Brett Lee hails legendary Wasim Akram

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 19, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 2)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Former Australia pacer Brett Lee hailed the brilliance of Pakistan legend Wasim Akram, while recounting his interaction with former fast-bowler.

In an interview Lee remembered how Akram, while coaching the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) team, bamboozled the legendary South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis during a net session at the age of 43.

“He was our bowling coach for KKR and Jacques Kallis and I were having a net session here in India. The wicket was flat. I was running in and Jacques Kallis was hitting me out. I was bowling as fast as I can and he was going ‘bang’,” said Lee.

Lee also stated that Akram asked him to take the ball away from the batsman and try to take the outside edge.

“He told me to try and hold the ball this way and try to nick him off. I tried and he [Kallis] went bang,” he said.

The 42-year-old said that Akram then decided to take matters into his own hands and started bowling at the all-rounder.

“He goes right. He warms up. He is wearing sand shoes, not spikes. He warms up his shoulders,” he said. “So I am going to do this, bring three or four in and take one away and nick him off. He takes three or four steps and brings it in and Jacques plays it with a smile.”

The former pacer said that Akram was spot on in his assessment and took the edge on his fourth delivery.

“Fourth ball now he goes like right, now it’s time to turn the ball around. Turned it around like that. Nick. That’s a win. Wasim ‘bhai’ you are a legend,” he concluded.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/brett-lee-hails-legendary-wasim-akram

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    This is a perfect example of how to set up a batsmen. Wondering why our bowlers are unable to learn this from Wasim?

3. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    Nice story kinda reminds me of that one time Magrath explained his plans to the commentators and got a wicket like he said he would. It was in some domestic match I believe.

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    It comes with experience.

5. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Fair point, however, I believe our bowlers have been playing cricket consistently but still sometimes it feels like they're emulating a bowling machine. Go back to their bowling mark, run in only to get hit in different part of the ground - in WC Hassan had been doing this.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    You have got a point. I presume you are talking about Hassan either over pitching or bowling too short. I think it's more to do with confidence. He's never going to be a successful short pitch bowler ever because of his height. He was amazing in the PSL. He should analyse and find out what he did good then that's not happening now. Hassan will be a good bowler once he is able to seam the ball in and away on a good length. He's done it before. He should be able to do it.

7. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Wasim is a master of swing bowling. Unreal natural talent.

8. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Its come with a confidence in one ability and captain's trust.

Say a young bowler goes to the captain and say that I want a slip, then he bring the ball into the batsman, captain start to shout on the bowler remove the slips and place him on leg side.

Now will the bowler ever have confidence in himself or faith in captain ? No.

Hear so many stories where a bowler has ask Imran for advice and Imran say do what comes to you.

If bowler succeed he gains confidence and even if he fail he still gains captain's trust.

It is preferable to be Man of Understanding then to be a Man of Knowledge.