Babar Azam - The next big thing?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 4, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The basis of their games is the ability to hit big, they need to be able to be going along at a high strike rate or they get frustrated and lash out.

Ironically enough Babar did that very thing today after a few too many dot balls but overall that's not his game. He's more likely to anchor down and play himself in that the others.

2. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    My apologies lol, I thought you quoted a different post.

Why would you say he's the God-sent talent everyone wants? Do you think he can be as good as Williamson? Smith? Kohli?

3. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Disagree. Babar looks far more composed at the crease than the guys mentioned. A class apart.

4. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    He might look better but it doesn't guarantee success. I know PCB is not the set up to be making talent work. it just ruins it and to me its a gut feeling that he's just another one of those

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I didn't say that. I said that if your definition of talent "is someone with good technique, the ability to pick the bad balls, dissect the field and keep the strike rotating then yes he is."

6. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I was asking a genuine question - I'm not sure why you got defensive.

I understand he can do all of that but when I say God-sent talent everyone has been looking for, that's referring to him becoming one of the best batsmen in the world and taking games by the balls and I'm not sure if that is in him. It may be too early, but yesterday he really should've gotten that 100 and taken Pakistan over the edge...if he was a God-sent talent that everyone is looking for.

I don't think I'm being harsh, I'm being very realistic about him. He was a treat to watch and I think he will continue to be very good and I'm very excited about him.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I don't know where you got defensive from, I think you're used to PP style discussion where it's about scoring point or whatever.

I was just trying to clarify what you meant by God given talent which you did in your last post. I agree he should've scored a century.

8. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Lol don't pick on PP for this, I haven't posted on there in over 2 years. The same thing happens here and I felt that you got defensive because...actually forget it. Not worth the debate.

I don't see why you had to go to 2 extremes for what God-given talent is. Are you saying that if Babar had scored 50 off 30 both games I'd consider him a God-given talent?

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    In my experience people use terms like God given talent for players like Nazir, UAkmal, Afridi, etc who (when it's their day) look like they are batting on a different pitch. The guy batting at the other end will be looking clueless on the same pitch and they will be batting like they're facing a club bowler on the flattest pitch in history.

10. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Fair.

11. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    His bat face is closing too early on shots played from mid-on to mid-wicket. He's got really flexible wrists so the bat is either slipping or twisting too much. In either case, he has to tighten his bottom hand grip or change to an oval handle bat like Kohli did.

12. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    also, he has the same issue like umer akmal, few dot balls and he will gift his wicket.. needs to calm himself. sometimes you have to grind it out/

13. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Been really impressive this series mashaAllah.

I know its just WI but good to see him score back to back tons as earlierhe was getting starts but not converting them to big ones. Hopefully this will kickstart his career and earn him a test call-up.

Think he'll only improve batting alongside Misbah & YK.

14. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Exciting player. Has fabulous hand eye coordination. Give him a long run.

15. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
  16. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Great analysis there, gotta accept.

17. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Now, he seems to have matured very quickly and great thing he is converting starts into big scores! That's what I always wanted him to do and not end up like his young cousin Akmal! But, still this is Westindies and it's UAE,. Next step is going to be that he needs to score against Australia and South Africa in difficult conditions to be rated with fab 4 or 5 young players of the world!!

18. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    2 centuries in less than 20 ODIs. He's already Pakistan's biggest batting talent.

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    People noticed him in 2010 wow.

20. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    puberty brah

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    I still won't pass judgement on him. He's yet to do well against top sides. He only managed to get 40 as his highest score in England.

Even Hafeez scored back to back 100s in UAE, Shehzad too. Hafeez also scored a 100 against England

with that being said, I think he's a totally different player than the two mentioned. This kid has one thing, brain. He should good attitude in England

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  22. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    I've been following him from 2010 too, been a fan ever since he was doing well at U19 level in the 2010 WC.

He was only 16 back then and was among the top run scorers of that tournament.

23. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Certainly looks much better than Hafeez and Shehzad.

24. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Lets see if he can rise to the next level and make consistent centuries in different conditions. How amazing it would be if Pakistan finally found a player of such quality.
    Early days still but he's doing ok so far.

In actual fact I think he needs to be brought to test side asap so he can get guidance off YK and Misbah on how to bat LONG and convert starts to daddy hundreds.
    Two consecutive centuries is great but I still feel he could do with more mentoring as I feel out of maybe 15 or so starts in his career he's converted only 2 to centuries.
    A conversion rate like YK's would be amazing if he could do it in all formats

25. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Please tell me which other young player from us has scored back to back ODI centuries... even in the UAE... even against the West Indies.

The opposition and the venue takes nothing away from Babar's accomplishment. He deserves all the praise he is getting in this thread.

26. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Looked good today but his real test will be against Aussies. Hopefully he wont dissappoint us like he did in England.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

27. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Hopefully this is the end of Hafeez, especially with Nawaz and Imad also doing well.

28. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I am not be-belittling his achievement but some posters had hyped him so much when he had arrived as if he was as good as Roots, Williamson, Smith and Kohli etc back then. He wasn't as good then as he was very raw when he arrived at intl scene and therefore not converting starts into big scores! Now, he has learned quickly and converted them into two big hundreds. He must carry this form and score as many as he can whilst he is in form right now!! He must not throw this away!

29. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    People were hyping him because they have an eye for talent and have been seeing him since U-19 level and knew exactly what he was capable of doing...

30. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Because of his inconsistent performances and him not converting starts into big scores, team suffered initially!!

• Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  31. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Can't take a person who calls our best batsman a parchi seriously, sorry...

32. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
  33. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    That was a joke, but, he is far from the best batsman we have. Our best batsmen are Fawad Alam and Harris Sohail and Azhar Ali in ODI's and couple of them are not getting a chance for various reasons!!

34. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    @Ahson8 question

Why were you cussing Babar when he failed in some innings in England ?

35. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    What is the obsession with Fawad Alam?

36. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Lol where did I cuss him ?

I've always backed him, was just a bit disappointed he was getting starts but not converting them to big scores.

37. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Interesting to see some people here getting overboard praising Babar Azam for his mercurial innings. Guy needs more time and few more innings to prove he is a class apart Akmals, Maqsoods etc.

He needs to dominate better bowling attacks like Australia and SA on a consistent basis.

He needs to prove he can chase a big total in difficult conditions against superior oppositions.

He needs to demonstrate he can still come good in situations like 4/10 and play with lower middle order to reach some sort of safety.

He needs to be able to play at most difficult of pitches with dealy turn or venomous bounce and still get the highest score of the innings.

One must not forget that many of his predecessors burst into international scene with similar initial success and promise but slowly faded into obscurity. I hope he does not share their fate.

Another important thing to remember that a player can only be 'up-coming and promising' for a certain length of time. Almost everybody can be called the next big thing as it is just a prediction. Whether it gets fulfilled or not remains to be seen.

I dont mind holding my breath a little longer for Babar.

38. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Fawad Alam deserves selection in tests and odis formats as he has the highest average in the domestic history of Pakistan!! What more do you want? Log yeh bahana banate hein Fawad se circle paar nahi hota@ Saare batsman Sharjeel Khan honge to wicket pe khara kon hoga yeh batao? boundaries maarna allrounders aur keepers ka kaam hota hai batsman needs to put runs on the board!!

39. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Arey bhai, you said Fawad is our best batsman even though he is not even in the team. Woh kaise?

40. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]