Bowlers unhappy with Sarfraz's criticism after Cape Town defeat: reports

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Jan 9, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    CAPE TOWN: Pakistan bowlers are reportedly unhappy with their skipper Sarfraz Ahmed’s criticism after Cape Town defeat.

Sarfraz, in his post-match conference on Sunday, had dumped the blame of defeat on the bowlers. “Our bowling was not up to the mark,” the captain had said. “Our bowling average speed was 130 (kilometres an hour), South Africa were bowling at 145. Our bowling was far better (in the first Test) in Centurion.”

Apart from being down on pace, Sarfraz had said the bowlers delivered too many loose balls to provide scoring opportunities for the South African batsmen.

According to team sources, the bowlers are unhappy with the criticism and are of the opinion that any wins the team has amassed till now is because of them. Sarfraz's comments regarding their performance were discouraging, the sources said.

The sources added that the team atmosphere has been unpleasant ever since the press conference.

In the meantime, rumours have been floating around that Sarfraz was considering stepping down as the national team captain. Sources in the team, however, refuted the reports.

South Africa defeated Pakistan by nine wickets in the second Test at Newlands. They also won the first Test in Centurion by six wickets and lead the three-match Test series 2-0.

The third and final Test starts in Johannesburg on Friday.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/224414-bo...razs-criticism-after-cape-town-defeat-reports

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Can you blame them? No.

3. Energy

Energy Whispering Death

Apr 22, 2012
    On a difficult wicket to let SA get over 400 is a crime. But needless to say its the batting that lost us the series.

4. Mo Iqbal

Mo Iqbal Youngsta Beauty

Dec 27, 2013
    No surprise the bowlers are upset.

Which retarded captain makes comments like that after a game were the batsmen also failed.

Who's genius idea was to play Yasir Shah. It will spin on Day 4 & 5. WTF you didn't get to day 4 on the previous tests.

He should resign as the test captain after the 3rd test. Play until the world cup with the board making a decision if he stays captain of the ODI or T20 team.

5. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    If they opted to go with 4 pacers, then things might, might have a bit different.

Sarfraz has a point (400+ was not acceptable on that pitch with uneven bounce), but the way he put it in the post match press conference was incorrect and anybody will take it in a wrong way.

6. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    If he steps down it would be blessing in disguise.

7. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Emerging Player

Sep 1, 2010
    Exactly my point on another thread

8. Sultan Yusuf

Sep 1, 2010
    They’re no better than him then. He had a point but shouldn’t have said it.

Similarly they have the right to be upset but shouldn’t have mentioned to their “sources” like cry babies

9. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah, 400+ on any pitch is way too much. And if it happens in SA against one of the most weakest SA batting unit than, something is wrong in bowling for sure.

Intensity and fire was missing in our bowling, but sarfraz's wording irked our bowlers and many fans.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  10. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    What's the disguise part? o_O

11. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Azhar Ali getting captaincy again

12. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    You lost the series in 6 days. It was a collective team failure. Singling out the bowlers is stupid but yes they did fail as well.

13. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Bowling wasnt upto the mark in that inning
    Only difference was that bowlers failed in 1 innings, whereas batters failed in all 4 innings.

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    It could go both ways.
    The counter argument is, if they can score 400+ runs on that pitch, then why couldn’t we on the same pitch?

Was their bowling better than ours or was their batting better than ours?

Perhaps the right answer is: Both.

If Sarfaraz had displayed some bravery and some wisdom then, instead of making the bowlers as scape goats and letting them down in the media, he should’ve rather taken it on himself by saying,

“My own captaincy was not up to the par. I made some wrong choices to assemble the squad to begin with. I took some wrong decisions during the match. And then, I failed to motivate and inspire my players.”

This is how a brave, wise and an honest leader takes it on his chest rather than hiding behind the bowlers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Sultan Yusuf

Sep 1, 2010
    ^^ name me one pak captain that has displayed that or said anything like it.

