Babar Azam - The next big thing?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 4, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Some more facts:

• Babar Azam now has 886 runs in 18 ODI innings; this is the most any batsman has scored after 18 innings, previously this record was held by Viv Richards with 883 runs in 18 innings
    • Babar needs 114 runs in 2 innings to become the fastest to 1000 ODI runs; this record is currently held by Viv as well
    • Babar is 7th in the list of most ODI runs scored by a batsman in 2016
    Untitled.png

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Can't believe any Pakistani batsman can do what Babar has done.

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  4. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Babar has been tremendous!

5. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    ICC emerging player of the year 2016 ?

6. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Won't be surprised if @Ahson8 starts sending Babar rishtas to get him married into his family.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Text Talk Text Talk x 1
    • List
  7. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    Glad to see this guy score big after having so many wasted starts. Hopefully this will give him some confidence to score against big sides.

8. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Can't believe he's actually got this amazing record.

Also I doubted his ability to play a long innings but with 3 100s in a row he's gone a long way to show everyone that he's more than just a pretty 30-40 run player

9. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    properly excited for this kids prospects in test cricket, has to be in the test team now. cant think of a better intro than three "home" tests against the windies.

10. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Hopefully he can carry on this form also in Australia. Just need to focus on playing full 50 overs. Other should build innings around him.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

11. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
  12. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Well over 7 years on since he was first talked about here on CS.

Has he lived up to the hype?

Doing amazingly well in the shorter format, however still yet to shine in tests.

Easily one of our better batsmen. Just needs to transfer his ODI form in to the test arena

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  13. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I think he can do good in Tests.

14. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Another Virat Kohli!! Stunning in shorter formats, developing in test cricket!!

15. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Kohli has performed all over the world

16. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Babar will also!! Babar has done so infact!! His performance in Aussie odi series was quite good, he is mainly still learning the art in test cricket!! Difference between him and Umar Akmal is that he values his wicket a lot more than Akmal, which is a great quality to have!! This was the reason for him not scoring runs in test series though!! But still, always get out tuk tuking than playing an attacking shot in my opinion is the right thing to do!! Better be on low extreme than on high extreme!!

17. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    but his SR is on the low side. also kohli is clutch while chasing. he has played in much more pressure situations and he came out good. He is the backbone of team india. hes the difference between india winning and losing.

18. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Babar is the same for Pakistan!! Empower him, he will come good!! We will have to wait for some time! We will have to take the karwa ghunt but in the long run, we will reap the benefits!! But, the main problem with us is that when time comes for reaping benefits, we dispose of an experienced player for some youngster, its that sort of a country we are!! Had Sachin played for Pakistan, he wont have gotten those 15 K runs!!

19. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    but hes young. hes 23. also we gave and still r giving shahzad chances and he sucks. same with umar akmal.

20. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    When you finally,finally produce a Intl player that is of Intl cricket standard in Batting,Why the hell are you complaining for,You know what carry on,Carry on

Enjoy being 25/5 every match.

21. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Your acting as if Babar has a mediocre average of 25 but has potential.

Mate wake up an Average of 57 is great and his SR is also decent at 87

"Oh give him time he'll improve "

What more can he do,Does he need to score at a run a ball and get out,Well that's not his job,Babar Has a specific job of batting through the innings.

In your book he needs to score a 300 otherwise he shouldn't be selected.

22. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    This is why Mickey is a great coach,Babar won't be dropped because he has seen the shining light in him and that's enough,If you get a Pakistani coach in I don't think Babar would even be playing for Pakistan.

23. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    first of all calm ur ass down. Second, I was talking about Shehzad in response to him saying we done give young players chances and then discard them. I got no issues with babar in LOIs, just mentioned that he needs to work on his SR a bit.

24. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    In your previous comment you compared Babar with Virat.
    Why has Kohli been brought into this.

Babar should have every right to shun the comparisons,If Kohli was the Pakistani no3 batsman then you can compare,The two but you can't compare a 23 year old beginner from Pakistan with a pro top class player from India as Pakistan has a significant amount of difference with India on the batting front

Rohit Sharma,Manish Pandey don't get compared to Kohli as much as Shehzad,Akmal and Babar have,It just shows the impatience and finally after waiting for so long to show the world OUR bright star you start comparing him,The guy is Babar Azam and not Virat Kohli.

His SR will improve once he plays more better bowlers and gets slightly more experianced,Even at 23 Babar bats like a Mature experianced campaigner,Still havnt seen that Quality from either Hafeez or Malik and I have already seen it in Babar Azam.

25. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Because Kohli is the best batsmen in the world right now (LOIs).. Common logic would dictate that if you want your player be the best, you have to draw comparisons to the best player available right now to see how he's faring.

Plus, Shahzad has a history that you won't understand and that comment was actually a friendly backhand to him.

P. S. Putting Hafeez and malik in the same sentence with babar is ban worthy (especially Hafeez)

26. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Kohli is Kohli, he is not a legend yet like Younus Khan or Misbah!!

27. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Mate,He's not younis but he is better than tuck tuker.

28. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Babar Azam and a case for adoring simplicity

[​IMG]

Against the West Indies he displayed precisely what makes him so good. PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: Babar Azam is 23. This is a fact that bears repeating and reminding. Such is the head on those slender shoulders that it isn’t difficult to forget that.

The 23-year-old has a ridiculous ODI and T20I record. He averages 51.11 in ODIs, having already scored 1,789 runs in 50-over cricket for the Men in Green. For context, that is more than skipper Sarfraz Ahmed’s career tally. His 97* knockout against West Indies in the second T20I took his T20I average to over 50 as well; 53.15 to be exact.

