Babar Azam on his comparison with Virat Kohli ahead of PSL.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Feb 11, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    "People compare me with Kohli but I think he is a very big player, I don't think I am anywhere close to him, I have just started out and he's achieved a lot. I still have to do that, if my performances are up to that level then you can compare but right now there is no comparison"

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    What I like about Bobby is that, he doesnt hype himself, like his fans do all the time.

If he will accomplish even half of what Kohli will by end of his carriers, then should be proud on himself. However, for now his intend should be to surpass the likes of Younis, Miandad, Inzamam and MoYo.

The most vital aspect which he should never lose, is the hunger to make runs.

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Sensible mature comments. Focus on your game. You’re young. Focus on being you.

Make runs, make lots of runs.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Babar will be the best batsman Pakistan have produced since Saeed Anwar. I think he'll easily surpass the likes of Younis and MoYo. He'll beat Inzi if he can perform against all nations.

I don't think there is any serious comparison of Babar to Virat. The thing about Virat is he can hit big at any time, Babar from what I've seen has to work himself up and even then he doesn't hit big as easily as Virat.

Virat also has a lot more self confidence and his reputation often cows bowling teams even if he's not in the best form himself. I doubt Babar will surpass Virat but hopefully he will be in the conversation and that's quite an achievement in itself.

5. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    That is quite a prediction. He has the potential for sure, but to say he’ll surpass the Ys “easily” and possibly Inzi - very bold prediction.

If he gets near any of them then it’s very good for pak cricket. If he surpasses them, then even better.

Even if he excels over the next decade, I can’t see it purely because one player rarely reaches that level without support from batsmen around him.

Inzi and the Ys had each other for most of their careers. Inzi obviously had Saeed and Salim Malik before that.

We have no one else in our lineup to provide that support

6. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Younis was average (at best) in ODIs, MoYo was good all round but mainly scored high in drawn Tests.

If Babar can improve his test batting close to the level of his limited overs batting then he'll be a better all round cricketer than those two.

Inzi, as you yourself have pointed out many times, often failed in big match/tournament situations after his initial success in the early to mid 90s.

There's only really Miandad and Anwar who stand out amongst Pakistani batsmen for all round performance in all (available) formats and against all opposition.

7. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    And what did Miandad do against WI? If I'm not wrong Anwar wasn't as good against SA.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Miandad had his lowest average against the Windes but even then it was around 30 which wasn't terrible in an era where most batsmen were averaging 40 over their career. Plus Miandad averaged nearly 60 against Windies in the West Indies in the series where Pakistan drew against them when nobody esle was even getting close. Miandad was a huge factor in that series.

Anwar has a poor record against South Africa and the West Indies too.

I think the main difference is if you break down winning percentages you will probably find Anwar and Miandad as bigger contributors than the Y's and probably Inzi too. Bearing in mind Inzi has a beastly winning percentage.

9. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    It was weaker West Indies attack no less. He never faced Holding throughout his career and in 87’ they were missing few bowlers and Ambrose and Walsh were rookies. Babar is already better than Miandad in ODIs however in Tests he won’t get close I feel. Saeed Anwar was opener so allow him, for the sake of it Saeed was better than Babar due to match winning ability.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Too early to say for sure with Babar, his career has had a pretty good start especially in limited overs.

Saeed had a very slow start to his international career. Imran Khan wouldn't even take him to the 1992 World Cup as he didn't rate him. Miandad had a good start and is probably our best ever bat, more for his fighting ability and hating to give up his wicket which our current and recent batsmen could really learn from.

11. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    He’s already a better odi batsman than Younis. But how much weighting do we give that? If he ends up a legend of ODI cricket but a mid range test batsman, does that make him greater than Younis? I give test matches a lot more weighting primarily because the non ICC tournament LOIs are completely forgotten. And he didn’t have a very good ICC tournie either. Let’s hope the WC is better.

Bit unfair on yousuf. You’re basing a lot of those drawn matches opinion based on what happened in 2006, bit we’re forgetting that he had many memorable innings in winning matches. The 223 against England at Lahore was a winning match as was a 4th innings chase in New Zealand. These are things that stick out to me.

Yup I stand by my opinions on Inzi, but he did do great things initially and one innings I had to give him was that 92 in South Africa in 2007 which was crucial for winning that match

Babar hasnt even got a test century yet (he’s got close).

I want him to do well, but it’s a bit early for comparison. And as I said earlier. If he is to make his mark he can’t do it on his own. Some of the other guys need to step up. Otherwise he may have a lot of great innings that didn’t lead to victory either

12. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    He’s got one century yaar. Coming back to point of his test batting he just doesn’t strike me as someone who will make centuries consistently. He’s talented yes and he’s a very good player but one test century after 20 Tests is disappointing tbh. He has got to get to Ijaz, Azhar, Asad, Misbah, Salem Malik level first in Tests then think about the greats.

13. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    You didn’t said anything about Younis the Test player. To surpass Younis the test player Babar had still a long long way to go

14. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Ok, you got me, I stand corrected! But still, as you said, 1 century in 20 odd tests is not great.

He has def got talent and ability, but great players generally do great things early in their career. Especially once they’ve become a regular.

I completely agree with everything else you’ve said - as promising as a lot of his innings are, you just know at the back of your mind that it’s not going to be a big innings. He needs to learn how to bat long.

Personally, he doesn’t exude the confidence of a great. I don’t think he has enough confidence in himself as he should. And yes there’s a fine line between confidence and delusion (his cousin!), but he needs to believe in himself more.

Maybe it’s the bowler friendly pitches in domestic cricket, I see very few batsmen coming through that have the application, composure and concentration to bat long.

I really wish we went back to the days of dead pitches in domestic. You’d get batsmen who can bat long and bowlers who produce something extra. Or at least a good mix. Some pitches offer help to the bowlers but many also bowlers graveyards.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    There's no comparison (currently) between Younis the test player and Babar. Younis is arguably one of our top 3 to 4 test bats of all time. Babar does have the potential to get up there but he hasn't shown anything special in tests as of yet.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    You're right, that's not saying much. Malik, Hameed, Umar Akmal, etc. There are many batsmen who wouldn't be classified as Pakistan's best who were better limited over batsmen than Younis.

However Babar (based on his early form) is up there as an ODI batsman with our best like Anwar, Inzi, MoYo, Miandad, etc.

He's not shown anything special as a test batsman. I think his main issue is that he's always looking to score and in tests you need to be able to just anchor in for some sessions to tire out the bowlers and then go after them when they have lost the will to live.