Boxing Day Test Preview

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Nadeem, Dec 22, 2009.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Our bowlers seem to be in good form taking into consideration IDone (Ajmal) who has recently took 4 wickets during the tour match against Tasmania, however Umar Gul seems to be lost his touch of late, therefore I feel Rauf derseves his chance after performing in both warm up matches in New Zealand and Australia.

However our batting seems to be the biggest problem, without Younis and the poor form of Misbah will put our middle order under immense pressure. Lets hope I'm proven wrong but I can't see it being done. (Suprise me Pakistan)

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I can't stress strongly enough what a huge loss Younis is for the Pakistan team. He is the best TEST batsman that we currently have and he has the gritty, stick to the wicket fighter kind of quality that is invaluable in Australia.

For the first time in a long time I have almost no confidence in a Pakistani batting lineup. Post-ICL MoYo is a shadow of his former self, neither opener is worth a spot in the team and the 4th middle order bat (Malik, Faisal or Misbah) inspires no confidence in me whatsoever.

There are only 3 credible batsmen in this squad and they are Yousuf, Umar and Kamran. It's a bit too early to write Fawad off but he's repeatedly shown that he struggles to bat in foreign conditions. This isn't an insurmountable flaw and with more exposure overseas he could adapt quite well but a series against Australia isnt the place to be having an extended net session.

I think it says it all when a 17 year old bowler is our 4th most confidence inspiring batsman!!

Where is Yasir Hameed? What on earth were the selectors thinking in sending Misbah to replace Younis instead of Hameed. Hameed had a good series in Australia last time and is international class!!

All in all I'm not too confident about the opening test. We may be facing a weakened Aussie team but it's still an Aussie team with the same work ethic and never say die attitude that made them so invincible in the past. They wont lie down for anybody and our boys will have to sweat for every run or wicket that comes their way.

3. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I agree with the above and 2nd the thought that Hameed should have been sent in. I was a big fan of his and I believe if anyone has learned a lesson it would have to be Hameed who really hasn't been given a chance once he was dropped unlike Farhat and Salman Butt.

4. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I for one would have had Hameed in the squad considering his past record in Australia. I was outraged with the selection of both Fasial and Sami who to me don't deserve to be anywhere near the national team. My heart goes out to our fringe players who actually deserve a chance.

5. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    Merc, you forgot the almighty Farhat in your list ;) ! I do think Butt will perform decently, the usually cushioned middle order seems really thin though with the absence of Younis. Umer needs to put a higher price on his wicket in this series and not bat in t20 mode like the few times he did in New Zealand.

Wish we get Younis back as soon as possible; Bhanja will be a sitting duck against the likes of Johnson or even Bollinger.

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Younis just doesnt care enough anymore. In the finals of the domestic championship when he finally decided to show up, he failed miserably. True class is permanent but also true is the application of the class and the effort to maintain the persona by putting in the numbers that read the sublime requires effort. Talent will only go so far. Historical performances read exactly how they are, on paper, in the yesterday

It will only harder for him, with the levels of motivation getting churned out as the hour glass of time flows without delay without sympathy. It could just be, a successful comeback as a first drop, even in test matches, could be a quandary that best fits a harry potter read, gikiddy gikiddy

7. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    An unmotivated, miserably out of form Younis would still be a better choice than the likes of bhanja in my book. I still feel Younis will be playing in this test series at one point or another.

8. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    As we all know the first test is upon us, therefore I feel this team will be best suited for th MCG test.

Openers
    I.Farhat
    S.Butt

Middle Order
    S.Malik
    M.Yousuf
    M.Ul Haq
    U.Akmal
    K.Akmal

Bowlers
    M.Aameer
    M.Asif
    U.Gul
    D.Kaneria

Both batting and bowling pretty much picks itself, with the lack of competition within the batting department, Malik should get the nod considering his ability to bowl some spin.

9. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Farhat
    Butt
    Yousuf
    Umar
    Kamran
    Fawwad
    Aamer
    Rauf
    Asif
    Ajmal
    Kaneria
    --------------------------
    dont think Moyo and Inti would be able to put these team up, am sure 7 to 4 plus 1 keeper will be their strategy. Gul will be picked over Rauf despite Rauf taking wickets in the side matches he played and looking good. Misbah will be given chance over Fawwad ofcourse and Moyo is too senior to come in at three.

10. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    So.....how are we doing with injuries so far?