Can we beat Australia in the ODIs?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 20, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    This Pakistan team will be smarting from not only the whitewash in the Tests but also (perhaps moreso) from the snub by the IPL franchises.

If ever there was a time for them to discover their self-respect and be out to prove a point then this is it. Beating Australia in Australia in an ODI series would show the whole world that they deserve to be counted amongst the best cricketers in the world and that they really are 'box office'

Either that or they will go further into their shells and get thrashed 5-0 in the ODIs too. So what do you think will happen?

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Personally I dont think that we have a coach or a captain capable of waking the sleeping tigers in the Pakistan team. The need of the hour is someone like an Imran Khan or a Wasim Akram.

We need someone who can stand up in front of the team and get them fired up into a frenzy. But that will never happen as long as we have an 'Allah ki marzi' (however God wants it) captain and an 'aap ki marzi' (however you want it) coach.

Unfortunately I only see more defeats in the near future, I think the team just wants to get the next few weeks over with so that they can go home.

3. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I think we can beat them due to combination of things working well for us in shorter version of the game. I also disagree with Yousaf.

I believe he has taken more heat then he really deserves. I actually did watch most of cricket played within the three tests. He was very active in setting the fields right or wrong. Talking to his bowlers. Many times only when experts on TV were having a go at his placings he picked up wickets on those very spots.

It wasn't entirely his fault his team mates can't hold onto catches. When you give world class batsman one or more chances they will make you pay. Regardless how the field is at that point.

Then there are the Younis Khan fans who simply need a reason to blast any captain so Younis can come back. Frankly I never thought he was good captain or strong captain. His a walking wicket in ODI's and T20's regardless of his recent success.

Just because you always smile and talk doesn't make you a great captain. In my case I hated the smile on his face when walks in and walk out on duck with a smile still on his face.

If I can have anyone as Captain from this team. It would be Malik. Someone who has proved himself on the local scene. If given the authority Younis wanted or Yousaf wanted...I am sure Malik would have done better job.

They gave him no power and team full of seniors who openly asked for his job with fans more then happy to sit back and support such suggestions. Pathetic.

4. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    As for things that well work for us in the shorter versions of the game.

Unlike tests we do not have to bat for days and less chance of the opposition grabbing the chances we give them and making us pay big time.

We actually end up with better fielders in our ODI team. With Afridi, Younis and Malik bit more confident in our fielding which only gets better if the like of fawad player a further role.

Our bowling attack is definitely good enough to take wickets and keeps tight when opposition is trying to hit them out of the park instead of just waiting for the bad balls as in test cricket.

5. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Yousef himself has stated that the captaincy has affected he's batting during the test series, therefore I feel Younis who in my eyes is the only man capable of captaining Pakistan at the moment. We do lack a leader and it showed during the test series.

6. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    How can you expect a person who isn't respected by his team mates and more importantly left his team when it needed him the most in tests where he is actually good deserves another chance to be the captain?

Younis is free wicket in ODI's and if Captaincy can effect Yousaf it defintely mattered to Younis as well hasn't it already? Like little boy who throws his toys every time he doesn't get his way. I honestly don't want this baby to ever captain us again.

7. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm not fully aware of the situation with his team mates considering there are conflicting reports; however it does seem some players within the national team need to learn how to respect a captain. If you look at Imran Khan's captaincy period, there was a lot of unrest within the camp. Imran was given time to change the ways within the team, therefore he was able successfully captain the side. Younis on the other hand was pushed away by a grouping of players for a reason I do not know.

8. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Yes, our players definitely need to learn how to respect the captain. However I feel had Imran played now for Pakistan things would have been the same as they are for everyone else. I mean lets be realistic he was made to say goodbye to the team in the end.

Younis does not come across to me as a person who is mentally very strong. If others told him to chill out a bit didn't mean he had to quit at time when Pakistan needed him the most. I don't care about him being the captain. Had he been available there is very bit of chance the out come of the recent series could have been very different.

As for giving him the completely authority. I bet others can do well too if it meant they had no one to impress if they produced the results in the end. Right now its test by test basis or a series if your lucky.

Our captain doesn't even know he will be a captain when we actually start playing the ODI's. Who knows before the end of the ODI series he might even be dropped. That is PCB for you and the fans.

Who no longer are willing to give anyone any time. Tell a Captain. Long as your aggressive doesn't matter what form your in...produce the results over xx amount of series or years. You'll be fine and we might finally start seeing real changes.

9. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    They aren't amongst the best teams. So nothing to prove.

With a nonexistent captain, player politics, disunity etc. we dont stand a chance against a united and disciplined, even if less talented Australia.

Its the T20 format where we'll prove once again that we're the best. And IPL will get slapped in the face again.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    As much as it pains me to admit it, you're right Wasim.

We aren't one of the best teams in the world anymore, in fact since Inzi retired we're not even a team anymore.

11. mmkextreme_1

mmkextreme_1 Talented

Jan 20, 2010
    Let me just put this in simple plain words..and strait to the point perspective: No and No...and still NO! I really hope Pakistan prove me wrong..but I just don't see it

12. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    It pains me so much to see such a great player in fact a Pakistani legend of the game being rubbished by kids who have no idea what cricket is all about.

Yes, he wasn't everyones favorite captain but the facts are the team was united under him. We played some of our best cricket under him. Not only that he lead from the front. When he couldn't as he was out of form and favor after the early exit from the WC...everyone went after Inzi as if he was the only one responsible for our early exit.

