1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Bari reveals there's a lot of excitement about Irfan's potential

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 18, 2010.

Bari reveals there's a lot of excitement about Irfan's potential

by Abdul Habib
Jan 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    wasim-bari-mohammad-irfan.png

When I called Wasim Bari about the attacks in Lahore, he told me that he was currently based at the NCA. So I asked him if he knew about Mohammad Irfan.

Bari said that he hadnt seen Irfan yet but had heard a lot about him, Bari said Irfan was one of the shortlisted developing cricketers in Pakistan and a lot of people were excited about his potential. Bari explained that someone with Irfan's height would get natural bounce off a good length which would make him hard to play anywhere.

Bari said that upon hearing about Irfan he had been reminded of a conversation that the late Bob Woolmer had with him when Bari was still Chief of Selectors. Woolmer had requested for Bari to try and get him tall fast bowlers to work with. Bari also pointed to the trend of modern teams looking towards and supporting the development of taller fast bowlers.

I then called up Mohammad Irfan himself. Irfan said he had been told that he needed to work on his physical fitness because he wasnt as strong as he needed to be for fast bowling. He said he was working hard and following the plans given to him by his coaches. He mentioned Saboor Ahmad as one of the coaches who was working with him, so I give Saboor a call.

Saboor said that there were only two things in Irfan's favour at the present time. One was his height and the other was that he can bowl a good line and length. Other than that Saboor said Irfan was weak in every area, he lacks swing, stamina and variety.

Saboor said that it could take between 4 to 6 months to make a proper assessment of Irfan's potential. He stressed that going forward from this point it was all on Irfan's shoulders. If he puts in the work then he could make it big otherwise Saboor doesnt hold out too much hope given Irfan's present level of ability and conditioning.

So it seems that Irfan is far from the half started article let alone the finished article. But then we knew he had a long way to go.

The jump from playing amateur cricket to becoming a professional is no easy feat. Aaqib said he has seen many try to bridge the gap and fail, I hope Irfan isnt one of them!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments