1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Bangladesh tour squad analysis

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Sixer, Apr 3, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    https://hazharoon.wordpress.com/2015/04/03/bangladesh-tour-squad-analysis/

I have no personal issue with any of the players, or any agenda to push forward. Every assessment made is merely my viewpoint on the squad selected.
    After the relatively early exit from the World Cup, it was expected that the selectors will push forward with youth, and rightly so. To me its simple – if you’re not going to play in the 2019 World Cup, you shouldn’t be in the squad.

And that’s the issue I have with the selection of Saeed Ajmal. I am a huge Ajmal fan; he is a great ambassador for Pakistan cricket and has performed remarkably for us, however I am not in favour of his inclusion at this point. Will Ajmal be representing Pakistan in the 2019 World Cup at 41 years of age? I highly doubt it. I’d rather we focus on backing youth for the premier event. As well as this, who’s to say Ajmal will be as effective as he once was? He hasn’t played competitive cricket in over seven months. I wish him well as he is a great guy, but I don’t agree with his selection.

Another thing that is baffling is the exclusion of Ahmed Shehzad from the test and ODI squad. Here we have a youngster who has shown an appetite for big runs, yet the way he is treated is despicable. Shehzad was Pakistans leading run scorer in ODI cricket in 2014, the second highest scorer for Pakistan in the World Cup. He has played eight test matches, scored three hundreds with two fifties at an average close to 48. His last innings was a mammoth 176 against New Zealand, which was ended with a blow to his head. The treatment of Ahmed Shehzad is simply shocking. One of the reasons behind his exclusion is his ‘attitude problem’ and to ‘teach him a lesson’, well my question is if this is the case, why is he in the t20 squad?

Now onto something a lot more positive, Mukhtar Ahmed, a name not a lot will know of. He is selected in the t20 squad after scoring a mighty impressive 100* against Karachi Dolphins. This knock came against Afridi and co, which is what I believe, persuaded the selectors and Afridi to include Mukthar in the squad. I’ve seen him bat and I think he’ll be a useful option at the top of the order. He has a pretty solid defence and a strong attacking game, what’s lacking though is the in-between, which is strike rotation. He also adds a bowling option with his part time leg-spin, which has had a relative amount of success. So far he’s had a positive start to his professional career averaging 40+ in all formats, lets hope he can transfer his domestic success to international cricket.

What I am most happy about is the inclusion of Babar Azam and Sami Aslam. These two have been earmarked at a very young age to become quality international cricketers. Both have progressed up the ranks from the U19 stage and have had tremendous amounts of success. Recently Babar Azam scored a century against the Australians during a practice match, which shows his quality. One thing I do however find surprising is Babar’s exclusion from the ODI squad, which I believe is his stronger format. He averages 47 in list-a cricket compared to a mid 30’s average in first-class cricketer. Nevertheless, the inclusion of both around the set up is a positive move, and one that I am over the moon about!

22-year-old Mohammad Rizwan has also been called up to the Pakistan side, although this is the second time he has been included. He was previously included in the ODI team which toured the West Indies in 2013, however did not play a game. Watching Rizwan bat, I feel he is similar to Sarfaraz Ahmed. Both are ‘punchy’ players. His strength to me lies in strike rotation, this is a huge positive in his batting and it is a rare quality in a Pakistani batsman. I watched his double century in the Quaid-e-Azam thoroughly and I was impressed with the way he showed maturity at such a young age. He is a also a wicket-keeper which is an advantage.

Umar Akmal has surprisingly been left out of all formats. I remember the last time we toured Bangladesh; Umar was the man of the series. He has always been one of my favourite batsmen in Pakistan, a modern day cricketer who takes the game to the opposition. I think the exlusion can work in a positive manner for him; he needs to look at this break from international cricket as a chance to improve and work on his game. He needs to go back to first-class cricket and learn how to construct an innings, 100+ scores are required. The bad thing for Pakistan cricketers are when they are out of form, its very hard to get back into form as the first-class game is very weak.

Whilst Yasir has been a revelation for Pakistan in test cricket, I don’t feel he is a limited overs bowler. I love the passion and energy he brings to the game but I believe there are more promising spinners who deserve selection ahead of him e.g. Shahzaib Ahmed/Zafar Gohar. Shahzaib to me is the complete package, a marvellous leg spin bowler who at one point was the leading wicket taker in our domestic tournament.

