Babar Azam - The next big thing?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 4, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

We've all been here before, a young Pakistani batsman is praised as though he's the next Saeed, Miandad or Inzamam. Some of them have a promising start but inevitably they all turn out to be little more than hype and hot air.

However Babar Azam, cousin of the Akmal brothers, is a young 15 year old opener who has impressed at every age group. He's genuinely considered to be a talent by every Pakistani coach you talk to and many believe he could be debuting for Pakistan within the next 2 years.

He's been amongst the top batsmen in all the youth tournaments he's been part of so far. And Babar was the second highest run scorer during the u15 World Cup in the West Indies and the 3rd highest run scorer during the u19 World Cup in New Zealand.

This kid is the real deal, hopefully the PCB dont ruin his potential.

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 27, 2010
    I have to say that I was quite impressed with this kid in the recent U19 world cup. His timing and placement when playing his strokes made him stand out compared to the other batsmen in the U19 team, definitely looks one for the future.

I look back and think 2009 was a great year for Pakistan in that we discovered two potential world class players in Umar Akmal and Mohammed Aamer. Hopefully, 2010 could be the year when another two young stars are found for the future - Babar Azam could be one, and fingers crossed, maybe Mohammed Irfan the other ! :)

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I think 2010 is too early a debut for Babar but Irfan is a possibility.

What impressed me about Babar was that he didn't look rattled despite playing against kids 4 or 5 years older than him.

4. Majid Khan

Mar 27, 2010
    You may be right the kid's only 15 and no need to rush him, but again looking at the kid's achievements at U19 level and you have to say he's got something about him.

Babar Azam was the leading run scorer in an U19 tri-series tournament last year, also featuring Sri Lanka and Bangladesh U19 teams. He was Pakistan's leading run scorer at the U19 world cup.

For a 15 year old kid to be among the best international batsmen at the U19 level , as his performances here show, tell you this kid is definitely the real deal.

With Pakistan struggling to find a reliable opener in any case, I am all for promoting a talented youngster straight from the U19 team to the Pakistan senior team -- IF and only IF this player has performed exceptionally at that level - and Babar Azam certainly meets that condition.

Mohammed Aamer, Umar Akmal have both shown in the last year, that Pakistan's best prospects are those which are young, raw, and have explosive talent which they are ready to unleash.. all they need is faith to be shown in.

5. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    Right, I still remember the "success" of Hasan Raza. When he had finished his quota of chances he was sent in deep oblivion. That could happen for the next (immature) talent too, I hope he gets the chance at the right stage, when he has matured and gained enough experience. That way I also hope he is better equipped to cope with the tough environment at the international stage.

6. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Babar really impressed me with his technique and compsure at the crease in the recently concluded U19 World Cup. For a guy of only 15 years of age, he does seem to be something 'special in the making'. He can bowl some decent 'offies' too. Has the skills to become a pretty decent batting all-rounder.

We shouldn't get too carried away though, he's only 15 and rushing him into the side too quickly is not a very good idea.
    I wish the best of luck to him and hope he continues to improve.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I think there's a world of difference between facing u19 fast bowlers and Steyn, Lee, Johnson and Roach.

I would wait till he's at least 17 before giving him a chance.

8. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Yep. I think he should experience 4/5 domestic seasons on the trot and if he does well there is no reason why he shouldn't be selected. :)

15 is very very early though.

9. Majid Khan

Mar 27, 2010
    In an ideal scenario, I would agree totally that yes several years of domestic cricket would really help this youngster to polish off its talents.

But lets be honest here, when was the last time a youngster from the U19 team went into Pakistan domestic cricket and came out a better product? I can't recall any.

Pakistan's domestic cricket is rather a tailor made system to ruin youthful talent through neglect, misuse, lack of competitive cricket, incompetent coaching and unfair selection. It converts young talent into more or less mediocricity.

Look back at the last two or three U19 WC teams for Pakistan and in almost all cases, those players who went into domestic cricket to 'polish off their talents', either disappeared off the radar or ended up being lesser players.

I have no doubt that the same would happen to Aamer and Umar Akmal if these two were sent to play 3/4 years of domestic cricket , before being considered ready for international cricket. They would soon be forgotten and no one would have ever known what all the fuss was about.

Until and unless the situation in domestic cricket is addressed, there's only one way in Pakistan cricket in my view and that is to find that exciting youthful talent at U19 level, show faith in it , give it the guidance and nourishment it needs, and let nature takes its own course -- This has worked for Pakistan cricket is you look back in the last two or three decades, you will see some of the greatest names came this way. It has worked for Pakistan cricket again in the cases of Aamer and Umar Akmal and we have discovered two 'gems'.

10. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Not seen this boy yet

International exposure of any kind will be better than our existing domestic cricket.

In domestic cricket, the pitches are sub-standard flat pancakes, facilities are non-existent, nobody watches these games.