Fans ones again showing how fragile they are. Calling him dictator to a Mullah to whatever just because the man had beard...some people no doubt are ashamed of their own being.

Anyway I would take Inzi over any of these guys any day.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    What those fans forget is that Pakistan cricket has always flourished under dictators like Imran, Wasim and Inzi.

14. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    That is because there has been no system in place. If there was any system, we wouldn't have required any dictators. Imran got results because he never allowed Player power to set in. As soon as he got a replacement, he would kick out the senior player. In our culture seniors kind of consider themselves above any authority. If we had a system in place, every person irrespective of his seniority would strive to perform according to the criteria so that he could maintain his place.

This is what Younis wanted. Sadly the PCB didn't allow it. He decided to quit.

15. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Engaging discussions here.

This will be a close series. Our player’s concentration span only lasts for short periods, hence 20/20 dominance. We do short flashes of genius play along with mediocrity.

It will be interesting to see how the 3 “leaders” interact. Yousaf, Younis and Afridi. If they all walk in the same direction, the team will do well.

We have the bowling attack to win this series. Look at the bowling options Asif, Aamer, Gul, Rana, Afridi, Ajmal.

16. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    Looking forward to the series.

Pakistan will be licking thier wounds after the hammering Australia handed to them in the tests.

If these men have any pride, they will come out guns blazing in the one days.

I agree with Kash, i believe we have the fire power, but do we have cohesive leadership?

17. MShah

MShah Youngsta Beauty

Jan 21, 2010
    I am sure we can do this to any one, but a team without a leader is like car without a driver which could turned in any direction. One most important factor forming the basis our failure is lack of abilities on part of captain, which at the moment is a person who is above age and don't have the control over his personal flaws; PCB has entrusted him with responsibilities to look after 15-17 stars at the same time. The second thing is the incorporation of incompetent staff at PCB, from top to bottom, and the support staff accompanying the team in Australia. Senior players must honestly evaluate their position and should leave some space for the young lot waiting outside. Young blood with mature heads should be given a chance at every level to improve our cricket to the expectation of diehearting nation.

Younus should be kept as Test Captain till one finds a wise head as at the moment he is the one; he should also change his thinking (Imran Khan) as he has to work alot to be like him. At ODI level Pakistani flame boy (SAK Afridi) should be given a chance as he is improving by day as leader...

Yup then we can beat any one........

18. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    +1

BTW, people only bash Inzi, and not Imran and Wasim, because Inzi was a defensive leader. Comparing him with Imran and Wasim is not fair to them sine Inzi didn't even have guts to face Aussies. Plus Inzi gave his friends a free ride like Razzaq and Akmal. Imran and Wasim were tacticians. Inzi had Arshad Khan as the super sub no matter who wins the toss and who bats first. Such was his tactical abilities.

Ofcourse nobody questions the match winner with the bat that he was. And I admit his dictatorship did get some results and we were probably better off then. But PCB has ruined any chances of us being a formidable team again anytime soon by letting player power get the best of our best leader, Younis.

19. AsifJKhan

AsifJKhan Youngsta Beauty

Jan 21, 2010
    Pakistan team is currently playing worse than street boys... the street boys fight among themselves... lie, cheat and do many things but when facing an adversary they fight like one .. sadly that spirit has been lacking in pakistan team ... visible only a few times in our more than 50 year playing history ...
    they lost the second test match from winning position and australia won it from loosing position and we had to be content with the thought that "its cricket anything can happen" .... certainly it happens and mostly against pakistan ... there have been very few instances that when we saw pakistan making it happen .. lots of psychobable ..
    pakistan can only beat australia if they pull their act together ... they need to play as a an binding group rather than individual stars ... otherwise pakistan team is doomed with the incompetent fools that they are currently playing with ... a little pressure and they are loosing all their steam ... Pakistan team should buckle up and say "it aint over till its over"
    Adios Amigos....

20. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Yeah. Thats why they're still going to play the ODI series even though Pakistan has already lost it.

21. AsifJKhan

AsifJKhan Youngsta Beauty

Jan 21, 2010
    Well Said

But you come across as a pessimistic to me ... already losing hope ...

There is a saying in Pashto "Da duz na makhkay ma mrraa"

i.e. 'Dont Die Before the Bullet is Fired" ....

22. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Too many times i have heard this, and have believed that "On our day" we can beat anyone. Well every dog has its day, so one oft time we do manage to spring surprises, not because we play to our potential, but also helped by the fact that the opposition is having an off day. Truth be told we are restricted talent wise. Heck we haven't been able to find a decent enough opening pair for God knows how many decades now. We are severely restricted in the batting department and the fielding department and on top of all, mentally we are vegetables. Plus we are egoistic pricks and every tom **** and harry who can string together a few decent scores starts dreaming and plotting about captaincy.

Lets be honest. At best we can talk about our bowling as being amongst the better ones in cricket. Other then that we suck at every aspect both on and off the field. We have a captain who is geared more towards propagating his religious ideologies rather then scoring runs or managing of the team. We have a fat and demented idiot for a coach, and any coach who tries to introduce a semblance of method ends in a pool of blood in the bathroom with a broken heart.

23. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    If there was ever a time to be pessimistic, it was after the Sydney test.

I dont even know why I still follow this team. They dont represent us.