British Politics Thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by ElRaja, May 21, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    given the resident britpak population on cs thought it would be a good idea to have a politics thread to discuss general issues, esp with the local elections around the corner, the scottish independence referendum and general election in a years time.

could be interesting times esp given lib dems are now the fourth party and ukip expected to do really well in tomorrows election. would also like to see the political flavour of cs britpaks given the general assumption most desis are labour.

2. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    big news tonight, final opinion polls show ukip could attract the largest proportion of popular vote of all parties (ofcourse ukip voters are most likely to vote in euro elections)

and lib dems to be totally smashed.

sauce

3. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Voting UKIP tomorrow.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  4. Questioner

Questioner Talented

Jul 1, 2013

What's the reason behind that? Also could someone give an overview about policies of these different parties as i don't know much about them...

5. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Not voting. Don't really know what MEPs do so unsure as to why I would vote for one. Was tempted to vote for the SNP as every vote could boost morale for the referendum but the logistics of my situation today make it difficult.

6. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    I hope people vote UKIP and kick those nasty people out!

Labour:- War on Iraq
    Conservatives:- War on Syria

VOTE UKIP!

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  7. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    The i'm voting UKIP jokes got old years ago lads.

8. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Not a joke!

UKIP are the only party for the good of Britain! People won't even be speaking English in a few more years of LibLabCon

• List
  9. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    no postal vote? i rem when i was younger and not registered for postal votes my dad forced me to go down to the polling booth and vote. only good thing about going to the booth is if your name is on some random page they have to flip through all the pages to cross you off, get a pretty good idea of voter turn out, lols.

10. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Lol my dad tried that with me today.I had a lot of work to do so didnt go.I did some research and I am now worried about credit rating etc. Don't know what to do now.

11. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Nah I've really not paid any attention to the Euro elections. UKIP aren't that big of a force up here so I've not really read any of the coverage in the press, the majority of stories seem about UKIP etc.

No local council elections here, thats only in England and Wales.

12. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Gains for Labour but not as big as one would have expected unfortunately

UKIP (as expected) have made IMMENSE gains from where they were...but good news is that Tory and Lib Dem idiots have had big losses as meh lol (still can't believe some numpties voted Lib Dem in the last elections)

Saw/met Nigel Farrage once...seems a nice guy

But those saying 'vote UKIP' etc....big LOL. there's a reason why they got the least amount of votes from London which a UKIP candidate themselves said. The reason they didn't get votes here is because London is cultured, young and educated'...says it all

13. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    The same London who rejected Farage because of Propaganda by LibLabCon? Vote UKIP, fgs, before the country goes to the dogs. The only party that respects Pakistanis and other immigrants, and wants them to be economically upright, unlike other parties that want them to live on benefits! :D

14. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    great day for ukip, horrid fay for libdems, the tories will pbly begrudgingly accept this, labour will pbly not be happy under the surface. kinda amusing to have the nouveau ukip heartland on my preverbial door step, cant say im much surprised though given the visibility of the ukip support.

aside from the issues at hand, its pleasing to see a party can come out frm no where and create a presence on the national scene, would take that over the american political duopoly anyday.

ahh, that makes sense then. tbh i dont have much idea about the euro election either.

15. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Talented

Feb 5, 2014
    I really could not be motivated to vote. I was going to vote ukip butsome of farages previous remarks I found quite distasteful. I was a huge fan but comments like 'regulating beard lenght' were indicative of a much larger problem.

16. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    I have a question. Why do most Pakistanis abroad vote for Liberal parties like Labour, etc? When ironically, the same people support conservative parties (PTI, PML-N, JI) at home

17. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Stop trolling.

18. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    It's a valid question. Many posters on here support most conservative laws, but want to vote for Labour/Lib Dems abroad. Doesn't make sense, would expect more people to vote for "conservative" culture and Tories/UKIP, etc.

19. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Labour did okay IMO. Gained control of Redbridge council for the first time in 50 years for instance.

20. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Talented

Feb 5, 2014
    In the uk (although most parties now occupy that centre ground) parties like the conservatives were a little too right for most pakistanis and generally represented the white middle and upper classes. Pakistani migrants were bottom of the food chain and had no business voting for conservatives. So labours emphasis on the working class and it promotion of the welfare state probably struck a cord with pakistanis.

21. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't disagree that this is probably true, but Labour are also more open about other stuff, that most Pakistanis would never agree with, examples like homosexuality, adultery, etc, etc. How do most Pakistanis who would be horrified if such laws were passed here reconcile that thought process with voting Labour/Lib Dems?

22. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Gay marriage became legal under a conservative government and everybody is open about adultery lol.

23. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Well, a quick Google search reveals that the government's MP's voted against it, and it was Labour's support that let it be passed.

24. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    The Conservative leadership and PM himself supported it.

25. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    True but the law was championed by a conservative PM.

In the UK and most other secular societies religious laws etc aren't what motivate minorities to vote. Left wing parties have generally reached out to minority groups and religions whereas centre right or conservative parties are more opposed to concepts like multiculturalism and religious idendity. Also as the majority of us are working class we vote labour in line with what the working class of other ethnic groups.

You only need to compare right/left media. Read Guardian/Independent compared the telegraph/mail to see the difference in tone.

26. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    The point you raise is a good one though and one I have thought about too. It is however almost impossible to compare liberals in the UK to liberals in Pakistan. The definitions are very different because in Pakistan expressing some sort of nationalism and ultra religiousnsess is necessary for parties all across the spectrum.

27. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Talented

Feb 5, 2014
    Yeah but the con's also support homosexuality, so do the Libs etc. With that premise no one would ever vote. The best you can do is vote for those closet to your beliefs. Anyway, a lot of these elections are fought on a local level with pakistanis voting along 'i know that guy' lines.

28. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Talented

Feb 5, 2014
    The fag bill would have got through regardless. If not that time then another. It was the PM that championed gay marriage and he is the ultimate representation of the party. If MPs were that offended they would have revolted. PM's have been destroyed for a lot less.

29. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    I guess that's probably the reason, that Pakistanis vote for a party that's more friendly to them, than anything about morality, or any ideals. It makes sense, but Pakistanis doing the same back home are branded selfish.....

30. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    support conservative parties as opposed to..... the premise of your argument assumes voting in pakistan is on the basis of issue based politics when its mostly a presidential style personality contest(bhutto sr and jr, nawaz, imran, etc, etc). you cant compare pakistani political parties to british ones imo.

31. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    That's true for most illiterate people, but is it really true for most Brits supporting Pakistani parties?

32. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Not sure but Labour has all ways been the party of choice for Pakistanis here due to the fact if it wasn't for them most of us would still be in Pakistan.

33. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    its true for most people who vote in pakistani elections, from what i saw living in pak in the nineties (ive actively tried to avoid being subjected to pakistani political discourse for the past few years) all it is, is mudslinging, corruption accusations, grossly fanciful promises, pointless dharnas and a never ending production of masala chat shows.

the pakistani political scene is completely diff to that of the uk, hence it not surprising for people to vote in what are apparently non consistent patterns. when you can have marquee politicians use the term "yahoodi" as a slur to denegrate others on prime time tele, you can appreciate the different stage of evolution pakistani politics is in.

also you have to rem britpaks can happily vote with their ideas of ideological correctness as they do not have to suffer the consequences, when you have to live where you vote, practical considerations over rule ideological aspirations. i encourage britpaks to abstain from voting in pak elections for that reason.

• List
  34. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Europe lurches to the right. I must say that although it was inevitable I am still dismayed. Lib dems wiped out, if Clegg is a brave leader he should resign from Government claiming that he has listened to the people.

UKIP even got a seat in Scotland!

35. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    10% of the vote :p

Like I said, vote UKIP!

36. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    not surprising really, but given low turn out cant say much except that the lib dems are stuffed. still think tories will be non majority largest party at next election and will pbly have to deal with the lib dems again, ukip i would be surprised if they won more than 4 or 5 seats.

an eu referendum is pretty much a given now, which is a bit of a shame as it would have been better used as a bargaining tool to get more controls back to the uk

37. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Talented

Feb 5, 2014
    At the rate thelib dems are going there may not be much to bargain with.

38. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011

Good video,very informative.

• List
  39. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    newark didnt go to plan for the ukips, didnt manage to come close to tories whos incumbent mp resigned on corruption charges. one does get the feeling ukip may have peaked a bit too soon. interesting times ahead but even if they maintain current momentum, i dont see them winning more than a seat or two next year. lib dems came sixth, surprised clegg aint resigned yet.
    on another note less than a hundred days till scot referendum, please dont go ComradeVenom :p

40. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Strangely the debate seems to have fizzled out as the referendum gets closer. Neither side have made any convincing arguments but the Yes vote is still trailing the no vote in polls.

Ultimately it is a battle between Labour and the SNP as the Tories are hates in Scotland. Salmond is aiming for a debate with Cameron. The actual content of the debate is immaterial, if Cameron agrees to share a stage with Salmond then it will be a major victory for the nationalists. It will give Salmond a chance to appear as an equal with the PM and also allow him to engage in a slanging match that will allow him to air Scottish grievances against the Tories who will appear to be at the forefront of the better together campaign.

Cameron wisely is refusing to engage in this.