Can Maradonna's Argentina end the 24 year wait?

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by Mercenary, Mar 21, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Diego Armando Maradonna is the greatest footballer of all-time, at least to me he is.

In the 1986 World Cup, Argentina was a team of mainly average players and their only real advantage was the genius of Maradonna. I remember being glued to the TV screen, as a 9 year old, watching him weave his magic. Up till that point I'd only ever really watched England matches and I was more interested in playing football in the garden than watching it on the TV. But Maradonna made a fan out of me.

Because of that, Argentina's always been my second team after England and if England dont win the 2010 World Cup, I want Argentina to do it.

The current Argentinian squad is worlds apart from the one Maradonna was part of. They are spoilt for choice when it comes to attacking players and they boast names like Carlos Tevez, Gonzalo Higuain, Segio Aguero and the gifted Lionel Messi.

Ironically, this time around, Argentina's weakest link could well be Maradonna and his coaching style. I read a stat somewhere that he's tried over 100 players in just the last two years alone. That's unheard of in International football, the only other International team I can compare it to is Pakistan and their selection merry go round!!

But despite the above Maradonna brings a presence and an aura with him that could inspire his young charges to lift the cup. Do we have any other Argentina supporters here?

2. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    the talent is very much there, but coaching ability is not...Brazil will be 6 time World Champions this time round, I just hope my Italy can put up a good show.

3. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    With the likes of Messi, Agguero and Tevez upfront any team would have a good chance, however, for some reason Argentina have not been able to utalise this talent.

Why? Manager = Spud.