Belligerent Lewis inspires West Indies to a win

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by hazharoon, Apr 1, 2017.

Belligerent Lewis inspires West Indies to a win

by Haroon Ahmed
Apr 1, 2017 at 8:36 PM
  1. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sarfaraz won the toss and unexpectedly chose to bat first. In his short stint as captain he’s generally decided to chase. The slow nature of the pitch demonstrated in the past t20 is probably the main factor behind his decision.

Once again Samuel Badree opened the bowling for the West Indies. He started with a rank full toss which was dispatched the boundary. His fortunes changed immediately as he took the wickets of Ahmed Shehzad and Imad Wasim in the same over. At 5-2 Pakistan were in huge trouble.

The third wicket partnership between cousins Kamran Akmal & Babar Azam put on 88 for the third wicket. The pair batted brilliantly together milking singles accompanied with the odd boundary.

After 10 overs Pakistan were 76-2 and in a prime position to launch with eight wickets in hand. The next five overs were disappointing with the team managing only 34 runs at the expense of two wickets, including the in-form Shoaib Malik.

The lack of power hitters at the death once again proved to be a huge issue for Pakistan as they only managed to put up 137. After the start they had they really should have scored more. The pitch I felt didn’t play as slow as the first game so free scoring wasn’t too difficult.

The West Indian innings started of slowly taking only 2 off the first over against Imad Wasim. Things turned worse when opener Chadwick Walton lost his wicket in the second over courtesy of a brilliant catch by Fakhar Zaman.

Samuels joined Lewis and once again started of well. The pair put pressure on the Pakistani bowlers and it was the first time in the series the West Indies batsmen looked in command. The partnership put on 56 for the second wicket and reduced the required run rate to 6.

Against the run of play Samuels lost his wicket to a cleverly disguised slower ball by his Peshawar Zalmi teammate, Wahab Riaz. In came newcomer Jason Mohammed who looked assured against the Pakistan spin attack. The partnership was key in taking the West Indies over the line making it 2-1.

The highlight of the day was left handed opener Lewis. The batsman hasn’t had much success against Pakistan, but today he put that right smashing 90 odd at a blistering rate. He looked at ease against all bowlers and his innings was reminiscent of his t20 100 against India where he bludgeoned the ball.

The most positive aspect from the West Indies perspective is the way they handled Shadab Khan. The spinner has tormented them throughout the series, but today they played him with conviction and he failed to make a mark, which one of the major reasons for the victory.

A lot has been made about the decision to promote Imad Wasim to number 3. I personally am fine with the move, as I believe in the t20 format you have to improvise at times. It didn’t work today but it might next time. The logic behind sending Imad was for him to counter Badree with him being a left-hander. The two issues I have with that is firstly, Fakhar Zaman is a top order batsman and he too is a left-hander so why wasn’t he preferred? Secondly, sending a left-hander in to counter left-arm spin is a good tactical move. Against a leg-spinner it might not work as the spinner has a googly, which defeats the purpose.

Pakistan has to come back stronger and assess the way they are going forward. The likes of Sohail Tanvir have continuously failed under pressure so I struggle to see why he is selected. His overall bowling statsitics in t20 are hardly inspiring taking less then 1 wicket per game. As well as this, the batting order has to be re-shuffled. Sarfaraz is a must in the middle order and he simply won’t work down the order.

In a way this loss may work as a positive for Pakistan. Even when they were winning I noticed glaring issues with the team composition. These losses may force them to fix them.

Player ratings

Ahmed Shehzad – 0.5

After hitting his first delivery for four I thought this might be Shehzad’s day. In his previous two innings he hasn’t made a significant total so this innings was very important for him. With 4 off his first ball he decided to dance down the track to Samuel Badree. As a batsman you have to understand your options against certain bowlers. Badree is not the kind of bowler you want to charge due to his quick pace. He skids the ball on making it difficult to advance to him. I felt is was a very poor option for Shehzad and he didn’t sum up the situation well.

Kamran Akmal 8/10

Without the gloves Kamran has to ensure he’s more consistent with the bat. The management has simplified his role and he is made to solely focus on his game with the bat. His innings today was outstanding. He like Shehzad hasn’t made a mark so far this series, but he certainly stood up today. In the previous few innings he hasn’t looked too comfortable against the spin of Badree, but today he took it on and it paid dividends.

