1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Do you play cricket?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by s_h_a_f, Apr 8, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    So we have put a team together & joined a local club- our first time mind you. First fixture is on Apr 20th. Should be fun :)

Anyone else here part of a club?

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    i dont play now but used to back in high school days in the playground - fast bowler. Good times.

3. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    said no other Pakistani ever lol

4. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    I do, indeed. Play for a club side and the uni side. Have my first friendly match on Sunday.

5. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    man like akhtar

6. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    I knew's to play street cricket (heh I was crap) and currently I play garden cricket with my brothers. I'm bit n bobs of an broken all-rounder #Kallis!

7. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    I playing club,uni and street cricket but now I feeling it's not a good habit

8. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    this thread has probably been done countless times Im guessing
    played county cricket at youth level. eventually stopped playing quite young due to a back injury(spondylolisthesis)
    hope you enjoy the games s_h_a_f - playing cricket has certainly provided me with many many good memories, not least setting up a club with friends/brothers where we played in a league for a few years, fun times.

9. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    played enough cricket at Premier/Div 1 level... currently warming up for a new season... inshallah this season goes through without injuries...

10. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
  11. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    s_h_a_f is asking about real cricket not international cricket captain. :fp :shrug

12. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    Lol, I tagged SNS because I know he's played quite a bit of cricket in leagues etc

13. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Back in high school. I was left arm fast like my hero Wasim, but more wayward than the lovechild of Sami/Wahab and Shaun Tait.

14. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Here is a pic of me in the nets. Btw, I am not much of a batsman- alot of improvement is needed. I'll see if I can upload a video.

[​IMG]

15. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    What number do you bat for your team, s_h_a_f?

16. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Normally 7-9. But there is talk of moving me in the middle.

17. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Or maybe they are conspiring to remove you from the team...

Joking aside, what do you bowl?

18. Reverse Swing

Reverse Swing Talented

Jul 30, 2013
    Yeah, I play international cricket in my spare time.

19. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, in fact, I've batted with the man on my avatar on occasion as well. After Nido and ehtesham told me about my need for Milo, I turned my international career around and grew a moustache

20. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Shahid bhai?

21. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Just from the pic I can tell your head movement isn't right .Your head needs to stay still and straight . Either that or the pic doesn't do justice .

22. Reverse Swing

Reverse Swing Talented

Jul 30, 2013

By spare time...I meant dreams.

I wouldn't mind being even half as good as the 3/4 year old in my avatar tbh.

23. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Street cricket mainly, school college cricket was way too easy. I'll never get my old days back and that makes me very sad.

Never knew that overweight or even obese guys could bowl really quick with a good long run.

24. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    I play for a local club nowadays (at the Under-17 level), and have done so for the past two seasons (although it is a different club this season).

My primary role is (or should actually be) a wicket-keeping off-spinner but because of the annoying nature of my two previous captains, I was only given the ball around 4 times (8 overs in total) in two seasons of games - despite acquiring 5 wickets in those same overs. I'll shed more light on it if anyone wants to read - it was infuriating given how the rest of the attack used to be dispatched in every single game (that club never won a game for those two consecutive seasons).

Hopefully though, I'll finally be able to bowl properly this season and given a fair chance at batting too (even though I never bowled, I batted at #8/#9 for the majority of the games).

I've also played tape-ball cricket a huge amount - and I mean a colossal amount! Day in, day out, in spring, the summer and autumn since around the age of 10. Last year I hit a huge six whilst playing - 75m, which is no lie either!

That said, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to play tape-ball cricket for - local Pakistani residents don't exactly appreciate teenagers playing like Afridi close to their gardens (and thus windows). Besides, I've moved house and don't live near the area that was surrounded by terraced housing anymore - which means no more tape-ball cricket until at least Ramadan, if ever.

25. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Ah I can relate. Except I bowl fast medium but apart from that.

I haven't played for an amazingly long time (since Sept 2012) considering there was a time when I couldn't get enough of it, even during Ramadan while fasting. Mostly tape ball of course but a bit of school/club games

I like the Abdul-Razzaq role model, late order hitting (same stance, bat swing etc too) and nipping the ball about, mostly inswing but also the one that moves away. It's been a very cold winter in Canada, and long (it snowed yesterday) but InshaAllah when summer comes I'll put on the boots again after a looong time.

26. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Tape-ball cricket is best form of cricket to be honest. Those prodigiously spinning off-spinners, the batsmen bamboozled through the gate, the immense sixes - nothing can beat the feeling. I would even try to hit cover drives too - I am perhaps the only one to do so.

For some reason too, when everybody else would chicken away with "I'm too tired/I'm too thirsty" and resort to bowling half-track spinners and absolute dollies, I would become energised during Ramadan. I would give up the off-spinners for the majority of time and begin hurling bouncers.

Bro, you should start playing again. Nothing can beat the feeling of playing cricket (my first corky-ball game is in approximately a couple of weeks).

27. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    What tape do you use for taping the ball ?
    I can't find the right type of tape it never seems to be the right one .

28. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Use electrical/insulation tape - Wickes is probably the best at the cheapest price.

I'll upload a thread of how to produce a durable tape-ball shortly.

29. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Just came back an hour ago playing cricket.

30. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Same here - apart from it was two hours ago.

It was only training in the outdoor nets though.

31. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Played for a club as well, but I only turned up on match days and tournaments and never on practice sessions so in the end they told me to turn up on practice sessions or else I would not be able to play lol.

I dropped it altogether.

32. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Lol exactly the same .I was mates with the captain so that helped. I need to find a club this summer .

33. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
  34. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
  35. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks bro I will order a few .

36. SOPL

SOPL Talented