Butt has learnt his lesson, is a changed man - Aaqib Javed

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Feb 22, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    "It's nearly 10 years and he is done with his punishment," Aaqib said. "I strongly believe that he has learnt his lesson and is a changed man. He will never think about risking his career and would be the last person to think in that direction again. He has done well since his return and he is a skillful cricketer. He played enough cricket and was always there in the system making his name since his return. He led WAPDA, the Lahore region and has scored heavily."

"He was averaging over 55 and if someone has such an impressive average it can't be ignored," Aaqib said. "He was our first choice earlier but now being a second option he is a good option to fill the gap. I saw his domestic record, which has been prominent since his return.

"His stats are impressive and we needed a guy who can really anchor at No. 3. He has been amazing with his numbers and with maintaining his fitness. It wasn't a decision that took us a lot [of time] to think but it was more important to take every stakeholder on board. The best feature about Butt is his commitment to cricket. He is fit and is a utility cricketer with lots of experience."

Read more: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26052088/butt-learnt-lesson-changed-man-aaqib-javed

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    It was bound to happen sooner or later, had PCB not brought Amir back, hadn't they speed up process for his return, none of this would've happened. Rather than this messed up situation, PCB should've talked with all three that you can play domestic but will never play for Pakistan again ever.

Now the situation is, Butt and Asif have performed better than Amir in domestic and will put up their case for selection based on their performance. And on contrary, Amir has been below par so far since his return, but keep on getting leeway - story of Pakistan cricket.

3. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    even if you take out his criminal record, he is crap. what stats is Aqib looking at?

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    As @godzilla said, regardless of how good he is from now on. He was never a T20 batsman. He struggled with scoring in ODIs, what makes them think he will be a good pick for T20.

I'm sure he'll make one good score at some point and that's all anyone will talk about but just look at the last 2 innings and explain why he's there other than for name recognition and sifarish.

5. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    I have followed cricket properly since 1992. In those 26 odd years I have NEVER wanted anyone to fail as much as I have wanted Butt to fail in these last two games. Honestly there is no cricketer on earth who I hate as much as I hate him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  6. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Not sure who the bigger disgrace is. Salman Butt or Aaqib Javed as the HC here.

7. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Salman will never make it to the national team. That is enough good news for fans.
    Him making it as far as PSL is a big thing for him, should just concentrate on domestics and not think about a place for national side. He's way too old and tainted to be considered. There are so many more batsman worth investing in now

8. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    That means Butt has been given full license to play at sub 100 SR for as long as he's on the crease? How would you defend that? Anchor laana hai toh Haris Sohail ko laao jo Pakistan ke liye khelta hai.

Aaqib, as I've mentioned many times before, is a buddy man and reeks of nepotism. His stint with the UAE cricket team was also poor.

9. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    so much hate so much hate

10. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Agreed! As mentioned, hate him more than any other cricketer in the history of the sport.

11. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    hate is bad for health

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I don't hate him. I find it hard to hate anyone but I certainly dont like the fact that he's getting lucrative spots in teams that he doesn't have the talent for. Based just on his name value.

13. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Agree in life in general it is bad for the health but Butt is someone who I will never ever have to interact with or connect with on a personal basis so it is fine.

Anyway he has played two abysmal innings so far and hopefully that continues.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    That's a little harsh on Aaqib. He's always been very anti corruption or fixing. He's the one who more or less ruined his career by speaking out against fixing. Aaqib claimed that Wasim threatened to never let him play for Pakistan if he didn't get involved with fixing. Aaqib refused and he never played under Wasim again. I think he never played again.

Given that, the fact he is backing Butt makes me believe that Butt probably has changed and sincerely regrets the hubris of his youth. But even if that's true, he doesn't merit a spot in a T20 team as a first pick.

15. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    so you dont know him personally yet you hate him ?

16. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yes.

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

18. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yes indeed. My first post was responding to your point that hate is bad for the health- as Butt is someone I can hate from a distance and don't need to meet or interact with it won't impact my health.

I don't know him personally- I only know the things he did and lied about.

19. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Do you hate Wasim Akram?

20. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Very good question. I think Wasim gave enough back over the years for me to not hate him.

But I have said before that we missed a massive opportunity in the mid 1990s and if we had taken strong action then and banned the likes of Wasim for life, we wouldn't have seen what happened later.

21. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Butt never had the profile nor the charisma to turn things around the way Wasim did. Butt didn't enjoy the personality cult which meant Wasim's actions were immediately brushed under the carpet. Finally Butt never got the chance to come back and redeem himself leaving the game as a legend of not just Pakistan cricket but world cricket.

Wasim 'allegedly' did far worse, corrupted far more players and ruined careers of those who wouldn't play ball. I think it's time to let your hatred of Butt go. He was young, he was stupid and he thought he would never get caught. Plus unlike Wasim, there's no proof Butt ever worked to lose matches for Pakistan or underperform. Only that he tried to make money from incidentals like dot balls and no balls.

Wasim 'allegedly' threw games and deliberately underperformed, he was even accused of sitting out important games with made up injuries.

It's ok to dislike Butt and to not forgive him but I don't think hating him is equivalent to his deeds.

22. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Fair enough Merc. Certainly in the grand scheme of things I don't hate him but in cricketing terms- which is how I was talking- there isn't a cricketer who I hate as much as I hate him.

23. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I got that but even in cricketing terms he's no Wasim Akram or Saleem Malik. One could argue oathgate was worse in some ways than a few deliberate no balls and dot balls.

It's nearly been 10 years. Let it go yaar...

let-it-golet-it-go.jpg

24. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    haha!

Well I have let it go in that he has served his punishment and he is now free to go about his life and whatever he chooses to do I hope it works out for him. But I believe he shouldn't be allowed to make a living from cricket any more. He gave that up when he fixed.

25. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I don't think it's fair to continue to punish someone once they've served their time. Cricket is an ability based career, if he's good enough then he should play.

I do think Pakistan has been a little hypocritical in the sense that guys like Wasim, Butt, Asif and Aamer were all allowed to play again but Danish Kaneria hasn't played a game of cricket since he was implicated in spot fixing around 7 years ago.

26. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Totally agree. I think Kaneria has had it the hardest so far. Caught in domestic cricket and now banned for life whilst those caught in internationals are all back in domestics at least

27. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Agree re Kaneria. He has been treated very badly by PCB,