Bowlers help Pakistan clinch victory against South Africa in rain-marred game

Discussion in 'Match Archive' started by Mukeshkr, Jun 7, 2017.

Bowlers help Pakistan clinch victory against South Africa in rain-marred game

by Mukeshkr
Jun 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM
  1. Mukeshkr

Mukeshkr Banned

Jul 27, 2016
    Untitled.png
    Under-fire Pakistan have produced a vastly improved display from their Champions Trophy opener to defeat South Africa by the Duckworth-Lewis method and breathe life into their campaign.

After being asked to bowl first, a rejuvenated Pakistani attack restricted the Proteas to 8-219 and their batsmen then reached 3-119 from 27 overs before rain ended the contest abruptly, the underdogs adjudged 19-run winners as the rain fell heavily upon the Edgbaston surface.

Hasan Ali was outstanding with three wickets – including perhaps the ball of the tournament to remove Wayne Parnell for a golden duck – as Sarfraz Ahmed's bowling group put together a clinical performance to go some way to restoring their country's pride after last Sunday's humiliating thrashing at the hands of neighbours India.

Parnell wasn't the only South African to suffer the indignity of a first-baller; captain AB de Villiers befell the same fate for the first time in his ODI career, chopping Mohammad Hafeez to point as the Proteas lost quick wickets at the top of the order.

David Miller played intelligently to make 75no from 104 deliveries and give his side a fighting chance, the batsman receiving commendable support from allrounder Chris Morris (28) and paceman Kagiso Rabada (26).

Imad Wasim (2-20) took two wickets and Mohammad Amir (0-50) bowled superbly without luck as Pakistan's quicks found some movement in the Birmingham air, causing problems aplenty for South Africa's batsmen.

In reply, Pakistan got off to a flying start thanks to debutant Fakhar Zaman (31 from 23), but the introduction of Morne Morkel (3-18) was telling, bringing the Proteas right back into the contest.

Babar Azam (31no) and Mohammad Hafeez (26) combined for a crucial stand and a quick-fire 16no from Shoaib Malik then ensure Pakistan were ahead when the heavens opened.

South Africa square off with India in their final group match, while Pakistan next face Sri Lanka, and all four sides will be desperate for a win in order to progress to the final four.

http://bit.ly/2r3igif

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Cricistani

Jun 10, 2011
      Gonna stay overcast for most of the day but chances of rain are quite less

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. Energy

Energy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2012
      Should bat first and Sarfaraz should open the innings with Azhar. Need to have one busy player at the top to reduce the dot balls.

3. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Won't be surprised if South Africa win the toss and bowl with overcast conditions and move it around as the players will fall like flies, lol.

4. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014

Man I gotta give it to you for being more critical than an average phuppo in each of your post... and that "lol" at the end is always just..subhanAllah ustaad ji!

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
      South Africa has always helped us when we used to get stuck. If i m not wrong. Ha ha. We are winning this.

6. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Rabada should be smashed. Leaks a lot of runs. Morkel is the only threat.

7. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Fakhar should smash right from ball one.

8. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Bat first or bowl first, i dont care. I only care about power hitting. We should smash right from ball one. Forget about rotation of strike. Just keep swinging the bat.

9. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Cricistani

Jun 18, 2012
      It would be criminal to think of us as anything other than underdogs going into this contest. We aren't expected to win, and that's fine. The brand of cricket we have been playing lately doesn't justify any other expectations. What I would like to see is forward thinking. A step in the right direction. Make the selections that will get us closest to playing the sort of cricket the other teams have been playing as of late.

I'd rather have that and a massive defeat than trying to stick to the outdated 90's cricket formula and not make any progress in terms of moving towards a more modern approach towards ODI cricket.

10. Fawad

Fawad Cricistani

Sep 1, 2010
      So, its you they've been listening to...

11. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Rotation of strike isn't that important in the modern era, compared to power hitting.

12. Fawad

Fawad Cricistani

Sep 1, 2010
      Rotation of strike is the difference between a 4/6 run over and a 10+ over. This isn't T20. If they go at it hard, they'll be all out for 150.

13. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      No I dont agree, sorry. In this era of flat tracks, with the intent of more power hitting compared to rotation of strike, I dont think they will be all out on 150 most of the times.

14. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      Are you srs ?

15. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Yes, dude. We should concentrate more on power hitting than rotation of strike. Power hitting can cover up many dot balls in a flash.

• Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
      • List
    16. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      Or we could rotate strike and punish the bad balls.

17. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      No. This theory is valid for 90s, where we had mix pitches. Even good balls can be hit easily nowadays because of flat tracks in limited overs cricket currently.

18. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      Good teams rotate strike even these days.

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      Will sarfraz survive against morkel and rabada ?? I know he was motm in worldcup match against SA but there he scored most of his runs against JP Duminy and AB Devilliers.

20. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      I haven't said not to rotate strike lol. I mean we should concentrate more on power hitting comparatively. If we have the power game, then dots won't matter much. The problem with us is that our batsmen consume dot balls and then can't make up for it, just because of their lack of intent of power hitting.

21. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      As usual you are being comical before start of the game and will start crying after the game. From one extreme to another.

22. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      This is the fact that Rabada leaks a lot runs. You will see that today , provided our batsmen don't give him over respect like they usually do.

23. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      Our batsmen consume dot balls not because they can't hit, but because they can't even find the gaps to take a single.... which is much easier to do in sachi muchi ki cricket. What you are suggesting is more suitable for book cricket I played in my childhood.

24. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Dedicated to someone :D

IMG_1117.JPG

25. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      That's why I said they should work on their power hitting skills and mindset.

26. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      Rabada is only a youngster and is already number one ranked bowler. Our batsmen are not any legends either. At least show some respect to your opponents. You are talking as if we have world class batsmen and Rabada is a nobody.

27. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      You dont have to be world class. I haven't disrespected Rabada, but this is the fact that he leaks a lot of runs, and we should capitalize on this.

28. Fawad

Fawad Cricistani

Sep 1, 2010
      SA win the toss and elect to BAT first.

29. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
      Damn, lost the toss.

SA win toss and bat first.

30. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Hasan Ali vs de Villiers would be an interesting contest.

31. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      Oh look, great we're flipping chasing...on a used pitch...against SA

Our chances of winning look great! Jeez

32. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Pray for rain after 50 overs of SA batting then :p

33. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Sarfraz Ahmed: "We would have liked to bat too. Two changes, Wahab and Shehzad not playing. Fakhar and Junaid came. Morale is high."

34. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      From Cricinfo

Raj: "SA making 300+, Pakistan all-out under 200!"

35. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      South Africa 320odd

Pakistan 170odd

36. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      It is called being "optimistic" :p And you just exaggerate that by saying it is in "each of your post".

37. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      lol start off with a wide

Start as you mean to go on

38. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      South Africa will be all out under 200.

39. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012