Abroad, the same kids get to play of different pitches, play whilst an international audience is present and hence play with extra effort.

I wish the PCB revitalizes grass root cricket (school, colleges) and rectifies the domestic scene.

11. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    na he can't play inswingers with ease..... lets not hurry on the conclusion... and let him learn the hard way.... u throw him in international arena...he will score on one or two occasion then fame will take him.....

12. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    gud say..... world cricket is way different then domestic

13. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Couldn't agree more when I was reading through this thread I had the exact same sentiments, no one here goes to domestic cricket to polish their talent in Pakistan, the exact opposite happens youngsters are sent to domestic cricket to polish their talents and they end up being wasted. Number of players were on the verge of making their debut with Pakistan team but were instead sent to domestic cricket but we never saw them again.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @Majid Khan

I'm with you on domestic cricket not being quite the finishing school it's supposed to be but this is a boy who's yet to finish high school forget about a finishing school.

I still think we could potentially kill his career by giving him a debut right now

15. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Living in the UK i dont gt much of an oppurtunity to watch Pakistani domestic players or youngster but if the guy has got talent there is no reason why he shouldnt be able to get into the Pakistani side by next year.

Sachin Tendulkar was only 16 when he first debuted for India and so was Afridi. Coming from a talented family like the Akmals i dont doubt he has got talent but if he played a season or two in domestic cricket facing the pakistani quicks such as Aamer/Gul/Sami/Asif/Cheema and played successfully i dont mind him being called up to the national squad.

I'd replace Misbah with him any day of the week. Tendulkar learned most of his trade on the international stage at a young age, i dont see why holding him back is gonna be a big help as lets face it, we dont have the best domestic set up so its no point in keeping him there for too long as that would just make him use to playing on the flat tracks in pakistan and he will end up picking some of the bad habits.

Hope we dont ruin his career and i wish him the best

16. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    If Pakistan really wanted to let him play first class cricket to nurture his game they should allow him to play for Australian/English county cricket, not only will he learn how to field but his batting will improve and on the plus side he will end up acing his English exam lol

17. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    He cant just walk into a county or state team, why would they pick an unknown Pakistani youngster? Besides there are rules about him playing a certain amount of first class games in Pakistan before he can play for one of those teams.

18. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Hey why hasn't any team signed him to play for them in this years quid e azam trophy??????

I also heard he is the cousin of the akmal brothers

19. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    yeah boy looked quite good in wc u 19
    he timed the ball well the only problem wid him was he wasnt moving his feet at all durin his batting if he could improve dat area of his batting he ca really be the next big thing HOPE SO
    BUT for me da next big thing is AHMED SHEHZAD

20. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    He's part of the ZTBL squad but hasn't been picked yet. It might be because he's only 16 and is currently focusing on finishing his education. :)

Babar Azam has plenty of time on his hands.

21. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010

Lets hope he isn't the next Hassan Raza.

22. Pakistan11

Pakistan11 Youngsta Beauty

Nov 1, 2010
    If he really is a real deal then lets be patient with him and not rush him maybe he can play a couple of season of county as well and should get exposure on A tours

23. alimola

alimola Youngsta Beauty

Nov 19, 2010
    he is in the squad for qea trophy but y isnt he playing

24. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    The Akmal mafia again will come to the rescue of this little kid! lol

25. alimola

alimola Youngsta Beauty

Nov 19, 2010
  26. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    how old is this new talent?

27. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    fayyaz butt and sarmar bhatti dont look too bad

28. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    I think babar azam is the next big thing.
    have yoo see the U19 Cup?
    He is just about 15 years old.

29. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Him and Rameez aziz (little Lara) are rated very highly hope they got chances to prove themselves.

30. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Aziz is also a good player and im waiting for next U19 World Cup.

31. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    mohammed rameez is an ace fast bowler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. sohaib-789

Mar 11, 2010
    Good to see Babar Azam making his debut in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

Currently on 6 not out.
    He is one for the future.

33. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    oh finnily, thats good.

34. alimola

alimola Youngsta Beauty

Nov 19, 2010
    lets c wat he does

35. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    another Akmal, we might even end up with all 4 in the side

36. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    :)) omg man, these Akmals are so talented, and yet they will fail in international after some months later.

37. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    is akmal his relative or smthn?
    i dnt knw can sm 1 increase my knowledge..........
    thnx

38. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    now a days people fight bcoz they think 1 province is getting more attention dn othrz
    some day in future people will fight dat too many players are being selected from akmal family and selectors are biased
    THINK people sayn akmals are being considered and all 4 provices [[rest of punjab excluding akmals]] are being ignored
    hahahahahahahahha

39. sohaib-789

Mar 11, 2010
    Great knock.
    53 runs on debut for the 16 year old.
    Well played

40. shokit_ch

shokit_ch Youngsta Beauty

Aug 6, 2010