Imad Wasim 4/10

Imad was sent in at number three yet failed to make a contribution. He couldn’t pick a googly delivered by Samuel Badree, he overbalanced and was subsequently stumped. I do feel we will see the best of Imad when he’s up the order, but maybe not at three. With the ball he was his usual self-restricting the batsmen to score freely, especially in his first two overs. His third over wasn’t the best getting hit for consecutive sixes. Teams are starting to work him out and he has to counter this by developing a delivery that actually spins.

Babar Azam 7.5/10

It was the third innings in a row Babar has scored 27 or more. In all three games he’s got starts but he’s failed to kick on and make a significant impact. I thought he played really well today in the partnership with Kamran Akmal. He wasn’t the aggressor in the partnership, but he played his part in ensuring in Pakistan reach a top total. After hitting a six, Babar played a very poor stroke. He should have continued on and it’s something stopping him from reaching the World-class level.

Shoaib Malik – 1/10

It was the first failure of the tour for Malik. He looked jittery at the crease ever since he arrived, playing four dot balls to Marlon Samuels. Today I felt he was fairly unlucky with his dismissal, possibly timing the ball to well to the fielder in the deep. I was surprised he didn’t get a chance to bowl in first two games. Today he was given a go yet failed to make a mark going for 11 from his first over.

Fakhar Zaman 3/10

With the debut nerves gone, I expected Zaman to bat a little more freely. Once again in an un-natural position, he started his innings against spin and immediately impressed slog sweeping for 6. In domestic cricket he’s generally batted brilliantly against spin, and it’s something he showed once again. His role today was to provide runs at the back end of the innings. It’s a job he’s not used to therefore I feel it’s tough to expect much. To get the most out of Fakhar, he must open the innings.

Sarfaraz Ahmed 4/10

Number 7 is not the position for Sarfaraz Ahmed. A number 7 batsman has to have a power game and this is an area Sarfaraz lacks. His ideal position is number 4/5, where he can rotate strike, something that comes natural to him. I like the way he has been selfless and let others have a go, but I personally feel he needs to take responsibility and come up the order. He is one of the best players of spin in World cricket.

Wahab Riaz 7/10

After a sensational knock in the previous game, it was a hero to zero moment for Wahab. He was promoted up the order after his exploits but failed to make a contribution batting at the death. In his main role as a bowler he managed to take a wicket in his first over of the dangerous Samuels. In his second over he found reverse and bowled a testing over against the firing Lewis. I felt Wahab looked in great touch with the ball and he was the only bowler to put up a fight.

Sohail Tanvir 0/10

Tanvir’s role in this team is that of a bowling all-rounder meaning he must provide runs at the death of the innings. Once again he failed to do so and it is a major concern. With the ball he went for 16 off his first two overs and really handed momentum to the West Indies. Time and time again he’s failed to stand up for Pakistan when it matters. At the death he was carted around the park, but it’s nothing new. We’ve seen this numerous times for the supposed ‘t20 expert’. As well as this, we saw several misfields from him. It’s time to move on.

Shadab Khan 2/10

The question on my mind before this game was ‘Can Shadab Khan do better?’ Judging by the amount of spin Badree got in the first innings, I felt Shadab would be licking his lips. For such a young man a lot of expectations have been placed on his shoulders, and sometimes that’s tough to deal with. After Pakistan made a low score, heads turned to Shadab to rescue the team. Today he couldn’t do it. It doesn’t make him a bad bowler. It’s all part of the learning experience. He dragged a lot of deliveries down today and hopefully it’s something he will learn from.

Hasan Ali 2/10

Being the only right-arm pacer in the team, Hasan provides variety in the attack. He came in to this game full of confidence after his brilliant final over in the second t20. His confidence was cut short after being hit for 12 in his first over. I felt he should have used his cutters a lot more today. In my view Hasan should be opening the bowling. He generates brilliant away swing but he can’t produce that as a first change bowler.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cricistani

Aug 31, 2011
      HOW DOES A GUY WHO MADE A DUCK AND BOWLED CRAP GET A 4 WHILE FAKHAR IN HIS SECOND GAME GETS A 3

LOOL
      KAMRAN SCORES AT A QUICKER RATE, GOT MORE RUNS AND GETS -5 LESS THAN BABAR.

Looks more like a favourite player list

2. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      It was meant to actually be 7.5 for Babar did it wrong.

Fakhar was rubbish today. Looked awful. Imad bowled his first two overs brilliantly.

