Coronavirus declared pandemic by WHO

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Del, Jan 31, 2020.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    Actually he hasn't cried so far.... but how about you and I have a word in private and let me give you some of my own vaccination doze of RO-NA DHO-NA virus for every single one of your posts that I have been reading in this thread since the beginning but somehow you think nobody is watching you? Kabhi aao na khushboo laga ke quarantine mein...

2. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    Don't recall any rona dhona on my part and I don't dish out what I can't handle

3. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    Be ready to get infected with ROVID-20 if you don't wish to improve your posting around here.

4. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    ROVID?

5. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    RONA DHONA VIRUS 2020 ...

6. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    Imagine @pat ... you are stuck in DRS section infected with ROVID-20 for indefinite period just like the Pakistani students in Wuhan. And the government is not letting you back to post in any other sections.

7. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    you have to do what you have to do. guess calling out BS is considered worse than condoning/encouraging terrorism in some cirlces.

8. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    You want to derail this thread by bringing in a 3 year old post...unnecessarily? You want to highlight a poster for his past behavior here...unnecessarily? You want to spice up this thread for your own enjoyment over having a constructive discussion about an epidemic that has affected 80+ countries till date? You are concerned about someone else's condoning terrorism... how about you first condone the 3600 deaths due to this virus?

Its actually regretful to see what non-sense has been posted in a thread like this by some.

Forum moderators should not have such discussions with posters openly in threads... but I'm gonna break this norm with you. I don't know and care about your intentions or your posting on this forum.... I can take care of that with a click of a button here regardless, but I genuinely hope you as a person are not like your posts in real life.

9. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    People are panic buying toilet paper. People have gone crazy. It’s not a zombie outbreak ffs.

10. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Some supermarkets are now rationing goods. Bonkers.

11. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  12. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    This toilet paper bs is just another reason we should all just use bidets. Easier quicker and the next time a virus hits the morons can hoard something potentially useful like food or , preferably, beer.

13. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    The world has gone crazy with panic toilet roll buying. Absolute bonkers.

14. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Who the hell care for Toilet paper? LOL

15. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    I was gonna say masha’Allah brother until the last two words lol
    I tried to buy hand sanitizer the other day and it was marked up to £12 for 50ml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Yeah exactly. The media is making a fool out of everyone

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    @ASLI-PATHAN here the hand sanitizers are extinct loool

18. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Here in UAE still available but with high prices.

19. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Below is one of my posts in the Doctors.net.uk forum, a closed forum only for Doctors. Lot of medical jargon but I hope most of you will understand the gravity of this situation after reading this.

One consideration in any public health emergency is what will be the knock on effects?

We are talking about an infection with an R0 of at least 2, a major morbidity rate of 12%, a case fatality rate of 6% & zero herd immunity. Grasp the fact that exponential growth has resumed outside China, that new cases are running at 4,000 per day (11th doubling) & unless human behaviors change radically across the world then in 45 days time that will reach 1 million per day. It will infect at least half the world's population, & the CFR is likely to rise toward the 12% in areas that cannot provide care or where services are overwhelmed. For the planet that means some 250 million deaths & for the UK alone, approaching 2 million.

There will be domino effects as resources are depleted and other things cannot be dealt with. Shortages, recriminations & moral panics can cause civil unrest & opportunistic scapegoating can be exploited for grabs at power or territory.

For a supremely ironic example, the long-suffering Democratic Republic of Congo celebrated discharging its last Ebola patient this week, just in the nick of time as the money from the WHO had run out. Yesterday the DRC diagnosed its first case of SARS-2 infection. If that now goes rampant there the bank account is empty, all the PPE used & burnt.

I do not want to hear any more complacency. The virus has been 3 weeks ahead of every single response to date. We are standing beside an abyss & need to be proactive to avoid falling in.

20. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    @MNA will this virus survive 35C + temperatures? I don’t think so.

21. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    This is getting escalated quickly now. So much seems to have changed in a single day with WHO categorizing it as a pandemic and Tom Hanks testing positive.

