British Politics Thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by ElRaja, May 21, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    Gonna be a loonnng night this.

Exit polls wrong so far, L doing worse in L seats, C doing worse in C seats!

2. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Exciting and nervy times...did we indeed fight back against the Tory attacks...or are the exit polls trolling us AGAIN

3. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Spectacular campaign by Corbyn. Many doubted him during his leadership struggle and the sabotage by Blairite MPs but those that were impressed by him knew that he would come good.

This campaign showed just how well he could connect with ordinary voters and the way he has galvanised disenfranchised groups has been wonderful. Crucially it shows that the country still values leftist policies and the public embrace of Corbyn is the final nail in the coffin of Blairism.

However we should also recognise the fact that he was up against the weakest Prime Minister candidate that I have ever seen in my own history of following Global politics. Maybots refusal to debate and her librarian like manner just did not work in modern politics where social media and engagement with the public is crucial. Her robot like manner could probably be excused in the past but in todays world dominated by social media her gaffes were repeated over and over again while images of Corbyn addressing Jalsas and concerts confidently showed that the mainstream presses depiction of him as incompetent was false.

The MSM media tried its best to sabotage Corbyn from the minute he took up the leadership of the labour party. Almost instantly he was deemed unelectable. People who had never seen him speak assumed that he was incapable but he held firm and this electric campaign is a testament to just how good this man is!

Whatever the result Jezza is the peoples champ!

4. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012

Murdoch and his rags do not have the same sway over the public as he did previously. Big Victory against Fake News.

5. amirfanforlife

amirfanforlife Smooth Operator

Apr 19, 2012
    What a mess this has turned into lol.

6. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Summary
    1. Election ends in hung Parliament: Conservatives set for 319 seats, Labour 261
    2. Tories to form government with DUP to 'provide certainty' and keep country 'safe'
    3. Theresa May's government 'will carry on Brexit negotiations to existing timetable'
    4. Jeremy Corbyn hails Labour's 'incredible result' and calls for May to resign
    5. The Lib Dems' Tim Farron also calls on May to quit
    6. SNP will work with others to keep 'reckless' Tories out 'if at all possible'
    7. Paul Nuttall resigns as UKIP leader after the party won no seats
    8. Record number of female MPs

7. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    This coalition will last 3 months tops.

To give you people an idea as to the DUP....

1) Several of their MP's believe the Earth is 4000 years old
    2) They have publicly called homosexuality and homosexuals "abominations" and blocked gay marriage laws despite it being the will of the North.
    3) They have to this day very strong links with loyalist paramilitaries, who in fact helped campaign for them in this election. These same paramilitaries murdered someone last week in front of their 3 year old son and unlike the IRA are still very much operational.
    4) They are insanely bigoted against basically anything not British Protestant
    5) They ran the disastrous and corrupt RHI scheme, which has cost NI taxpayers half a billion pounds
    6) They basically started those infamous "fleg" protests back in 2013.

This is just the start. Gonna be hilarious watching the UK media finally pay attention to them as they normally ignore NI totally. Also completely exposes May's hypocrisy over Corbyn and his IRA "sympathies".

8. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    LOL WTF has just happened. We had headlines about Corbyn being a terrorist sympathiser and May was repeatedly calling a Labour coalition a coalition of chaos.

Now we have may forming a coalition with a party that has supported terrorism??!?!?!?!

The UK is honestly messed up. I expect no criticism by right wing press.

9. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    They're still involved with it mate. UDR,UVF etc all involved in campaigning for them, DUP made no effort to distance from it. DUP also rent offices from and therefore give money to people affiliated with these groups

About time the UK saw the mess that is the North.

10. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    I don't think right wingers like @ElRaja will worry too much about the skeletons in the DUP's closet if it means a hard Brexit.

11. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    It won't be a hard brexit if the DUP are involved though which is whats so funny.

They despise everything Irish but they know where the money comes from. They actually don't want a hard border on the island as it would cripple the NI economy (thousands of Irish people shop up North) so Brexit may actually be softer, ironically due to the arguably the most right wing hardline party in the UK

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Apologies for the language but what an absolute ****ing shambles.

13. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    The UK are going into arguably the most important negotiations in decades next week armed with

a) Conservatives who are stunned right now, May expected to resign and the Tory mandate essentially rejected by the UK electorate.
    b) DUP, half of whom believe the earth is 4000 years old and that doing anything on a Sunday is sinful.

