to play quicker without hitting, the media is giving him wrong advice, he isn't a big lad and so if he hits the risk of him getting out is quite high although yes towards last ten overs if he's still in then surely he should hit.

6. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    Why are we so obsessed with this so called "power hitting"? Azam is doing fine and no reason to change and start playing mindless shots, we do not need more of Umar Akmal.

7. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Its not the about obsession of power hitting, its about the approach and mindset.

Why wouldn't you hit a bad ball for 6 and wouldn't only settled down for 3/4?

Why wouldn't you target part-time bowlers, charge them and make as many runs as you can?

This mindset is the difference in between Bobby and other top players it seems.

8. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    to be honest i am quite glad someone in pakistan team is thinking about really playing out 50 overs. i dont actually rate babar too highly but if he is consistently performing with an average run rate but holding the wicket i dont think that is such a bad idea. then we need players to build the innings around him.

am i too old school.

9. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Looks like he's taken up a faster approach however I'd still advice Babar to prefer 80-100 against big teams, his power hitting should be reserved for Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies and Afghanistan. I'd take 90 off 105 or 100 of 110 against the better teams.

10. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Bumped !!!

You are delusional Bobby if you think you dont need power hitting.