Do you watch Pakistani dramas?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by CricketFan96, Apr 8, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    #EnergyThePlaya

2. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Ironic coming from Farkhanda

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011

sharam karo ab bhi dramay dhektay ho

4. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    main toh dekhta hun, tum toh dekhti ho :shrug

5. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    She is classy.

On topic: Humsafar was worth the hype imo, all three lead characters did justice to their roles.

6. TM Riddle

TM Riddle Smooth Operator

Feb 2, 2013
    I m as shareef as they come

7. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    My family is, safe to say, hooked onto these Pakistani dramas and slowly but surely, I have become too! I only watch them passively to an extent but I know pretty much all of the lead characters in most of the dramas, whether it be Kankar or Humsafar.

Despite making quite a few disparaging comments of these dramas initially, especially after having seen my family obsessed with trashy Indian dramas for so long, I have grown to like these dramas. A lot of the plotlines revolve around the troubles of marriage in Pakistani society, especially from the perspective of the wife, and there is a lot of truth held within these dramas in regards to women forced to be silent/bear the brunt of domestic abuse for the preservation of their family's izzat. I do tend to find myself silently cussing and clenching my fists in anger at the lack of respect shown by some husbands to their wives and women in general.

All in all, these dramas are far better than the useless dramas produced nonstop by the Indian film industry, where apparently the ordinary people these dramas are supposed to represent reside in grandiose households seemingly passed down from the time of the Mughals and whom live lavish lifestyles with, I assume, chalices as lotas. The focal storylines in Indian dramas are apparently either black magic or random possessions.

8. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    I've watched Humsafar and Zindagi Gulzar Hai, that's about it from the recent ones. Back in the days I used to watch Meri Adhoori Mohabbat, Tere Pehlo Main and Mehndi. :lol Not watching any at the moment though.

9. Reverse Swing

Reverse Swing Talented

Jul 30, 2013
    Worst drama in the history of Pakistani dramas. They tried to bring the Indian-style dramas and thankfully they eventually failed.

10. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Initially it was good, but it got worse as it progressed. How many years did it go on for? I don't think I watched it for more than 6/7 months.

11. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    pak dramas used to be good, but i find contemporary pakistani dramas patronising and preachy.

nearly every drama over the past few years (havnt watched any with interest for a few years now) can be distilled into poor crest fallen characters relying on their faith to survive some ordeal whilst the usually rich and overtly immoral characters pay the price for their hubris and illusions of infallibility.

also there is an increasing trend of aspirationalising (if thats a word) societal gender hypocracies, the good woman is patient, subserviant to her husband and his families needs, willing to sacrifice her desires for the sake of familial cohesion, etc, etc, whereas all male indiscretions are results of inherent weakneses either exploited or encouraged by the bad women.

i know im generalising but this is the vybe ive got recently, im sure there are some good dramas out there, but sometimes as a viewer i want to seduced by the dark side, i want to be challenged to maintain my idea of right and wrong in a world of grey, eventually all this milestone moralising just grates on me.

#rantover

12. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Its all about love bullshit and family fights nowadays.. I wonder how people can waste so much time on dramas nowadays.. unless you are ehtesham

13. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011

Its better to watch dramas than Go Diego Go :shrug

14. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Thought Bashar Momin would be more about the Don BM and him striking fear into people's minds and all that, but it turned out to be a typical Pakistani love drama thing.

Disappointed.

15. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    I've got a quite a few on my Sky+ but have been going one at a time as its Zindagi Gulzar Hai at the moment.

16. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Where have you reached upto?

17. Inner_Swing

Inner_Swing Banned

Oct 28, 2014
    Pakistani drama's used to have elegance in them, now it's all about love stories.

18. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Last week it was Epsiode 15.

I know what it's all about anyway!

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Omar payaan bus kardo ye dramay.. umar hugaee aap ki..ab Allah Allah kia karo :shrug

20. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Zindagi Gulzar hai, yeh ishq ka darbar hai. Kisi ke ghum ko bantna hi pyaar hai...

21. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    CS is dramatic enough for me

22. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Pakistan cricket team and liverpool fan doesnt nees any more dramas.

23. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    This is nothing yaar...you should see the american sports teams i follow :fp

24. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

Thank God. Arsenal and Pakistan are enough for me.

25. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Sharam magar tum ko aati nahi

26. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    How come they are dressed like it is a wedding 24/7 in these dramas?

27. Questioner

Questioner Talented

Jul 1, 2013
    What made them different to the current dramas?

28. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012

You should then watch Mera Saeein and Tair-e-Lahooti. It's all about the Don there. Pasha was amazing in Tair-e-Lahooti.

29. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

If I am gonna watch one then I want something different. Not like the usual love drama thing they serve. Its a long wait for Hannibal S3 :shrug

30. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012

A little bit love is in every drama my friend otherwise the females would not watch lool.

The least love scenes were in Mera Saeein 2, but Mera Saeein 1 did better in general. In Mera Saeein 2 the evil lives forever lol. In Tair-e-Lahoti the lead is a Don/Mafia and Fahad Mustafa did justice to the character. I am sure you'll fall in love with his character in the drama. The only negative being that it revolves around a family who are in trouble because of this mafia/don.

31. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    maybe i was just younger and less critical, but objectively there was far more variety. i rem watching historical dramas too, about jinnah and tipu sultan, etc. some dramas were about tribal people, just general variety. also they werent afraid to show something from the "wrong" side, i rem a drama called moorat about a transvistite guy trying to go straight.

32. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Also, with time your priorities are changed. You cant be asked to wait for a week for next episode and then spend an hour or two on watching some crap stuff on daily basis.. ( not to forget all the ads between those dramas ), at the most you can watch a movie every now and then..but following a drama series for 3/4 months..really a big ask.

33. Jazba

Jazba Youngsta Beauty

Oct 30, 2014
    Pakistani dramas portray the elite class way too much. You don't see quality dramas like Din, Alpha Bravo Charlie, Angan Terha anymore. There is one on Hum Tv on air nowadays. It's called Shanakht. The story revolves around modern Pakistanis who look down upon folks that wear a hijab or have a beard.

34. karachigirl

karachigirl Tracer Bullet

Sep 6, 2011
    I can't stop obsessing over Sadqay Tumhare. Mark my works, its gonna be big. Very big.
    <3 Mahira Khan and Adnan Malik <3

35. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    It is already big. :)

The writer of this drama, Khalil-ur-Rahman Qamar has a lot to do with the success of this drama. Of course the direction and acting are a major factors also but historically every drama written by KRQ has been a huge hit. Some of the classics he has written are;
    • Boota from Toba Tek Singh
    • Landa Bazar
    • Bunty I Love You
    • Pyarey Afzal
    Other dramas from his pen are;
    • Muhabbat har Muhabbat Jeet
    • Phir kab Milo gay
    • Manjali
    • Tumhain kuch yad hai jana
    • Us Paar
    • Mian Biwi minus love
    • Adhoori film ki poori kahani
    • Jab hateli par chand likhna
    For me, the biggest attractions to his drama are; his one-liners in those drama. He is brilliant with those.
    Somebody was saying that Sadqay Tumhare is a true store. In fact, the the names of the villages and towns used are real also and filmed on real locations. See all the towns and villages mentioned in this drama on google map.

re.jpg

36. karachigirl

karachigirl Tracer Bullet

Sep 6, 2011

Yeah. I was reading an interview in which Mahira Khan said they shot all over interior Sindh and lower Punjab, just to provide viewers an "authentic village setting", which was hard to do because of all the urbanization. Apparently, the story's based on the life story of Khalil ur Rahman - I don't know how true that is though.

Sadqay Tumhare's an excellent drama though. Can't wait until Friday. :)

37. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Bashar Momin ending this week. Interesting.

38. Jazba

Jazba Youngsta Beauty

Oct 30, 2014

That drama is pretty lame and unrealistic Stopped watching it when geo got banned. All Rudaaba does in that drama is weep and Faisal Quraishi tries to act like some kind of don from a typical Bollywood film.

39. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

lol true. Now she's suffering from Stockholm syndrome and likes him after getting tortured for so long.

40. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    I decided to start watching Bashar Momin this week and haven't actually got all the episodes recorded. Didn't have 1 and 3 I think and the 2 I've seen so far haven't really made me think that it's some epic or really good drama.

Faisal going around shouting loudly and arrogantly at everyone he comes across just looks plain stupid.

Btw, what's with all these names Rudaaba, Buland, Bashar? People now going to name their kids after this!