1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Batsmen played with negative approach - Afridi

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Apr 2, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    uploadfromtaptalk1396452232651.jpg

KARACHI: Shahid Afridi critcised the performance of Pakistani batsmen in their loss against the West Indies in yesterday’s (Tuesday) must-win match of the World T20.

The all-rounder returned to Pakistan on Wednesday evening and blamed the negative approach of the batsmen as the main factor which led to the team’s loss.

“I wanted our batsmen to play the entire tournament like they played against Australia.”

Referring to Pakistan’s boundary-less power play, Afridi said this was a first in history adding “this is not how cricket is played.”

In some words of encouragement, Afridi said there was nothing wrong with the squad, rather the boys just need to be 'taught how to fight.'

The 2009 champions were crushed by the West Indies on Tuesday night, sliding to an 84-run loss after appearing to panic at the start of their chase.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-143289-Batsmen-played-with-negative-approach:-Shahid-Afridi-

2. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    afridi odi's and t20's ka captain coming soon in a cricket ground near you...

3. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    not really, off the top of my head Umar Akmal and Maqsood were out trying to play attacking shots, Malik too I think. I dont even remember the Kamran or Hafeez dismissals?
    they were just clueless against good spin+scoreboard pressure

4. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    He is referring to biggest phattu in world cricket the ****tard Hafeez. He must have faced 2/3 off the PP without hitting the boundary.

5. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Know Malik was out stumped . He basically came down to defend it but the bowler threw it wide .Was a retarded shot .

6. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    maqsood wasnt negative just a bit clueless... the rest may have got out to attacking shots but the mindset throughout their innings wasnt too positive.

7. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Afridi was seen pissed in dugout especially when hafeez was blocking ball after ball :rofl

And then he clapped or kind of happy when maqsood hit that six.

Basically he meant that team was blocking blocking and then out to stupid shot..could have been much better if one guy was rotating strike and other went after bowlers.. Unfortunately Ahmed also got a very good delivery and from then onward Pakistan were on defensive.

8. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    they didnt study santokie... shehzad carried a very high back lift as if santokie was mitchell johnson or morne morkell going on a bouncer mania... that is why he was very late on bringing his bat down...

afridi was miffed and there was audio of him cussing out and saying kya (bleep) tuk tuk lagai howi hai... and he was seemingly ripping into moin khan as well later on (no audio this time around)...

9. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    I still cant understand why Malik was sent before him.

10. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
  11. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Afridi apparently also said something about lack of planning, and no encouragement of youngsters.

Directly pointing at Hafeez, Moin.

12. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I thought he belonged to Moins group.

Now he will be slaughtered for this and for being a motormouth.

Atleast someone cares .. I also heard shahzad was extremely distraught after the loss.. ehtesham do you know about that ?

13. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    Hafeez needs to do some soul searching..

14. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Ahmad had already made his mind that Santokie will only bowl slower ones, hence the high back lift...

The other day when an interviewer asked him about his struggle against spinners and how he'll cope with Narine and Badree, instead of admitting his weakness he said "when you face guys like Ajmal and Afridi in nets you are bound to do well against any spinner in the world" lol

You can never improve unless you admit you have a flaw, alas he's turning out to be Hafeez 2 in this regard.

15. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    I have a feeling it's at Hafeez. We saw his reactions from dressing room yesterday. Think he is disappointed because this could possibly be his last WT20 and he wanted to win.

16. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    thats what i alluded to after he made his century that instead of being humble he was being a shouda.... caught up to him perfectly didnt it... KARMA...

17. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Come on man.. You are too harsh at him sometimes.. You know he has improved his game alot and much more mature now..he will improve these weaknesses as well with time. He is only 21 man..

18. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010

yea coz now his HATERS/CRITICS that he was all chirpy about after the 100 are going to shove it back up his rear...

19. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    maturity and shehzad are a oxy moron right now... :(

game has improved... needs more almonds, and humble pie... thats all :thinking

20. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    What Shehzad needs to learn is to carry his form. I've seen three times already him scoring a hundred and then following it up with a duck. Otherwise he's done well.

21. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Btw i was right :lol

:clap

22. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    I dont get some of the posts. Im sure everyone wanted to win and cared.

23. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    ehtesham

@bhogleharsha: met a distraught ahmed shahzad back at the hotel. i wonder who can be a mentor to him and umar akmal. they are pakistan's brightest talents

24. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Yar I can't be a blind fan. I have always maintained he has it in him to be a great batsman, but having said that, his cockiness won't take him far. All great players are their biggest critics themselves and Shehzad lacks this trait big time. I have never seen him criticizing his own mistakes, he rather goes for lame excuses, which I'm afraid is enough to predict he can't achieve as much as he's actually destined to.

Kohli is cocky but you'll never see him going gaga over a century against big sides, let alone minnows. Ahmad needs to admit first that he sucks against spinners, only then he could learn #RestMyCase

25. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
  26. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Tracer Bullet

Feb 18, 2014
    Thing is right, with any forward planning, you would know Santokie's first few balls are booming Inswingers before he eventually, after an over so, begins to mix it up. Shehzad should have been aware of this.

We lost this game in the space of 6 overs. The last 4 overs of WI innings and then 2/2 in our first 2.

27. shahbaz

shahbaz Banned

Oct 4, 2012
    Ustad my heart has broken into million pieces..:(

28. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Afridi is right. They need to play their natural game and assert themselves. The way Akmal batted on Aussies pitches when only 19 shows he has all the game to become a good batsman. Needs guidance now. Shehzads 5 centuries in just the few games also shows how good an accumulator he can be if he taught some lessons to develop his game. I think these two and Fawad are the biggest batting talents Pak has right now. All are good fielders too.

29. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    cant just blame it on negativity when the top six lack the technical skills to cope with narine / badree. it was a combo of panic and lack of skill, you dont get dominated simply on the back of negativity. if pak had shown any sign of being able to chase the target it would be different.

they even screwed up in the warm up against SA and apart from shehzad and junior they even struggled against phattu bang pacers and aussies who did not prepare for these conditions.

8 overs, 3/50 against NZ spinners, 7 overs, 2/38 agnst saf spinners, 12 overs 3/63 agaisnt ind spinners, 11 overs 4/65 against bang spinners, 8 overs 6/47 against wi spinners.... total 46 overs, 18/263 against tried international spinners (excluding finch and hogg)

you can blame negativity all you want, but you cant fix the problem until you are honest about the causes. pak players lack the tecnique to attack international quality spinners how t20s demand.

30. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Afridi should have walked out the moment Akmal Junior got out.

31. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Banned

Feb 5, 2014
    I think they seen 160 and they lost their bottle. They lost before they even came on the pitch, thats the disappointing part.
    On top of that our batsmen are hit and miss at the best of times....and i use the term batsmen rather loosely.