Last but not least Fawad Alam makes his much anticipated return to the Pakistan team. Fawad is a seasoned professional and the way he has handled himself after being exlcluded is commendable, no statements in the media etc. He has kept himself calm and instead resorts to answering his critics with the bat. He is a good inclusion and I am in favour of what he brings to the team. Although Misbah performed well for Pakistan, I believe what he did poorly was stagnate during the middle overs. This is the period where you need to rotate strike and build partnerships; this lies in with Fawads strength, which is nudging and nurdling the ball for ones and twos.

Overall I am fairly to semi decently happy with the squad selected. As always there could be improvements however we must look at the positives, and those are mainly the inclusion of the youngsters. Eventually I see the likes of Hammad Azam making a return, which will be useful for Pakistan as I believe he will be required during the World Cup in England. Now is the time for the selectors to be consistent with the team and back them completely. The road to the 2019 World Cup starts now.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 7
    • List
  2. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Not allowing me to add spaces in between paragraphs.

Can a mod please edit.

Thanks.

3. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Use the 'clear formatting' button located in the corner of the editing tools box (symbol is a rubber). Should remove the problem.

4. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Brilliant analysis, Sixer

Imo, Ajmal should have been dropped and Hammad taken. Next WC is in England, we need a pace bowling all rounder

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  5. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    AFAIK Hammad just came back from an injury and with Shakil Sheikh pushing for his boys Kukri and Amin, Hammad might never get in.

6. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Correct.

7. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Positives:

Babar Azam and Rizwan.

Negatives:

Azhar, Asad, Fawad, Hafeez, Sami, Gul, Tanvir, Afridi, Shezzy, Maqsood, Younis, Ajmal, Kohli Buster and Saad Nasim.

8. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    I am not quite up to date with this:

Rizwan in as a keeper?

Is he good? If he plays will Sarfraz play as a batsman?

• List
  9. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    rizwan is a wicket keeper batsman in domestic and what i have seen of him is that he is a decent middle order batsman but not a good keeper.

I dont think rizwan will get a go and if he does then he will play as a batsman unless sarfraz does something that will make make kami look like healy. :p:::p:p:p

• List
  10. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Good post Sixer. About ajmal, i would add that if he performs well we can still have him in the team a la Bradd hogg.

• List
  11. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Zafar Gohar would have been a better option than Ajmal. Ajmal should play T20's only. Simple.

• List
  12. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Overall a good analysis Sixer

I don't mind Shehzad being dropped in LO's but he should have been persisted in tests.

• List
  13. ToolKit

ToolKit Youngsta Beauty

May 22, 2014
    Haroon Rashid specifically mentioned Hammad when people asked about a lack of an all rounder

that alone gives me hope

• List
  14. ToolKit

ToolKit Youngsta Beauty

May 22, 2014
    if Ajmal does well it will be great but i hate this brad hogg comparison thats been doing the rounds.

Bradd Hogg got in because australia spinning stocks are mediocre, probably the worst in the cricketing world, Pakistan on the other have the best spinning stocks in the world

the comparison is non existent

Ajmal quite simply has to be great again, otherwise given his age and our other options there is no reason to keep him other then sentiment

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  15. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    You might be right but what world class spinners we have brother? I see no one. All are untested.

16. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

Indeed. With other players like Zafar Gohar, Shahzaib Ahmed, Yasir Shah, Zahid Mahmood etc waiting for their chance. Ajmal need to perform at a very good level or else get dropped with 2019 in mind.

No one becomes World Class unless they're tested and given a consistent run to show what they're good for, whether they potentially can become World Class and where their current ability lies.

Ajmal is not selected because he is World Class, he is selected right now based on sentiment. If he fires with his new action then great, but if not then he should be dropped and we should look forward to give others a chance.

Ajmal wasn't World Class when he started his career for Pakistan either.

17. ToolKit

ToolKit Youngsta Beauty

May 22, 2014
    none right now but i reckon yasir can be the premier test spinner for the next couple of years much like ajmal was. If he does well vs SL in a few months then i will have no doubts.

Zafar i believe is ready for ODIs and can pair Yasir in tests

Simple fact is ajmal isnt worth it if he isnt of the level that he left off.

We have 4 years to prepare for the next wc. We have to settle this ajmal issue quickly. Even if he is simply good, he wont be worth it.

• List