238 positive cases reported in Qatar yesterday in a single day is esp alarming. It should be for neighboring gulf states at least.

UAE must be having the largest Irani population of the region and to think that only a little over dozen cases are identified so far here seems far from truth.

They closed down educational institutes last week only for 4 weeks, and now they are going to extend that until the end of academic year (June) as per reports. High level meetings are being conducted to work out how they should close down the government offices and allow most employees to work remotely from home.

Slowly but surely, it has started to become more serious than many people still in denial are thinking.

22. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Its a very complex subject and there have been scientific studies already into this.

We know the COVID19 can survive at least two weeks after drying at temperature and humidity conditions found in an air-conditioned environment. The virus is stable for 3 weeks at room temperature in a liquid environment but it is easily killed by heat at 56°C for 15 minutes.

This is a stable virus that may potentially be transmitted by indirect contact or fomites (non-living objects). These results may indicate that contaminated surfaces may play a major role in transmission of infection in the hospital and the community.

High temperature at high relative humidity has a synergistic effect on inactivation of SARS CoV viability while lower temperatures and low humidity support prolonged survival of virus on contaminated surfaces. The environmental conditions of countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand are thus not conducive to the prolonged survival of the virus. In countries such as Singapore and Hong Kong where there is a intensive use of air-conditioning, transmission largely occurred in well-air-conditioned environments such as hospitals or hotels. Further, a separate study has shown that during the epidemic, the risk of increased daily incidence of SARS was 18-fold higher in days with a lower air temperature than in days with a higher temperature in Hong Kong. It may also explain why Singapore, which is also in tropical area most of COVID infections occurred in the hospitals.

So in summary, high air temperature PLUS high humidity play a protective role. The Middle East has higher air temperatures but not that high humidity, also the virus is more likely to spread in places where air-conditioning is extensively used, putting Middle East at risk again. Additionally, the virus can spread via contaminated objects and surfaces, via faecal route as well as touch, and temperature primarily affects transmission via respiratory droplets.

Agree that hotter and more humid countries will potentially be lesser affected than others when comparing the sheer numbers of cases and deaths but the eventual relative impact and devastation might not be too different.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  23. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Kuwait is locking down from tomorrow.

24. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Everybody must lock down.

25. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    People were criticizing china but they knew the threat and they took the measures.

26. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Actually China did very well. They had it under control but now it is spreading like wild fire in other countries.

27. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    Nope. China ignored/obfuscated/swept it under the rug until it was not possible to do so the problem until it was not possible to do so.

A correct chinese response would have stopped this in the tracks. look at S korea. They stoped this thing cold without auoritarian non sense. Even there it is religious nutjobs who spread the virus.

28. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    i am not totally aware but it could be that they may have been careless initially but they took the charge anyway and really locked down everything.

29. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    i have 10 business colleagues in China and they told me the truth. China has not only put the most hold on the virus and taken it very seriously but also advising other countries on how to handle and contaminate it

30. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    You going to believe a Chinese man's words about his communist government?

31. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    No they did not. They only contained it once the cat was already out of the bag. They harassed and prosecuted whistle blower doctors and did not implement quarantine until at least three weeks after the news about a new SARS like virus had started to circulate. Such epidemics are extremely time critical and china missed this very important time window that had to be shut immediately given their record of dealing with past viral threats, still they were more concerned and focused about gagging their own doctors and ignoring their concerns, banning their citizens’ social media accounts and censoring the media all in vain attempts to protect their economy and global reputation.

32. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
  33. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    yes and thats why thousands of people are dying allover the world including many thousands of their own citizens. We are talking about potentially a million deaths by the time the dust settles down. We haven’t seen the worse of it yet.

34. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    80k affected in China
    63k recoverred
    3k dead

@Munna

35. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  36. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    A million?????

37. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012

^ absolutely disgusting behaviour by the Arabs. This is incredibly inhuman and insulting.

38. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    You are very naive. From an epidemiological view point, for every one case reported or detected, there are 20 undiagnosed cases in the community.

As far as death rate is concerned, wait till end of 2020.

39. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    conservative estimate.

wait for a few months.

40. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015