Its actually hilarious in a sick, twisted way.

14. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    theyll be no hard brexit, the tories farked up massively in this campaign and unless the opposition turn to treacle shit no way in a month of sundays would there be a hard brexit.

dont expect may to last, this was one of the worst campaigns i think ive ever seen. would be surprised if succession talks havnt already started behind closed doors.

15. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    If May goes surely she would be the worst PM in history?

16. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    she didnt do enough to qualify, lol, certainly the worst campaign ive ever seen.

17. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    When do you think she will time it? i dont reckon it will be soon perhaps a year or so?

18. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    So May has gone to bed with....of all people, the.....DUP? Now who is sleeping with the terrorists and who is scrumbling to form dysfunctional and chaotic coalitions?

You could'nt have made it up, could you?

19. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    no idea, i think she'll try to cling on to power, but realistically she has shown shes not cut out for campaigning and winning an election and id be a bit surprised if the party tolerated her that long.

20. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    The silence from right wing media is deafening!

21. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Even today the Torygraph quoted May's close advisers' incompetence let 'a terrorist sympathiser get within an inch of 10 Downing Street'.

Guess what? The true terrorist sympathisers are currently having an orgy with the PM inside 10 Downing Street.

22. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    As much as I disagreed with Brexit it's happening and the only way for us to get the best deal is to back May to keep the talks going for a year or so before departing. I fear an instant removal will severely weaken our hand.

As much as it would give me joy to see her going I think for the sake of the country we need her in place for a bit.

Unless uncleJezza pulls a blinder.

btw aren't you from Hackney? Thoughts about Abbot increasing her margin despite her recent train wreck tv appearances? Is she hugely popular in the area?

23. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Unionist terrorists are an instrument of the British state in the same way that JUD and other groups are an arm of the Pakistani establishment.

Nobody is going to call them terrorists publicly. They were in cahoots with the establishment.

On a political level I'd never paid any attention to the DUP but since they are propping up the government i've done a bit of reading and they are certainly a bunch of crackpots.

Funny that the woman held responsible for the rise of the Tories in Scotland would be seen as a sinful lesbian by the very people now propping up her party in Westminster.

Politics is a funny old game.

24. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    We've got the Conservative Unionist Negotiating Team for Brexit.

If only we had a fitting acronym.....

25. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    No, she is and was always considered a massive joke, but labour could have put up a tube of tooth paste up as a candidate and it would have won Hackney. In the ten years I lived there I never saw a single tory canvasser, it's just not worth it for them.

26. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Make one of the foundations of your campaign how Corbyn 'was friendly towards the IRA terrorists' etc etc...

...end up wooing the DUP to prop up your government.

Oh the irony!

27. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Anyway, i expect elections against within the next 12 months and Labour will be in a MUCH stronger position to pounce on the badly wounded wolf.

We got rid of UKIP and their relevance on Thursday...but worry not, the Tories have given us DUP

28. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
  29. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Now time to reverse the Brexit and send the Tories back to the graveyard to sleep with Farage in the mud.

or else I am not coming back to the UK!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  30. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    lol how is that text talk @MNA :p

31. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    DUP were the party who travelled around NI during the Troubles and chained up childrens parks and swings and the like on Sundays as they deemed them blasphemous on Sundays.

They also voted against the Common Market due to some very, how shall we say, "interesting" beliefs...

[​IMG]

Lol, feel for @ElRaja. UK being ruled by a party more backwards than most even in Pakistan :p

32. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Not to mention DUP Assembly member Jim Wells publically calling for a ban on abortions granted in cases of rape and incest

I'm gonna enjoy this government as long as it lasts. You created the DUP now you gotta deal with em!

Question now is how low will the Tory's go to enter government with them i.e what will the DUP demand

33. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    The only reason you dislike the DUP is because theyre against the unification of Ireland and pro British :shrug

34. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Gonna add more info here for those curious about your proposed new government

- DUP Assembly Minister Jim Wells has publicly called on a ban on abortions given in cases of rape and incest. He has also claimed children raised by gay parents are at serious risk of being abused and neglected.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-28785234.html

- New DUP MP Sammy Wilson has been videotaped agreeing with calls for ethnic deportation

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35693195

He has also declared climate change to be "a con".

