Didn't retire from Tests out of fear of facing Steyn, says Hafeez

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Dec 11, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    LAHORE: Veteran all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez has rejected the rumours surrounding his retirement from Test cricket, clarifying that he did not retire from Tests out of fear of facing South Africa's Dale Steyn in the upcoming tour.

Speaking to Geo News Hafeez said, “I did not retire from Test cricket because I was not performing. I retired from Test cricket because of personal reasons.”

“I have achieved many milestones in my career and there were no other milestones left for me to play for,” Hafeez said, adding, "I want to focus on white ball cricket from now on.”

Responding to a question, the 38-year-old said, “People think that I am afraid of South Africa's playing conditions and [Dale] Steyn and [Kagiso] Rabada.”

“I have to face these bowlers in one-day cricket also. I will answer these statements with my performance."

Turning to the subject of Lahore Qalandars whom he will be leading in the next edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), Hafeez said, “Qalandars have entrusted me with a huge responsibility. I will do my best with the help of the players and management.”

Praising the Qalandars for their work in finding new talent, the former captain said, “Qalandars have done great work with the players' development programme.”

“Our [Lahore Qalandars] aim is now to win matches in PSL. We have a good combination of players, especially AB de Villiers who is a world-class player,” Hafeez said.

“The best thing is we are trying to convince de Villiers to play the full length of the tournament. If that happens we will get to see him in action in Pakistan also.”

https://www.geo.tv/latest/221459-didnt-retire-from-tests-out-of-fear-of-facing-steyn-says-hafeez

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    what else do u expect him to say.

3. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    The most hilarious part of the interview is this gem:

I have achieved many milestones in my career and there were no other milestones left for me to play for,” Hafeez said.

:D

4. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  5. Mo Iqbal

Mo Iqbal Youngsta Beauty

Dec 27, 2013
    What milestone? Is here for real.

Shouldn't be picked in white ball cricket unless he is willing to bat at no 5 or 6.

Also a poor captain, another poor season in the making for LQ.

6. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Chor ki Dharee mai tenka.

7. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    The best Pakistani opener after Saeed Anwar, and the best all rounder we've had after Imran in LOI's (Afridi, don't make me laugh)

8. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Of course he didn't retire in fear if Steyn or SA conditions, silly things to suggest.

He retired because he is bakwaas against anyone in any/all conditions.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Ok, so if this was your intentions then why you didn't retire prior to recently concluded UAE series against NZ?

Had you announced it before, a deserving player might had his chance in comparatively easier conditions to make debut.

10. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    I think it’s quite obvious he did retire because he was afraid of facing Steyn, any sane person would have done the same.

Lol.

11. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Was a waste to include him against NZ instead of giving the opportunity to youngsters who will now have to come in cold and play in SA.

12. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Fifteen matches prior to world cup are important: Hafeez

Pakistan’s veteran all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez said that Pakistan have to perform well in coming series to get themselves strong enough prior to an all-important world cup scheduled from May 30 to July 14 in June in England and Wales.

Hafeez while talking to the media said that Pakistan needs to prepare strongly for the world cup in order to achieve worthy results for the cricket fans in the country.

“The world cup is not too far and next fifteen ODI matches are really important for us,” said Hafeez who coined England as a lucky venue for Pakistan.

Hafeez, who took retirement from test cricket just a few days ago, is hopeful for Pakistan to compete strongly against South Africa in test series.

“I am really looking forward to Pakistan to achieve good results against Protease in test series,” he said.

He added that Pakistan’s bowling line is strong enough to beat South African batsmen but our batsmen need some confidence to exhibit some good performances.

“Our team have all ingredients either in batting or bowling now they all need to go in the ground with confidence,” said Hafeez.

It is pertinent to mention here that Pakistan will play South Africa in three-match test series starting from December 26 at SuperSport Park, South Africa.

https://arysports.tv/fifteen-matches-prior-world-cup-important-hafeez/