Such numbers are not only obscene but also almost unheard of. They are out of the reach of every batsman in the world whose name isn’t Virat Kohli. In other words, for anyone who isn’t an absolute freak of a nature.

Nobody else averages 50 in both limited-overs formats. Not the other big three — Steven Smith, Joe Root and Kane Williamson. Not the old guard — Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers and MS Dhoni. Only Kohli and Babar.

Against the West Indies he displayed precisely what makes him so good. The grace and the elegance. The dismissive nature of his drives. The utter control in every shot. The riskfree manner of run-getting. The uncanny ability to make it all look so so easy.

Yet it also showed precisely why he is so criminally underrated in Pakistan. On Monday night, Babar had a strike-rate of over 167, yet played almost none of the shots that really get the average Pakistani heart racing. There was no wild swing at the ball, no skiers, and almost no balls sailing straight over the bowler’s head. Even the six he hit was a lesson in technique; eyes on the ball, body still, onto the pitch of the ball, doesn’t try to hit it too hard, perfect follow through. Coaches in England wouldn’t have seen anything more beautiful since they laid their eyes on their first born.

Yet you can hit the most stylish shots in the world as many times as you want but in Pakistan you aren’t considered sexy unless you can send an industraial hoick sailing into the night sky. For proof, talk to Messrs Muhammad Yousuf and Shahid Afridi.

But there are other reasons behind why Babar isn’t the darling of this strange strange nation. Babar is the kind of player we respect, the kind whose hand we would like to collectively shake after a match-winning performance, rather than the kind of player we adore, the kind who we would run up to before embracing them in a bear hug.

He isn’t in your face, he doesn’t wear chains around his neck, he doesn’t dye his hair or cut it in strange ways, he isn’t all guns and glory. He isn’t Shadab Khan, he isn’t Muhammad Amir, he isn’t Umar Akmal — three of the nations most recent darlings.

Hell, even his shots are almost apologetic. Just a simple front foot push, as economical as they come. He isnt macho and bravado, he is sense and sensibility. He is the sweet boy you would want your daughter to marry, not the cool kid on the block. He doesn’t scream and shout, he merely smiles shyly.

Perhaps this lack of adoration is down to Babar too; self-effacing and down-to-earth as he is.

“I simply try to give my 100 per cent wherever I play,” he said during an interview with Daily Express’s Saleem Khaliq. “I’ve worked very hard to get here. I believe the harder I work, the better the results will be.”

This is a player determined to make good of his ridiculous talent. Perhaps he has learned from the mistakes of his two cousins — Kamran and Umar Akmal — who have both been bigger superstars than Babar at the peak of their powers but have never come anywhere near close to Babar’s on-field exploits.

Comparing Babar with Umar seems almost like rubbing the poor Akmal’s nose in it — akin to beating a dead horse — but it makes for interesting reading into why Umar, rather than Babar, was the one the country was quicker to love.

In ODIs, Babar has scored 31.7% of his runs in fours and 5.7% of his runs in sixes. Umar’s tally is 34.1% for fours and 9.9% for sixes. In T20Is, the dichotomy between the two increases further. Babar has 38.5% in fours and 7.8% in sixes. Umar has 28.9% in fours but a whopping 19.5% in sixes.

Conventional wisdom would say the man hitting more boundaries would be the one scoring at a higher rate. Yet there is very little to choose from. Umar’s 85.94 in ODIs just about betters Babar’s 84.26 but the younger cousin boasts a strike-rate of 127.49 as compared to Umar’s 122.9. What Babar lacks in boundary hitting, he makes up for in canny maneouvering of the field and good running between the wickets. Of course Babar absolutely dwarves Umar in terms of average; he absolutely dwarves every Pakistani cricketer in terms of average.

The Lahore-born Babar is on course to becoming the greatest batsman Pakistan has ever produced. He is going about it in the best of manners; quietly and without controversy, breaking records along the way. It would be a pity though, if he doesn’t win over our collective hearts in the process too.

It is high time that we embrace Babar in the warmest of bear hugs rather than giving him yet another handshake.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1676343/7-babar-azam-case-adoring-simplicity/

29. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    He has finally met his idol probably had a chat as well so yeh I’m happy for him. Wanted him to meet AB but thought shyness may stop him.

30. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    why did he mention lovely dad and husband ?

31. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Already scored second most runs for any Pakistan player in a world cup, he's on 378 and needs another 60 to get past Javed Miandad.

I don't understand why Pakistani fans constantly bash him. If someone who does not know much about cricket reads some comments they would think he's average. He's still in process of establishing himself. Lots of things left to tick on the check list but so far hes doing good. I encourage all fans to support him.

Honestly this is my opinion. Not being harsh or anyone but most Pakistani people in general they don't know much about batting. They only care about bowling. If you read Indian opinion on Babar and even Harry for that matter, they really appreciate them. Gautam Gambhir who hates everyone even likes him. Lol

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  32. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Went to both Edgbaston and Headingley games and there was nothing but love in the crowd for Babar.

33. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Well Imam and Fakhar beat him in this record :p

34. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Top 5 ODI batsman in the world right now.

35. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    I watched and celebrated his maiden FC 100.

Tum kya samjho ge pyar ko @Inswinger :p

36. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    He has potential to be the greatest batsmen Pakistan has produced. He needs to continue working hard on his game.