Babar Azam - The next big thing?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 4, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Top class innings.

2. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    He middled almost every ball that come to his bat. Really a class player.

3. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Missed his 62* off 62 today.

Need to catch up with the highlights!

4. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
    It was a good innings. Sure, England's ODI bowling unit is not the greatest around but had England gotten a wicket when Babar walked in they would have had their tails up and things could have been different. Babar played sensibly. Rotated the strike and looked comfortable. The really good thing which I took note of was his ability to clear the boundary. Not only is it great to see him build an innings but also quite easily clear the ropes when the need arises.

5. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Played good today but I was very disappointed with the shot he played. That turned the game IMO.

6. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    Good innings. Only one that scored. He lost his wicket at s crucial point but the match was lost went blessed in all facets dropped Nicholas who went on to score 80+ and our top order who we were relying on were not able to make a mark, yes I know hafeez scored 42 but that's not good enough especially with a drop.

He likes the middle order a lot more and if he is comfortable there then he should be played there...

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Some really classy shots today. He needs to be persisted with. The more he plays the better he will get

8. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Played well but still not the God-sent talent everyone wants. He also has flaws in his game and isn't going to solve all of Pakistan's problems. He is, however, a very good start and he can make a big difference batting at 4. Having Malik before or after him should help him a bit as well.

9. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    What are his flaws?

10. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    He's not a free flowing batsman. He still gets bogged down with dots. He struggles on the off side. He's not a big hitter of the ball. I'm not a batting coach or even a cricket analyst, nor do I remember his entire innings but he's not the full package. And that's obvious.

Before you all jump on me, I'm not saying he needs to be out of the team or anything or go back to domestic. He should be here to stay. He's an awesome batting talent. I'm just pointing out flaws so we don't have threads like, is Babar the next Sachin, or is Babar going to score 20k ODI runs.

Just know that we have a good batsman, but we need at least 1 more with someone of his caliber to make a difference to this team.

11. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Lol don't worry, was just testing your cricketing knowledge.

Babar can play all around the ground. Many of his offside shots went right to the fielders because they'd packed the cover area. He's capable of hitting big as well.

He's very much a free flowing batsman but when you come in the middle order, there are 4 fielders outside so you have to rely on double and singles. He was bogged down today because NZ had placed some excellent field placements to cut off the angles, not to mention how sharp their fielders are in the ring.

There are some minor flaws which I won't elaborate on but what he needs more than anything is more game experience to establish his spot and you'll see him bat in full flow with confidence.

12. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Well, just because I don't want you think I failed my test, I did think of the cricketing situation and fielders. Regardless, I'm not convinced that he's a free-flowing batsman because he hit to the fielder several times, like you mentioned, instead of adapting/finding gaps. Maybe that's not to be expected from someone so early on, but these are some potentially major flaws or minor flaws that can just be attributed to lack of confidence and experience (which is what I think it is, like you mentioned).

I'm also not convinced at all he has the ability to hit big because that remains to be seen.

All in all, a talent we can get excited about. Now if only Rizwan will show the same application, because he plays with some wonderful timing as well.

I can try and wrap my head around a batting order of Azhar, Hafeez, Rizwan, Babar, Malik, Umar. Not sure who's going to do the big hitting at 6 and 7 though, or where Sarfraz fits in. I'd like Sarfraz as an opener and I'm more than happy for one of Azhar or Hafeez to go away but I doubt that's going to happen.

13. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    He did hit some big shots against England. As he gets stronger, you'll see more of those.

I'm not sure what you mean by free flowing. It's difficult for a young batsman starting out his career to pierce fielders in the middle overs chasing 280. Like I said, once he establishes his spot, you'll see what he's actually capable of. I'm saying this because I have watched him in domestic.

14. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    By free flowing, I mean not playing 4-5 dots in a row. He did that multiple times on occasion - and the situation wasn't that tough. He was batting with Hafeez and only 2 wickets were down. It's another thing that he believed he was the last batsman because he knows Maqsood is shit, Sarfraz can't score quickly, and Imad is a mixed bag but that's making way too many assumptions.

Again, it's just one game I'm basing off and that's my analysis thus far.

15. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    He's a young batsman starting out his career, chasing 280 on top. How can he not be under pressure? Of course he was like any young batsman would be, especially in our brittle lineup.

16. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Yep, that's completely fair which is why I'm excited to watch him develop.

I just want to point out that he does have some flaws and isn't going to save Pakistan batting by himself.

17. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    One batsman can't score 300 or 500 in tests, of course he's not going to save us. We're gonna need Rizwan to develop and Haris to come back. Also will need to rid of Azhar, Shehzad, Hafeez.

18. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    This is for a different thread, but how get-rid-of-able are Azhar and Hafeez? Shehzad seems like he could go away, but I don't know about Azhar and Hafeez.

19. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Azhar will continue to fail and will eventually get dropped. This will be Hafeez's last year as he's about to be brutally exposed in England and Australia in both formats.

20. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    One can only hope. It's better for the 2019 WC.

21. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Good player. Lets see where he's at after 60 ODI innings.
    So far he looks just like any other recent batsman to come from Pakistan.

The one thing though I have to give him credit for is his fielding. These Akmals and their relatives may not be the best wicketkeepers but they are damn good fielders by Pakistani standards

22. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Averaging 46 at a S/R of 91 after 9 ODIs now. 5 fifties in 9 innings mashaAllah.

23. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    An exciting prospect and one I have expectations from of coming good. However the burden will be on him to improve, work hard and excel. Really hope he comes through for us.

He needs tonbe persisted with and should slowly be inducted into the test team as well. Him and haris look good middle order batsmen.

What he doesn't need are fans hyping him up like crazy. I will be very happy if he doesn't 'Babar ki dewaniyas' following him.

24. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Fearless. Great find. Let him play all 3 formats.

25. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Dont forget akmal also started with a bang in Nz and Australia. In fact most of our youngsters start with bang. Its the second year when you know completely about a player

26. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah I hope he doesn't regress like them, but technically he looks better than most others we have tried.

Best to keep him away from T20s for now. Don't want him going the Akmal route.

27. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Hmm that's also a possibility. But he was a joy to watch.

Best parts were him driving over milnes head for fours. Milne was bowling at 150kph. That's talent for u. Malik was struggling facing him at the other end.

28. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Lets give him at least 50 ODIs and then we should see where he is heading.

For the time being he started well in ODIs and need to be given a consistent run of 50 games at least.

29. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Different face but same story. Grate start but watch him unravel to become a complete hack.
    It'll be starting just about from the next series onwards

• Pessimistic Pessimistic x 1
    • List
  30. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Not going to happen. He isn't going to become a hack, this much I can say for sure.

31. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    There is nothing sure about future. .facepalm.

32. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    and that means not messing him around, up and down the order, wouldn't be surprised if they send him to open, then send him down at 6 to finish or something silly.

even akmal jr. looked a million dollars when he was settled at 4 early in his career.

personally i'm far more excited by his potential as a test player, looks to attack without slogging, exactly the ingredients you need for a middle order test batsman.

only slight concern i have is he doesn't shift his weight efficiently and ends up playing slightly wafty shots without transferring his weight completely.

33. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Guy has good technique; maybe he might regress but I don't see him becoming a hack.

34. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Not since Mohammad Yousuf have we had a stroke maker. Babar Azam is a ray of hope.

35. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    You're thinking of a different sort of batsman. We get guys who come in, close their eyes and slog blindly. They have some lucky innings and are called the next big thing then they fade away.

What's impressed me about Babar Azam is that he is about placement and running between the wickets. He may have a dip in form like all players do but he's the real deal.

36. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Well it all depends on your definition of talent. If it's hitting huge sixes and scoring at 100mph regardless of the match situation then no he isn't very talented.

If your definition is someone with good technique, the ability to pick the bad balls, dissect the field and keep the strike rotating then yes he is.

37. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I don't really understand this post because I don't see how it is relevant to what I said. I'm not even talking about talent.

38. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm not too sure about him yet.
    Akmal, Jamshed, Maqsood all played very well controlled innings in their first few series. They all seemed to have good hand-eye coordination and seemed to have good placement and a game plan for ODI's but over time they just regressed to complete failures.
    I hope the same doesn't happen to Babar but can't help but be pessimistic for now

39. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Ugh, Babar just looked so damn good yesterday. That straight drive for 4 to Milne was gorgeous. He looks very, very good but I think we all know better than to hype up players. Let's hope the drive to improve sticks with him and other players learn from him.

40. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    really?