3. maddgenius

maddgenius Cricistani

Oct 6, 2014
      Sarfaraz ko kis khushi main 4 mile hain?

4. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
      Lewis was unstoppable today. Won the game singlehandedly for WI.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Cricistani

Dec 11, 2010
      Shehzad - 1
      Kami - 7
      Imad - 3
      Babar - 4
      Malik - 1
      Fakhar - 3
      Sarfraz - 2
      Wahab - 5
      Tanvir - 2
      Shadab - 2
      Hasan - 2

So overall only 2 players really made a contribution of any sort (albeit average) and that was Kami and Wahab

6. Savak

Savak Cricistani

Feb 26, 2013
      Imad Wasim is a one dimensional bowler who has been figured out even by the west indies who play him with a straight bat.

I am sick and tired of the lack of work ethic and desire to improve, get out of their comfort zones as far as the Pakistani players are concerned.

By now Wasim should know that he will be toast if he does not look to vary the pace and spin the ball away from the right hander. I am pretty sure many experts and players would have told him but not a single sign of any improvement till now.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

7. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Shadab dragged a lot of balls down and wasn't getting much spin at all either surprisingly.

He's been their best bowler in the first two games and obviously will be carrying a lot of expectations now. Hopefully he can take it positively and move on and perform in the next game.

8. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2011
      They were picking Shadab's googly. Lets hope he is not a two match wonder.

9. s_h_a_f

Dec 26, 2011
      @hazharoon where is all the talunt you used to hype..at one point you said Pak will be as good as the dominant Aussie side LOL.

10. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cricistani

Aug 31, 2011
      I dont know I did not do the ratings haha

11. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      Are you not watching cricket at the moment?

Babar Azam was the main one. Look at how he's done.

Haris Sohail another one.

Umar Akmal will be back.

Shehzad has done brilliantly in domestic cricket and I guess he'll hv a good ODI tour.

Any more?

Which player have I ever been wrong about?

12. maddgenius

maddgenius Cricistani

Oct 6, 2014
      Umar Amin and Nasir Jamshed

13. s_h_a_f

Dec 26, 2011
      Most of them.

14. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      Amin I haven't really rated highly. Think he can do a job for us at opening maybe, but I've never pushed for his selection.

Jamshed at one point was a brilliant batsman. Was ruined when he was asked to lose weight all of a sudden. It ruined his balance and affected his pull shot(see his dismissals in AUS)

15. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      Name them :)

Akmal and Shehzad are around. Babar and Haris are our best batsmen.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
      This guy still wants Umar Akmal back, lol. He took a picture with him, may be that's why.

17. s_h_a_f

Dec 26, 2011
      Yes we all know Akmal/Shehzad are still around? Have they set the world alight? No. One can't even meet the required fitness standards.

Haris is FAR from amongst the best batsman- only Babar fits the bill & most of predicted he would.

18. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      Shehzad has been the best Pakistani batsman across both PSL's. He has outperformed every Pakistani batsman including Misbah, Hafeez, Shafiq.... mainstays in our team.

Umar failed a fitness test(yoyo) You shouldn't be using that to judge a cricketers fitness. Cricket fitness is a lot different. It is being able to score a day after you batted or bowled e.g. Misbah scoring a 100, and then see what he does the morning after.

19. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      Maybe

20. MNA

MNA Cricistani

Mar 11, 2015
      I am sorry but I am not too sure what you are trying to say? I just do not buy the idea a player can become crap all of a sudden by 'losing weight all of a sudden'?

How do you know how much weight did he lose over how long a period? as far as I can recall he did not look trim and sharp at all in the OZ at the time of World cup.

He was in fact discarded well before the World cup due to his poor performances and was only recalled at Misbah-ul-Haq's request.

I also have not heard how 'losing weight suddenly' will make someone lose his balance dramatically and mistime the pull shots, may I suggest that was just poor timing and mediocre form?

There is nothing wrong in rating a player when he is performing well, or even after a few failures. But after a while sometimes you just need to accept either your initial assessment was wrong or the player had a particularly purple patch that attracted a falsely positive opinion from you and that does not need to stay that way once reality eventually becomes more apparent.

Nav.

21. s_h_a_f

Dec 26, 2011
      You can't be serious..?

22. hazharoon

hazharoon Member

Mar 10, 2016
      Same thing happened with Maqsood.