The alleged “messiah” Misbah never accepted his failures too - always blaming “no cricket in Pakistan since 2009 and the beaten down “we are rebuilding”

Reality is we actually are rebuilding right now with the retirement of Younis

16. Sultan Yusuf

Sep 1, 2010
    It’s about time someone said something to these ambition-less bowlers who’ve had it far too easy cruising at medium pace because of the chamcha mentality of worshipping mcgrath by most Pakistanis - we’ve spent the last 14 years trying to make every bowler in to a boring McGrath type.

The vegetarian Indians next door are bowling quicker than these lot. They should be ashamed of themselves.

The real Pakistan bowlers need to standup

17. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    @ShokoTolo_LoloMoto I hear you, but @Sultan Yusuf is also right, when will our captains start taking responsibility of their own actions? As you said why he didn't accept his own wrong decision on the field and form with the bat? Why he threw bowlers under the buss? Yes, he has a point, but the way he put it was wrong.

I think its habit of Pakistani captains to point figures at others without acknowledging their own mistakes - its really aggravating.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  18. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    Seriously, I never thought McGrath was even close to be an ideal bowler in Pakistani mindset. Our by-default standard is Wasim and Waqar. Some love Shoaib and others are fan of Imran.

But in your post, you stated something conflicting.

On one hand you are directly going after the bowler as if it's the bowler's personal fault that they bowl somewhat slow (perhaps in an effort to preserve themselves to cope with so much a cricket they have to play these days) - and then on the other hand, you are saying "WE" have spent the last 14 years trying to make every bowler into a boring McGrath.

Who is "we"?
    The fans? The coaches?

So whose fault is it? The bowlers', for listening to the coaches and/or fans and become mediocre?
    Or it's the coaches/fans's fault that we turned the potential Wasims and Waqars into Mcgrath?

And to make it even more complex, (even though I am not a great big fan of stats), it's our bowlers who are in the latest positive news, with Abbas in the top 10 test Ranking and Yasir Shah being the fastest 200 test wicket taker.

Fact of the matter is, it was a wishful thinking to imagine that this mediocre team under a very ordinary captain will do a whole lot different than what it did in those testing environment and against a good quality team.

with other factors, one of the main factor was the continuous failure of Zaman, Imam and the top order in general.
    Modern day cricket has been transformed into a game of batsmen. It's not 70's and 80's anymore where we can thump our chest for having a battery of pace bowlers.

Rules are bent to kill pace bowling - it's all a batsmen game now. You don't have good batsmen, your chances are less to create a solid winning history.

19. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    domestic teams invest heavily in these trundlers, go look at Wahab first class average and Irfan, Sami, Talha even Asad Rauf, Jabbar and few others if I’m coach and I want big pay day then I don’t need someone averaging 27, I’ll get guys who average 22 or 23 who are most likely trundlers and four bowlers averaging 27 as compared to 23 is disadvantage of 16 runs but the uneducated fan looks at these averages and thinks it’s alright we have got an army of bowlers waiting, to expose these bowlers or find their true quality just look at their list A average and economy, Haris Rauf is fast but needs work done on him as is Irshad but do they play FC? we are in similar situation as England but because English FC batsman are good the bowlers have a higher pace not by much but in between 133-138, Pakistan batsman in some FC teams have on par skills of a good tailender which is why the bowlers only need to operate between 120-134 kph, in intls they try and bowl fast like Waqas Maqsood and Mir Hamza, they can’t find that length but even then the max speed they get to is 134-137 average speed at 131 for Maqsood and 128 for Hamza who is the Richard Hadley of domestics lol and he got destroyed by a rubbish Australia batting line up.

20. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    who cares what's said in a presser - its just a string of scape goats and platitudes. no one is going to come out and say 'well im lumbered with a shit squad because our chief selector and head coach have less brain cells than a fart'.

he was right, the bowlers were terrible. its also right that the batting is terrible. everyone knows it, there are no excuses, who cares.

whatever he says, whether hes stating the obvious by blaming the batters and/or the bowlers, there is no excuse whatsoever for prima donna bowlers who perform once every five or ten games to whine to a source. if you're pissed off about it, respond in terms of performance like men, rather than snide whining like little girls.

pathetic.

21. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    looks like Sarfraz's public berating worked. although they didnt help themselves bowling loose dross for half the day.

if only he said the same about the batting...