Better OS: Mac or Windows?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Munna, Mar 9, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    The good ol' debate... which is the better OS or in other words which one do YOU prefer?

I started using Mac back in 2013 and never looked back on Windows though I still have to use it mostly at office.

I personally don't like the user interface of Windows of its last couple of versions.

Mac also has its own set of limitations like flexibility and compatibility with many devices, softwares, and games etc.

2. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    I've heard that once you go Mac you'll never want to go back to Windows, I believe this is true because since I got my iphone I've not look elsewhere

3. MNA

MNA Talented

Mar 11, 2015
    Once you go Mac, you never go back!

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Tracer Bullet

Nov 13, 2015
    I used Mac OS from 2014 to 2017. Nowadays have both, but using Windows. The MacBook got slow, hence switched to a windows laptop in 2017. I have added ram to that MacBook, and SSD storage as well, but the specs in my new windows laptop are way better, hence using windows nowadays and mostly.

I think Mac OS is more stable and reliable compared to Windows, but Windows is more flexible.

5. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Wrong. Check post number 4 :D

6. MNA

MNA Talented

Mar 11, 2015
    You are entitled to disagree with me, I cannot force you to be right.

7. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Oh.

8. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    This is the first time I'm seeing someone mentioning that macbook became slow. Don't know what you were doing on it lol... usually a RAM replacement after 2 years keeps its running as good as new.

Windows needs better specs because its a heavy software to run smooth so you can't compare it with specs of a macbook. Different creatures... as a matter of fact it should be a separate debate on hardware.
    Even a new low-end macbook runs very smooth and only lags when it comes to apps like media editing tools etc.

I used to have an Alienware until late 2013 with beast specs but within 2 yrs it became the victim of usual windows problems so switched to macbook for first time. Its been almost 5 yrs now and this machine is running as good as new and I haven't even considered changing it yet... which is unbelievable for me because I usually change my gadgets every 1 or 2 yrs.

But I do agree on the flexibility of Windows.

9. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Actually new OS updates with time take a toll on the Mac. I have mid 2012 MacBook Pro, it had 4GB ram, 512 hdd. Hence with the new updates with time, it got slow, it happens. But after I added extra ram, total 8GB, and SSD in place of hdd, it now feels like a 2018 macbook, lol.

10. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Mine is Pro with retina late 2013 edition and thats the time when they upped their game so its still running good (mashAllah)....

The only issue is with screen glass got a bit washed out recently but thats because my daughter became a little over efficient and decided to clean my laptop screen with a windows cleaner :confused:

11. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    aww so cute

12. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Talented

Apr 7, 2014
    I prefer Windows.

Especially Windows 10. You can do more and the UI looks better. It's also more intuitive, some stuff on MacOS makes you incredibly frustrated. For example compare light editing with paint vs preview. For some reason preview cancels half your drawing. Or the preview scrolling being hugely flawed. Yesterday I set a new wallpaper and then deleted the image, the wallpaper was gone. You have to keep the image on your macbook to keep the wallpaper?! No alt+F4 sucks. No delete button. The screenshotting and scanning app are better on Windows.

Also the right menu on Windows has everything you need, screen mirroring, bluetooth, battery saving etc... while the right menu on Mac has stocks and weather and notifications for some reason. Speaking of, Windows has Miracast and other wifi screen mirroring apps that work well while apple tries to make you buy Apple TV to do a fraction of that.

But I do like the trackpad swaps and everything you can do with force touch like previewing web page. Saves a lot of time. And the hardware is vastly superior, of course. As is the customer service. Just wish the software part would be better. Maybe MacOS was better 5-10 years ago but Windows kept improving, especially with Windows 10, while Apple's ui is a decade old at this point. And not very minimalist.

13. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    what about its undeniable updates, switched back to 8.1. Didn't want my head to explode, was middle of rendering when the message came that my system will restart in a few minutes

14. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Talented

Apr 7, 2014
    Yeah those suck. Does iOS have them?

15. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    Not forced like 10

16. abc_to_xyz

abc_to_xyz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 20, 2016
    Depends on the usage.
    For Gaming, its PC.
    For Graphic Design, its Mac.
    For Minor Video Making, its Mac.
    For Major Video/Film Rendering, its PC.
    For 3D Rendering/Animations, its PC.
    For Organizing Stuff, Its Mac
    For Programming and development, its a draw.

Since both are equal with their +ves and negatives, I'd go for Windows due to better price-ratio-features and freedom of SW/HW customizations.

17. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    For all the major and minor video processing, graphics designing, and animations, Mac wins it hands down and are known for it. All the major media companies, even graphics designers and visual fx for movies use macs

18. abc_to_xyz

abc_to_xyz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 20, 2016
    Not really! Both industry standard apps Premier and After Effects run better on windows. Apple's own Final Cut however does basic tasks faster than those on Mac. If anyone in industry using it, its because they are used to it plus they do not want to bother building windows PC.