- Peter Robinson, former party leader with strong links to paramilitary activity, when quizzed on his wife's disgusting homophobic comments (ironic considering she slept with another man while married), replied "It wasn’t Iris Robinson who determined that homosexuality was an abomination, it was The Almighty. "

- The Ulster Resistance, terrorist group, has counted several prominent DUP members and ministers on its list over the years, including Peter Robinson

-
    - New DUP MP and potential government MP Gregory Campbell has publicly mocked the Irish language and refused to apologise for doing so. He's also probably the most bitter man I've ever seen

- Arlene Foster the DUP head presided over an energy scheme that actively profited businessmen and relations of DUP members to the tune of 500 million pounds at the taxpayers expense of course

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewa...entive_scandal

She also met with UDA (terrorist group) bosses two days after they carried out a murder two weeks ago,

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-35776873.html

- DUP Assembly Minister John Buchanan, has called on creationism to be taught in every school

- DUP Minister Edward Poots, believes and I quote, the planet is a “young earth” created just 4,000 years ago.

“You’re telling me that cosmic balls of dust gathered and there was an explosion. We’ve had lots of explosions in Northern Ireland and I’ve never seen anything come out of that that was good,” he told the Radio Times.

- They were the only major party in 1998 to oppose the Good Friday Agreement which brought peace to the region.

- Unconfirmed but I've read elsewhere some of the DUP's demands for entering government with May are..

a) Amnesty for British soldiers in NI, so any soldiers found guilty for their actions during the Troubles in NI (which tended to involve gunning down innocent men women and children ) cannot be prosecuted.

b) A review and potential hardening of UK abortion laws.

c) GB and NI Olympic team be renamed to the UK (lol)

And many more to come no doubt!

Remember guys, potential government party here! [​IMG] UK created this monster, time for them to finally see it and deal with it

35. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    They also called for the Torys to launch airstrikes on the Irish Republic lmao

[​IMG]

36. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Hard to keep up with the scandals being revealed in recent weeks, reminds me of John Major's government in the 1990s.

We've had allegations of sexual harassment in Westminster, cabinet divisions, undisclosed foreign visits by ministers and now there's Trouble in Paradise.

This issue disproportionately affects the UK given its Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories are involved. What will be the most troubling for PM May are the allegations around Lord Ashcroft who has been a long-time significant Tory donor. From the BBC:

37. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
  38. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    No second election in 2017 and so far it seems the Tory-DUP alliance is holding up.

Polls are still very tight with Labour and Conservative neck and neck.

UKIP are now looking for a fifth leader in the space of two years as Henry Bolton was sacked by his members.

39. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    worst period of politics i can remember. may is useless, corbyn is useless, the opposition is useless, the media is useless, everything is just so meh.....

also a rant of a political nature i guess, cant stand how stupid and sensitive society has become. too much group think and identitiy politics, what happened to individualism and free thought.

never thought id become one of those people who moans abt the good 'ol days, but when comedians like dave chapelle get derided by social justice warriors i feel im perhaps moving to the periphary of acceptable political views far faster than i ever though possible.

ehhhsssshhhhhh.

also hows life markhor, always good to see u around.

40. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Thanks, I always enjoy reading your posts even if we sit on the opposite sides of the river politically. Hope you're well ? Unfortunately I don't get a lot of spare time to post more often but I do try to chip in every now and then.

What dismays me about today's politics is how vicious its become. Maybe its always been like this but the internet gives a megaphone to the extremists and the trolls who are not interested in substantive discussion.

Provocateurs and con artists like Alex Jones and Paul Joseph Watson receive millions of hits but a guy like Sam Seder who discusses ACTUAL policy in a calm and intelligent way gets a few thousands.

I found that Rees Mogg incident in Bristol really saddening and a prome example of this viciousness. I disagree with JRM on 90% of issues but let him make his case !

I agree on May. As someone who works in healthcare I'm dismayed at the state of the NHS and the insane pressures frontline staff are under. A young person has little hope on getting on the property ladder whilst our education system lags behind many developed countries. Our productivity is woeful and real wages have fallen. Corbyn should be mauling her in the polls but its still tight.

Brexit is also sucking the air out of the discussion of everything else !